Builds "Chunk+12ht" version 2.0 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had to bail out of SAS3 due to work. I was hoping to redeem myself for breaking down last year and not getting there. Now my goal is to get the 40 back as a driver before the one year anniversary of it getting shunned to the backyard.
The 40 will be sweet when you're done. Bummer about SAS3 but that's a tough situation.
I have every reason in the world to bail on this truck but if I do it will probably prove my worst fear when I took the project on, never getting it done.
I liquidated all my classic muscle car stuff I had been building up since I was 15 to buy the Cruisers I figured were "now or never" to buy into. The next thing I have to learn is to not give up living to just restore them. I intend to pace myself and work on them for fun, not to kick my own butt to get them done for a deadline. Sort of an epic fail on this one. The next one will be different......

The 40 will be sweet when you're done. Bummer about SAS3 but that's a tough situation.
I have every reason in the world to bail on this truck but if I do it will probably prove my worst fear when I took the project on, never getting it done.
I liquidated all my classic muscle car stuff I had been building up since I was 15 to buy the Cruisers I figured were "now or never" to buy into. The next thing I have to learn is to not give up living to just restore them. I intend to pace myself and work on them for fun, not to kick my own butt to get them done for a deadline. Sort of an epic fail on this one. The next one will be different......
I feel the same way. Sometime I have to just forget about all the trucks and take time off. It’s easier to do that right now due to the blistering heat outside.
Having said that deadlines are the only thing to keep me pushing forward.

Pat, you’re timing is reminiscent of mine 2 years ago. I ended up picking the mission critical items on my punch list. Plus I had some serious help from @CaptClose @fl4031003 (Ryan and Jeff) along with my son. That last week they were at the barn most every day. Terrible thing about it I’m still trying to finish the non critical items on that punch list. Wish we were closer...would be great to throw in a few extra hands.

Pat, you’re timing is reminiscent of mine 2 years ago. I ended up picking the mission critical items on my punch list. Plus I had some serious help from @CaptClose @fl4031003 (Ryan and Jeff) along with my son. That last week they were at the barn most every day. Terrible thing about it I’m still trying to finish the non critical items on that punch list. Wish we were closer...would be great to throw in a few extra hands.
@CaptClose even lended his hand to hold the TC in low range. I still don't know how you put that thing together in time especially in the heat of our summer.

@CaptClose even lended his hand to hold the TC in low range. I still don't know how you put that thing together in time especially in the heat of our summer.
Ha...I forgot about that. Agree on questioning it. Better lucky than good is what I say. Got through those two weeks in CO and WY with only a few issues. Nothing that stopped the trip though which was pure luck :).

It's OK to miss events. Sometimes you have to slow down to enjoy what your working on and not get burned out. There's always next year!

What also helps is having good friends come over to help out on the big milestones (pulling engine, removing chassis, etc.). That's how I eat the proverbial elephant. One bite at a time. It also helps that I don't suffer from OCD....or CDO like @bottombracket says. 😀👍

Unfortunately I have a herd of elephants.

Closer. Almost out from underneath it. If I hot my head on something again I might take a crowbar to it. Taller barn=higher lift. Glad I have what I have tho.
20190705_232055.jpg
20190706_182428.jpg
20190706_182341.jpg

My oldest daughter braved the heat and humidity to clean the seats and the headliner. I'm going to use the original seats for now for quick and easy install. They came out pretty nice. One of them is still wet so it looks worse. The fronts are getting SOR Tuff Duck covers too.
20190706_183159.jpg

20190706_183213.jpg
20190706_183732.jpg

I also did an order for new door panels from Australian Door Cards. I selected the grey option. Hopefully the greys match up ok. They figured I should have them in 10 days-ish so that works. I like the clean look of them.
Screenshot_20190706-183920_Chrome.jpg

Man what a nice 60!
Thank you. It is not perfect. The body work is trail worthy not trailer worthy. I went after plating bolts and such mainly for clean reassembly. The powder coating makes sense because that is what I do for a living.
It will get dirty and grubby soon enough.

I am way beyond ready to start enjoying it vs. working on it!

I agree assembling an entire fj60 with new plated bolts and powder coated parts makes it nice very nice next time i go as deap in a project as i am plated bolts will be a must i have spent way to much time cleaning and painting bolts but i love oem toyota bolts.
Keep up the good work man
Tommy

I also did an order for new door panels from Australian Door Cards. I selected the grey option. Hopefully the greys match up ok. They figured I should have them in 10 days-ish so that works. I like the clean look of them.
View attachment 2022407

Those look cool. I like the exposed painted metal which is usually covered by the factory panels. What do you do about the inner window scraper seal that is part of the OEM door card?

Those look cool. I like the exposed painted metal which is usually covered by the factory panels. What do you do about the inner window scraper seal that is part of the OEM door card?
It snaps in there without the factory door panel. At least I think so lol. Same with the outside, I think I am going to punt the stainless strip and just use the weatherstrip.

I will keep posted how that all goes down.

I agree assembling an entire fj60 with new plated bolts and powder coated parts makes it nice very nice next time i go as deap in a project as i am plated bolts will be a must i have spent way to much time cleaning and painting bolts but i love oem toyota bolts.
Keep up the good work man
Tommy

Thanks.
The bolts cost me $30 each time I took a pile in. I did 4 runs of kind of topic related stuff just to keep the guessing game down a bit. I may do one more run but not sure yet. I don't think I will do another resto without plating bolts.

I hope this one works out but it looks really promising. HGSI "The sensor connection " for an egt probe and display. I wanted a nice factory looking display to avoid the gauge pod look. Auto Meter is awesome but round displays are all I could find, and pricey. These guys are in Michigan (greatest state in the union imo) and do industrial stuff mainly. I think I went way too long on the probe so I might be getting another one, my mistake.
Total cost $136.78 which is awesome.

My plan is to take the 4wd blank on the 60 and turn it sideways to mount the guage. Will take some fiddling but time is on my side o_O. Anyway I am pretty stoked on this one and I will keep the results posted, good or bad.
20190706_212604.jpg
20190706_212628.jpg
20190706_211107.jpg
20190706_211424.jpg

Heres the spot I plan to put it turned 90°
20190706_210904.jpg
20190706_210926.jpg

I went back and looked and the reason I bought the 6' thermocouple is because it is the shortest they have. I may have to coil it up under the dash. Not optimus prime bit will do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom