Compiled 80 series suspension component spec thread... shocks, coils & more. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It was OEM Springs used in their “small” lift kits. So I’m kinda right and kinda wrong at the same time lol.
I wonder if the OME coils were or are really silver? @sleeoffroad ???

oops. that I our new site that is not live yet.

only 2" SLEE spring we have is SOF2RH that is used in our 100 kits. can be used in 80 as well for heavy spring but 1" less lift than OME 2863.
So are the OME coils going to be silver like in the pic?

stock height

gents,
looks like i need to find where i have this thread printed out and re-read it. but in the meantime can anyone help me figure out do there are any metrics or any consensus regarding ome, tokico, dobinsons, bilstein, tough dog etcetera for a stock height suspension replacement?
i’m not going rebuildable shock because this is my daily and i am not sure how i would send something off and have it parked in the street. also i am not sure i like service intervals on my shocks. and i think i have also finally committed to stock height.
but are there actual measurable metrics i should look at in deciding what to buy? is there a consensus and if not is there at least a consensus on which shock does what best for a stock height suspension.
advance apologies if this is a debatable topic i am just trying to drive a stake through an issue i find exceedingly a pita.
if i am not mistaken my local LC ship likes tough dog?
if i have the terminology right i do plan to off road but don’t plan to wheel it.

stock height

gents,
looks like i need to find where i have this thread printed out and re-read it. but in the meantime can anyone help me figure out do there are any metrics or any consensus regarding ome, tokico, dobinsons, bilstein, tough dog etcetera for a stock height suspension replacement?
i’m not going rebuildable shock because this is my daily and i am not sure how i would send something off and have it parked in the street. also i am not sure i like service intervals on my shocks. and i think i have also finally committed to stock height.
but are there actual measurable metrics i should look at in deciding what to buy? is there a consensus and if not is there at least a consensus on which shock does what best for a stock height suspension.
advance apologies if this is a debatable topic i am just trying to drive a stake through an issue i find exceedingly a pita.
if i am not mistaken my local LC ship likes tough dog?
if i have the terminology right i do plan to off road but don’t plan to wheel it.
I have read more times then not the OEM stock shocks work great with stock height coils. THEY RIDE LIKE STOCK. That's my recommendation.

I have read more times then not the OEM stock shocks work great with stock height coils. THEY RIDE LIKE STOCK. That's my recommendation.
hey man. just so i am clear, we are talking stock height coils from toyota or lexus and the tokico OEM shocks?
i do know somewhere in here (?) it says the stick LX coils are plusher and 80 series are firmer? can i also ask you about 100 series coils? were guys putting 100 series coils on the 80’s for some reason?
apologies if this is particularly thick headed. i understand shocks on my motorcycle but somehow 80 series shocks sort of trip me up a good deal...

Last edited:
OEM fronts are no more, but rears can be purchased see bottom of 1st page. Also many after market mfg. have stock height coils. Tough Dog, Dobinson, OME etc... My recommendation is dual rate coils what ever brand you like...

Happy trails to you...

So.. here's my contribution to the thread.

These are the heaviest OEM front springs that 80's came with from the factory. Equipped on trucks with 1HD turbo diesel and mechanical (PTO) winch (which is the combination that i have). It required a lot of work and $$$ to find them brand new.

Part number 48131-6A760
20.25" tall. 8.5 wraps. 0.583" wire diameter.

20200413_223227.jpg

Thanks, it's now on the 1st post.
.583" is almost 15mm it's going to defiantly less than a 200# rate.

Hi,

What would you guys recommend for a 3” lift that’s not fairly harsh? Mostly paved road and occasional trail/offroad but nothing crazy. Car isn’t armored or loaded with gear. What are good ootions? I tried reading the 1st page but having difficulty wrapping my head around it. Thank you

Hi,

What would you guys recommend for a 3” lift that’s not fairly harsh? Mostly paved road and occasional trail/offroad but nothing crazy. Car isn’t armored or loaded with gear. What are good ootions? I tried reading the 1st page but having difficulty wrapping my head around it. Thank you
Any dual rate coil would be better in my opinion... I like tapered wire coils even more. Slinky, Dobinson, TourFlex etc...

Dobinsons C97-146VT and C97-147VT Variable Tapered coils 23.5 front and 23.5 rear center of hub to top of flare (1/2 tank of gas in the auxiliary).

20200515_165755.jpg

II don't know if this has already been covered... I switched from Slinky Intermediate to Heavy rear springs. Before, ride height was 23" front and 23" rear. New height is 23" front and 24" rear, unloaded, with an ARB rear bumper and a passenger side swingout:

hwuoCedh.jpg

Hey guys,

Looking to add a ~2" lift to my '92 HDJ81. I'm planning to add White Knuckle Sliders first (~130 lbs), but otherwise it had stock bumpers (w/ OEM electric winch), stock dual battery setup, and a Prinsu roof rack w/ Rhino Rack awning. Eventually plan to add front and rear bumpers, but probably not for a few months.

Want to keep it around $1k so looking at the OME and Dobinsons kits. With the above setup, should I stick with the stock weight springs, or would medium weight work and still give room for bumper upgrades?

Thx in advance.

Hey guys,

Looking to add a ~2" lift to my '92 HDJ81. I'm planning to add White Knuckle Sliders first (~130 lbs), but otherwise it had stock bumpers (w/ OEM electric winch), stock dual battery setup, and a Prinsu roof rack w/ Rhino Rack awning. Eventually plan to add front and rear bumpers, but probably not for a few months.

Want to keep it around $1k so looking at the OME and Dobinsons kits. With the above setup, should I stick with the stock weight springs, or would medium weight work and still give room for bumper upgrades?

Thx in advance.
I suggest buying the springs to suit the weight you'll be adding to the truck in the short term, otherwise you probably won't have the correctly rated springs to suit the additional bumper weight when you add that. And bumper weight causes leverage over the front and rear suspension too, so it's important to get the spring choice right to be at the height you want to be riding at.

Folks this is a specification thread.
Please keep the "what lift should I get" questions to another thread.

Thank uou for your time & consideration.

Another Slinky spec shock should be available soon and sold by Mill Creek Overland along with the rest of the Slinky stuff. I had been working on getting a set of these through some back channels for a few months and they arrived this past week. Moving forward Mill Creek will be the ones bringing them into the US. I'm unsure of what their final pricing is so I can't answer that question, other than to say these are a significant jump in cost from the Stage 4 shocks that are already available. Specs on these are more or less identical to the Stage 4 Slinky 2.5 remote reservoir shocks, but with the added dual bypass tubes and separate adjustment for rebound and compression.

I don't have many miles on these yet and haven't given them any real test to provide solid feedback yet, but hopefully will get a chance to do some better testing soon.

Stage 5 Slinky spec dual bypass 2.5 shocks.
Stage5 Slinky by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Stage5 Slinky by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

I have finally done the unthinkable and returned to pin mount shocks. I put the Ironman Foam Cell Pro on my 2” lifted ‘04 4Runner and was so blown away that I have them on my 80 and also in the rear of my lifted ‘04 Sequoia.

I am using the 4” lift spec shocks with 4” Dobinson Flexi coils. I could have run the 6” lift shocks, but as I’ve maintained over time, I prefer balance over excess extension. Yes, those are stock radius arms.

244C179F-9601-4C1C-A984-6EF480BEC4A6.jpeg

I’ve pretty much rallied this setup last weekend shuttling up and down the mountain (Forest service road) for an enduro bike race with 4 people and four bikes on a vertical mount rack (about 200 lbs) and the performance was flawless.

Oh, and I ditched the horrid rear swaybar so don’t have any swaybars now. It’s so dialed.

The “LFE1” models are the 4” and “LFE3” are the 6” with extended/compressed in millimeters. The compressed numbers include a 30” external rubber shock bump stop. It’s not clear to me whether or not you need that if you have extended bump stops, but I went ahead and installed them even though they won’t do anything.

AD545B9F-CC6D-4EA5-9CA4-EEED022F67DA.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom