Front knuckle data sheet (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Malleus

Far west of Siegen
Threads
This was the other half of the recent front end work on my '95 DD. See previous data sheet post for steering parts.
1700085016404.png

Yes, I know Joey put this together as a poster, and it's much better than this. I have one. Or rather, I did have one; it's on my son's wall now.

These are my work notes. This will be included in my update to the 1995 FSM I posted in the 80 series Reference section.

The most useful information, for me, out of that work was the fact that the M6 screws which retain the half moon covers on the rear of the knuckle, and the felts and rubber seals, are about 4-mm too short. Installing them took an hour each side. Most of that time was spent trying to find a decent way to clamp everything so that the screws, which are too short to reach the holes when everything under them is uncompressed, would actually grab a thread and start. Total PITA. FWIW, I used the Terrain Tamer kit. The felts are very thick.

I replaced them all (all 12 of them) because I broke one getting it out, and the others didn't feel much stronger. The only way this design could have been worse is if the screws had screwdriver slots in the heads.

The parts I've annotated on my worksheet are not the ones listed in the EPC, which are supersession parts for the OEM 91655-40620. 20-mm is the correct length for 4-mm thread engagement, AFTER the seals are compressed fully under the half moon plates. However, the screw thread is only 16-mm under the lock and flat washers.

If you reuse the OEM screws, you won't see this problem, because the lockwashers has been compressed.

The tapped holes are deep enough to support a 25-mm long screw, which will engage without resorting to unnecessary shenanigans to get the stack tight enough to get the screw in the knuckle.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom