Compiled 80 series suspension component spec thread... shocks, coils & more. (3 Viewers)

Min Req: at least 35" tires, 1 locker, winch
Last year early summer I changed out my Slee 6" to ~3" Dobinson coils. I chose the c97-144vt 3-3.5" in front and the c59-615v 4" flexi for the rear with plans to put spacers in the front to level it out once the springs settled to ride height. After some testing and measuring I realized I hadn't lost nearly any down travel in front or rear and I enjoyed how much better the truck drove on and off road. I like the very planted and understeery feel with the lowered height in front and decided I don't want to make it taller after all.

I measured my "actual lift height" according to the diagram posted in this thread from Toyota by measuring the coil spring bumper heights. By that scale it appears I have about ~2.75" lift in the front and ~3.7" in the rear according to the 1991-1992 years numbers. I would have guessed more like 3" front and 5" rear by the amount of stink it still has.

With all the spring options listed from multiple manufactures I don't see why there is such a big gap in free heights and not really many variances in options for ~2.5" rear coils. If I want a 1" lower spring than the 3" Flexi the free height of the coil drops by 3.6" in total.

Essentially I'm looking for a true 2.5-3" spring thats free height is as least as tall as my Slee 6". Like a 2" flexi, which would theoretically have a free height of 20.5" but there is nothing even remotely close from any company I can find.

Rear spring specs:
Slee 6" med/heavy- 20.25"/20.7" free height
Dob 4" Flexi- 22.6" free height (these only lowered my height by ~.5" from the Slee 6")
Dob 3" Flexi- 21.5" free height (these only lowered my height by ~.25-.5" from the 4" Flexi)
Dob 2" VT- 21.25" free height (have been told these will be around same height as a 3" Flexi on a light truck)
Dob c59-223v 1.75-2.5"- 17.7" free height (next closest in free height)

No intentions on adding a rear bumper swing out, roof rack, drawers, or fridge. Input appreciated.
Cruiser 1.jpg

The day I put the 3" front and 4" rear in it seemed pretty level.
Cruiser 6.jpg

Dropped down to 3" rear springs after the front settled down.
Cruiser 5.jpg

How it sits now. Kind of a bad angle, but it's pretty much sitting flat and not flexed or stuffed on any corner.
Cruiser 2.jpg

Cruiser 4.jpg

Tapage

Club 4X4 Panamá
You haven't extend your coil search to OME coils .? they have few options on 2" - 3" range different spring rates.

Min Req: at least 35" tires, 1 locker, winch
You haven't extend your coil search to OME coils .? they have few options on 2" - 3" range different spring rates.
Yeah I have. This is as close as I can find:

OME 3040- 20.1" free height (3" lift 250lbs/in) I think these could provide as much lift as my current 3" 175/275lb flexi
OME 2860- 19.1" free height (0.5'-2.0" lift 220lbs/in) I doubt I can run my tires on this low of a lift.

You can run '6" lift shocks' on most 3-4" lift coils. I'm have to keep running a 29" length, 12" travel shock because I can use all the up travel it has and would over compress a shorter one.

EDIT:
In my searches I overlooked 2 options listed on the first page that could work in the parameters I was searching.

3" ICON 53006 ~20" free height (220/280lbs)
2" TJM 770RR80C- 20.3" free height (145/250lbs) Going to try these

Last edited:
Last year early summer I changed out my Slee 6" to ~3" Dobinson coils. I chose the c97-144vt 3-3.5" in front and the c59-615v 4" flexi for the rear with plans to put spacers in the front to level it out once the springs settled to ride height. After some testing and measuring I realized I hadn't lost nearly any down travel in front or rear and I enjoyed how much better the truck drove on and off road. I like the very planted and understeery feel with the lowered height in front and decided I don't want to make it taller after all.

I measured my "actual lift height" according to the diagram posted in this thread from Toyota by measuring the coil spring bumper heights. By that scale it appears I have about ~2.75" lift in the front and ~3.7" in the rear according to the 1991-1992 years numbers. I would have guessed more like 3" front and 5" rear by the amount of stink it still has.

With all the spring options listed from multiple manufactures I don't see why there is such a big gap in free heights and not really many variances in options for ~2.5" rear coils. If I want a 1" lower spring than the 3" Flexi the free height of the coil drops by 3.6" in total.

Essentially I'm looking for a true 2.5-3" spring thats free height is as least as tall as my Slee 6". Like a 2" flexi, which would theoretically have a free height of 20.5" but there is nothing even remotely close from any company I can find.

Rear spring specs:
Slee 6" med/heavy- 20.25"/20.7" free height
Dob 4" Flexi- 22.6" free height (these only lowered my height by ~.5" from the Slee 6")
Dob 3" Flexi- 21.5" free height (these only lowered my height by ~.25-.5" from the 4" Flexi)
Dob 2" VT- 21.25" free height (have been told these will be around same height as a 3" Flexi on a light truck)
Dob c59-223v 1.75-2.5"- 17.7" free height (next closest in free height)

No intentions on adding a rear bumper swing out, roof rack, drawers, or fridge. Input appreciated.
View attachment 2575751
The day I put the 3" front and 4" rear in it seemed pretty level.
View attachment 2575760
Dropped down to 3" rear springs after the front settled down.
View attachment 2575764
How it sits now. Kind of a bad angle, but it's pretty much sitting flat and not flexed or stuffed on any corner.
View attachment 2575765
View attachment 2575766
Sweet set up for your toy! My buddy got this 4BT80 project we'll work on after we finished installing the bumpers from 4Wheelonline onto the current Silverado project. We'll definitely consider your set up here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom