Cheap tricks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've never used the Self drilling/tapping screws with rubber washer to fix a leak.. but I have used them inplace of bolts for tons of projects... no need to ever worry about a stripped out hole again.... I put togther the entire hardtop of my last FJ40 with these..... used two different sizes.. also used them to replace the upper and lower fenders on an FJ55. I use my battery powered drill to run them with a homed made extension that fits the needed sockets.

My last FJ55 had a header... kept coming lose... So I found the proper studs and studded all the bolt holes.... then bought a kevlar gasket and never had any leaks again. Also did this with the last water pump I replaced on another FJ40 I owned.

This one I got from running VW Baja's... Im just going to add it in cause you never know... We hit something that busted off the ends of both spark plugs on the passengers side of the engine... I found some bailing wire and ran it and duct taped it to the remaining part of the plug then curled the other end and stuck on the plugwire... it ran good enough to get me home which was an hour away.

Alternator crap out... running off battery? Ive rebuilt plenty of Alts... not an LC alt yet but this has worked good enuff to get me home... Pull the brushes and turn them around... or if you can flip them so the flat part is back down... this has worked more then once for me when I couldnt afford to replace the brushes yet..... I drove around in one rig for over a month like this before I finally replaced the alternator.

Cant reach an area to thread in a bolt or nut... use extra fuel, vacuum, etc.. line as an extension... works with spark plugs too..

Have a hole in the muffler from trail damage.... soda can cut in half and wire work till you can afford to get it fixed.... I've also used heavy duty tin foil..

Oh and dont forget to place antiseize on all suspension parts. They come off a lot easier the next time around.

Last edited:
If you ever get completely stopped by a worn out clutch and need to get home/to the shop, you can get a couple thousand more miles out of it with baby powder. Put some in a squeezy container (like a mustard bottle) and blast it into the clutch through whatever opening you can. Beside the clutch fork boot works pretty good. It helps if a friend holds the clutch peddle down.

lowenbrau said:
If you ever get completely stopped by a worn out clutch and need to get home/to the shop, you can get a couple thousand more miles out of it with baby powder. Put some in a squeezy container (like a mustard bottle) and blast it into the clutch through whatever opening you can. Beside the clutch fork boot works pretty good. It helps if a friend holds the clutch peddle down.

??? How does that work? JB Weld does work wonders, especially JB Kwik if you need it. piggybacking off of the nut welded onto the broken bolt, you can also use another bolt if you need better access to it or something (tight spot, etc.)

Had my trans go out once and I added "Heat" (you k now, for your gas in the cold weather) to it and it got me another 100 miles!

Stuck on the road and can't get a ride? Have your woman flash her breasts and guys will be stopping to help you out left and right!

Stuck in traffic? Don't forget in gear your starter will take you 20-30 feet pretty easy, just start cranking!

old inner tubes are great for gasket material for things like 40 w/s hinges, door hinges, 55 mirrors.

not sure if this is a cheap trick but hey worked for me one time.

I was broken down in a wash in the desert, miles from nobody and nothing. Top radiator hose split all the way down the middle,

used duct tape and a bbq to melt the seams, used about 3/4 of a roll, ended up in a large duct tape hose, but it worked!

noah

I thought everyone knew this but I guess not. I was over at my buddies house and he was drilling through his trunk right over the gas tank.
If you dont own a "drill stop" Wrap the drill bit in tape so you can drill through the metal but it wont go in too deep.

Another one on the broken bolt. If the bolt is too stuck to get out with an easyout or the welded nut method, and must be drilled out and tapped, use a dremel tool with the little diamond cutter attachment. Use the dremel tool to dig out a starter hole in the center of the bolt as a guide for the drillbit. Small drillbits break alot. Also, while drilling periodically use the dremel to break up the forward wall so the drillbit has something to bite, makes the drilling go faster.

my freinds trick for trail beaters

if your cooling system is qestionable when pressurized leave the rad cap on the first click so it doesnt have to build up pressure

chief said:
Another easy way to remove a pilot bearing is to pack it with grease just cram it in until it won't take any more then insert a tight fitting rod or bolt and hit it with a hammer . hydralic pressure will force the bearing out easy as pie

used that one before, works like a charm

When a steel automatic transmission line breaks, a rubber hose with clamps can be used as a temporary fix. Usually the lack of transmission fluid will be a problem tho. Water will work for a ways before it steams away. If you have beer do not ever pour beer in the transmission. Drink it first and then pee into a container and pour into the transmission. This trick got me us back 30 miles to town and repairs. and we didn't waste a single beer. It just took a little longer than it could have but who cares. :beer:

:eek: i think that's even worse than me pouring dr pepper into the radiator of my dodge when i was towing the 45 home.

chief said:
When a steel automatic transmission line breaks, a rubber hose with clamps can be used as a temporary fix. Usually the lack of transmission fluid will be a problem tho. Water will work for a ways before it steams away. If you have beer do not ever pour beer in the transmission. Drink it first and then pee into a container and pour into the transmission. This trick got me us back 30 miles to town and repairs. and we didn't waste a single beer. It just took a little longer than it could have but who cares. :beer:

That's crazy, but hey if it works for YOU. So how in the hell did you get all the "water" out of the trans/cooler? I think I'll leave the beast there and bring back some ATF before I risk roastin the trans, just me. I just don't see water having much lubricating qualities. One situation where a cell phone or CB would be nice.

Can,t find that exhaust manifold leak??With cold engine remove air filter and duct tape carb/throttle body opening shut.Hook up shop vac to tailpipe to blow air into exhaust and spritz some soapy water around manifold.The leak will show as bubbles!!

Pass emissions by pouring a quart of denatured alcohol in an almost empty gas tank. Make sure the new gas/alcohol mixture has reached the carb. :grinpimp:

If you are out of coolant, pee in the radiator. If that isn't enough,
drink 6 beers then pee in the radiator again. Repeat process until
radiator is full. Drive home if you are capable.

If you let that happen...........you deserve to suffer the consequences. :doh: :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom