greencruiser round 2 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so I built my cruiser up over the years from many different parts and its worked quite well with soa 305qjet stock 4spd and 4.10s welded rear with 60 srprings and traction bar on 37s. but the qjet just wasnt as good as i wanted when in real steep situations aswell the gearing just wasnt enough.

so i figured it was time change a few things around so i aquired a recently rebuilt 350 tbi from an 89 burban, sm465 and a 3spd case i had kicking around. and now ive finally been getting enough time to work on it. so as it sits now i have tubed the front end and done a shackle reversal moving the front end forward about 4 inches. modified some of the sheet metal to fit back in around the tube. welded the spiders in the front third and a built a long spline cv driveshaft with the trail gear kit and a minitruck cv. the tbi motor is in and almost ready to be wired up. i bought a howell harness to try to speed things up but still have to cut into it and adjust some of the wires. made a twinstick for the 465/3spd and waiting on a clip and pivot ball for a cast clutch fork

also decided to tap the steering box for ram assist
PB100071sm.JPG
P1070195sm.JPG
P1080197sm.JPG

couple more pics of the cruiser as it sits
P1110183sm.JPG
P1110184sm.JPG
P1110189sm.JPG

might still add some more tube in the front of the winch

shock hoops were there from way back when i first did soa i used my arc welder and they work good but welds arent nearly as nice as the ones im getting now with a lincoln mig 180. i plan on building removable tube fenders and reworking my stock inners to fit around the tube

and heres what the tube looked like before i started assembling it
PC120110sm.JPG

got a few more things done recently, finally got the pivot ball and clip for the cast clutch fork got it together and put the tranny and t case in the other night. worked out really nice with a come along off the roll cage.

stupid thing i did was cut the t case mounts off the frame thinking that they would be back further and they ended up going on right in the same place. oh well its all back in again.

also heated up the shifters and bent them to get them in the right spots.

theres no way im gonna build this cruiser with no heater or defrost, so I had to modify the heater to clear the shifter. just cut the bottom out and welded it back up turned out nice and the flap on the bottom can still open:beer::beer:
P1250235.JPG
P1250237.JPG

git that junk done and come down with Joel some time!

I like what you're doing, thinking about a TBI engine install in the future myself. When you get to the wiring it up part, I wouldn't mind seeing what you do there. Thanks for posting !!:cheers:

cant wait to get er done and will definatley be going wheelin with the blackflag crew!

for the wiring im using a slightly modified howell universal tbi harness, and still need to get the old exhaust back in with the heated o2sens and also get a new speedo cable with a vss , plumb fuel lines and the list goes on........

should able to fire it up in a few weeks

Oh and I'd run a cross member across the engine connecting the shock hoops, Too Tall trashed his tube fenders right quick when he did his. You could just put flanges on to bolt it in. You might even be able to make it tight enough to the top of the manifold to fit under the air cleaner.

Wow, looking good! I am working on the same drive train right now...SBC 350 w/TBI conversion and I just acquired an SM465. How did you mate it to the 3spd TC? The AA kit? Would love to see more pics. I will be interested to see how you deal with the TBI wiring - I'm working on it right now, though I am using the stock GM harness.

Keep up the good work.

its actually the steel plate from classic cruisers it costed me over 500 by the time i got here to vancouver island but oh well the 465 was only $50 so it evens out somehow. I drilled and tapped it myself and also made a special locking washer system to hold the gear on.

heres a few pics of the output shaft being drilled and tapped
PB080032.JPG
PB080045.JPG
PB080049.JPG

Last edited:
I got an AA one that I would have sold you for way cheaper than that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom