Compiled 80 series suspension component spec thread... shocks, coils & more. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

... I also was experiencing a bit of bottoming out in the rear this past weekend while wheeling( 3 adults in the rig and gear). I do have timbren extended bump stops to accommodate my 37's so it wasnt horrible, but I would like to avoid it. I like being only in a 2.5'' ish of lift, but at this point I don't fit in the garage anymore since adding my roof rack. should I swap out front and rear coils for 4''HD? I have all other suspension parts already swapped out to accommodate them. or do I just get 2864s or 2863j's in the rear? I had 2864's on a past heavily built 100 series and remember really liking the stability. I am leaning towards the 864's but I am open to suggestions.

Hey @DJCloz what did you end up going with? I am considering the Dobinson 4" springs in extra heavy duty - the C59-313 and C59-312

Linear Rate
Raised Height (4" Lift)
Extra Heavy Duty
200 - 350Kg Constant Load

I currently have a 4" Ironman lift w/315/75/16, but in the summer once I load on my RTT, rear kitchen setup, etc - the lift sags on the rear end. Airbags are another option, but if I can fix by simply replacing the springs, simpler is better IMO.

84595359_10162916077365273_3337355091261784064_o.jpg

131633458_10164411978075273_4525032385847013483_o.jpg

@asutherland I ended up going with the 864's in the rear with the 1'' spacers as well since I already had them. I could have probably done without the spacers, but I didn't want to go back in there to add them later. The truck feels really good. I would say more stable. its not rough at all. I wheeled it and the rear articulated just fine. If anything, I'm just thinking about it now, I think on extreme articulation, it made my front tires rub the inner front fenders now when before I had not really experienced that. I ended up trimming the front fenders a bit. I have not wheeled it since. Current hub to fender measurements are 23- 1/4'' front. 24'' rear

Thanks, sir. I am also looking at the 864's and 863Js.

My understanding so far: (obv correct me if wrong!)

Ironman (what I have now)
013C (rear) 490mm/497mm Good for 220lb extra weight

OME
2863J 510mm/520mm Good for 440lb extra weight
2864 480mm/490mm Good for 880lb extra weight

Dobinson
C59-313 545mm/555mm Good for ???lb extra weight.. rated "HDD"

That being said, the Dobinson 4" is likely too high for my liking, compared to what I have now.

Do you have any good side pics of the 2864s in your truck? With the 1" spacer? I just measured mine at exactly 24" (rear), from center of hub to edge of fender flare. With the Ironman's it currently has, with about half the weight it normally has in the summer. 24" is about where I like it. I don't think I would like any higher.

@RockShoes just went and measured his 2863Js, at 24" from hub center to flare edge.

Last edited:
I did some rough weight estimates. These don't include things that are normally carried on stock springs (except the spare tire), and don't cover skid plates or sliders or front bumper.

Tent 170 lb
Kitchen w/food and supplies 250 lb
Sub tank w/ diesel 130 lb
42L of water 93 lb
35" tire 65 lb
Rear bumper with swingout 250 lb

Total = 958 lbs extra

Starting to look like 2864 480mm/490mm (Good for 880lb extra weight) along with a 1" spacer what I need to have the same height as I currently do (when not loaded down)

Thanks, sir. I am also looking at the 864's and 863Js.

My understanding so far: (obv correct me if wrong!)

Ironman (what I have now)
013C (rear) 490mm/497mm Good for 220lb extra weight

OME
2863J 510mm/520mm Good for 440lb extra weight
2864 480mm/490mm Good for 880lb extra weight

Dobinson
C59-313 545mm/555mm Good for ???lb extra weight.. rated "HDD"

That being said, the Dobinson 4" is likely too high for my liking, compared to what I have now.

Do you have any good side pics of the 2864s in your truck? With the 1" spacer? I'll go measure mine shortly (with the Ironman's it currently has, with about half the weight it normally has in the summer) . When you say "hub to fender" measurements, are you doing center of hub to edge of fender flare?
correct, my measurement is center height of hub, to lowest pint of fender. ill get a side picture for you.

I did some rough weight estimates. These don't include things that are normally carried on stock springs (except the spare tire), and don't cover skid plates or sliders or front bumper.

Tent 170 lb
Kitchen Sink w/food and supplies 250 lb
Sub tank w/ diesel 130 lb
42L of water 93 lb
35" tire 65 lb
Rear bumper with swingout 250 lb

Total = 958 lbs extra

Starting to look like 2864 480mm/490mm (Good for 880lb extra weight) along with a 1" spacer what I need to have the same height as I currently do (when not loaded down)
Haha kitchen. I thought it said Kitchen Sink. Plenty of weight for sure!!!

Hey guys, guys... this is a suspension component specification thread. I had to stop you at the kitchen sink.
:bounce2::bounce::)

As I don't want to hijack the thread here....you should open up the comment section for that YouTube vid...or do you have a build on this for more info?

Got a build thread here: 80 Series 8020 Cruiser Kitchen Feel free to ask questions there ☺👍

@GW Nugget sorry for the unintended thread distraction!

To get back on suspension track, anyone here know if slinky springs have a version that can handle this kind of weight? Seen the flex with them and very impressed. In my experience though it's kind of one or the other...there doesn't seem to be any solution that does EVERYTHING great.

To get back on suspension track, anyone here know if slinky springs have a version that can handle this kind of weight? Seen the flex with them and very impressed. In my experience though it's kind of one or the other...there doesn't seem to be any solution that does EVERYTHING great.

Andrew, My truck is also super heavy especially on the rear axle. I have had multiple coils over the years 863,864,Slee heavy. I now have been on a set of 319 rear coils from Dobinsons and am completely happy and think finally done with my suspension setup. They are the heaviest rated coil I could find for our trucks from any brand and would suggest them, or maybe one lighter spec model down from the 319. I weighed my truck and the rear axle comes in between 4400# and 5000# depending on load. Effectively putting me at 2000-2500# of load compared to stock. Not sure if you weighed your truck before but it helps a ton with making sense of coil selection.
1EAD1770-1BDF-46FE-8C11-EBCAFBF99B23.jpeg

Finally installed Dobinson 4" Flexi Coils on my 80 this past weekend. Removed old OME J springs, but still running OME L shocks F&R.

Setup: 36" Iroks, ARB front bumper, 9k winch, TrailGear sliders, 4x4 labs rear bumper (no swingouts), no roof rack or 3rd row seats, spare tire laying flat inside.

Hub to bottom of fender flare: 24.75" at all 4 corners

Will post pictures soon.
So how is the ride and performance with this setup? I'm looking to purchase the same coils to replace OME J's and Heavies rear, but I'm using FOX IPF 2.0.

So how is the ride and performance with this setup? I'm looking to purchase the same coils to replace OME J's and Heavies rear, but I'm using FOX IPF 2.0.
Sorry, I just saw this. The ride is definitely better and not as firm. I’m sure it would be. better with different shocks too. Like others have noted, in turns it will have a little more sway until it hits the second rate I guess you call it. Nothing crazy at all, just different. I’m also not running a front sway bar.

Just wanted to chime in, I recently replaced my Tour Flex TDC-949/3HF rear springs with Dobinson's C97-145VT (3" Heavy) and gained 3/4" on the passenger side and 1 1/4" on the driver side when fully loaded (had a spacer on the driver side with the Tour Flex I was able to forego.)

Both springs seem to ride and handle similarly (which is to say, quite well, much plusher ride albeit with noticeably more lean than my OMEs had) but wanted to share my experience for those who run particularly heavy (drawers, fridge, water, spare tire, spare parts etc.)

1611597862495.png

I recently bought an HDJ81. I’d like to keep the factory suspension because I like the way it drives. Any recommendations on a shock that will gain me more droop? Preferably not enough droop to spit out coils on full droop.

Just wanted to chime in, I recently replaced my Tour Flex TDC-949/3HF rear springs with Dobinson's C97-145VT (3" Heavy) and gained 3/4" on the passenger side and 1 1/4" on the driver side when fully loaded (had a spacer on the driver side with the Tour Flex I was able to forego.)

Both springs seem to ride and handle similarly (which is to say, quite well, much plusher ride albeit with noticeably more lean than my OMEs had) but wanted to share my experience for those who run particularly heavy (drawers, fridge, water, spare tire, spare parts etc.)

View attachment 2564640

Do you have before and/or after hub to fender measurements?

Do you have before and/or after hub to fender measurements?
Yeah--I'm at 23.25" driver, 23" passenger on the Dobinson's, and was at 22", 22.25" with the Tour Flex.

@asutherland I ended up going with the 864's in the rear with the 1'' spacers as well since I already had them. I could have probably done without the spacers, but I didn't want to go back in there to add them later. The truck feels really good. I would say more stable. its not rough at all. I wheeled it and the rear articulated just fine. If anything, I'm just thinking about it now, I think on extreme articulation, it made my front tires rub the inner front fenders now when before I had not really experienced that. I ended up trimming the front fenders a bit. I have not wheeled it since. Current hub to fender measurements are 23- 1/4'' front. 24'' rear
Am i reading your sig correctly in seeing 37s on a 2in lift? got a build thread?

Am i reading your sig correctly in seeing 37s on a 2in lift? got a build thread?
correct, however at this point its more like a 2.5'' lift. I did quit a bit of work with extended bump stops and inner fender trimming to make it work and more importantly wheelable. I started out with just 2'' ironman coils, but then added some spacers up front. I am at about 2.5'' of lift now. I do not have a build thread. I really should take the time to do one. I highly recommend a low lift and 37's. I can wheel anything without a problem and my truck still feels really good on the highway doing 85 MPH. Prior to getting a roof rack, I still fit in the garage too. I did have 1'' spacers in the rear for a week or 2, but I ended up removing them. The truck sits level with just the 864's in the rear now. and the weight of the armor, drawers, gear and fridge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom