Hood and hatch lift installation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My hood and hatch lift supports need to be replaced. I've tracked done OEM parts at a fair price, but I'm wondering if there are any issues with installing these myself. Any challenges that might point to having a mechanic do it?

My hood and hatch lift supports need to be replaced. I've tracked done OEM parts at a fair price, but I'm wondering if there are any issues with installing these myself. Any challenges that might point to having a mechanic do it?
No issues DIY. Use a broom stick of some sort to support the hood while you change out one strut at a time. Same with the hatch. You can also use a ratchet strap to hold up the hatch and hood from the ceiling of your garage if you can.

lol nah man. It’ll be one of the easiest things you’ll do. I used a ratchet strap to hold the hatch and the hood and did one side at a time.

A moderately hands on soccer mom can handle this one easy with the typical suburban kitchen "junk drawer" tool kit. ;)

Go for it. :)

Thanks to all for the feedback. Much appreciated!

I also need hood lift supports. Can someone share a link? I just wanna make sure I'm buying the right thing. Sincerely, Soccer Dad

I also need hood lift supports. Can someone share a link? I just wanna make sure I'm buying the right thing. Sincerely, Soccer Dad
I've done many years of cheap Amazon hood lifts, ebay hood lifts and OEM hood lifts. I finally got sick of replacing the struts and purchased a a hood prop.
80 Series Land Cruiser Hood Prop Rod Kit - https://huddexpo.com/80-series-land-cruiser-hood-prop-rod-kit/

But if you still want the hood struts, get the OEM
53440-69015 SUPPORT ASSY, HOOD, RH
53450-69015 SUPPORT ASSY, HOOD, LH

I've done many years of cheap Amazon hood lifts, ebay hood lifts and OEM hood lifts. I finally got sick of replacing the struts and purchased a a hood prop.
80 Series Land Cruiser Hood Prop Rod Kit - https://huddexpo.com/80-series-land-cruiser-hood-prop-rod-kit/

But if you still want the hood struts, get the OEM
53440-69015 SUPPORT ASSY, HOOD, RH
53450-69015 SUPPORT ASSY, HOOD, LH
lol
I run both - struts and prop.
Haven't needed the prop but it's there when I do.

All 80's have the necessary holes to run both.
Be prepared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom