Cheap tricks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A spare Birf from my '82 FJ40 will work in a '97 FZJ80. There will be no ABS braking, however, as there is no reluctor ring on the Birf from my 40. This got a friend of mine home from deep on the trail one day when he grenaded one of his birfields.

Clyde-2 said:
If you are out of coolant, pee in the radiator. If that isn't enough,
drink 6 beers then pee in the radiator again. Repeat process until
radiator is full. Drive home if you are capable.

3483-1-red_dawn.jpg

If you have a pin hole in a steel line, you can hit it with a punch ant a slight angle to mash the sides in and block the leak.

Haven't done it yet, but heard toothpaste will work on a leaky radiator drain cock.

FJBen said:

Ben.........Can't believe I forgot about that scene. I've only seen tha movie a hundred times. Maybe it was subliminal!!! Next time I'm in CO, I'll buy you a
beer!!

Ultima RB said:
When trying to clean your hands with turps and you don't want to waste half a bottle. Get some newspaper, scrunch it up, pour onto the paper and let it soak in. Then use the scrunched newspaper like a piece of soap/scrubbing brush.

WTF is turps? Dude they sell sponges and brushes in the stores here :eek: Seems that the ink would get your hands dirty at the same time you are trying to clean them. No, that sounds pretty innovative man. I might have to try it to see :D .

turpentine....

it's some form of hydrocarbon... a bit like paint thinners

Ya turpentine popped into my mind when I was on the can. I get it, but still the hand cleaner at the parts store is pretty good to wash with too. But never add water to your hands until the soap has broken down all the grease. My buddies will always get a handful of it and get their hands all wet and their hands just stay greasy.

Yeh turpentine, I dunno what you guys call it in the states. Used for cleaning up after painting. From my experience, soap doesn't work too well with oil based enamel paint and bituman paint. Also, you won't destroy those new sponges bought from the store. Just throw out the newspaper.

Anyone ever washed their greasy clothes after working on the truck and they came out just as dirty? Try adding a couple cans of coke to the wash. The "Carabolic acid" is supposed to attract the grease and pull it out of the material. I am not sure about the science of it, but I know it works.
If your a lazy single guy like myself and leave your dishes sit, soak them in water and throw in a dryer sheet, after an hour it wipes clean.

If you engine is over heating turn up the heat. The heater cores act as additional radiators. Not fun inside the rig but bettrer than walking.

ok i got a few. first are some i stole from the magazine four wheeler, who retired their cheap tricks page.
1. put rice inside of off road lights to prevent foggin up. rice absorbs water.
2. the other is to use bike inertubes and cut them up for rubber bands.

i have like 30 more but i cant think of them right now.

one i use all the time is when you have a nut or bolt inside a pipe or something where you cant get a box wrench put a flat/blade screwdriver inbetween teh nut head and the walll of the tube and the head wont turn. i found this is very nice when trying to bolt something through the top of framerails.

rusty_tlc said:
If you engine is over heating turn up the heat. The heater cores act as additional radiators. Not fun inside the rig but bettrer than walking.

additional... if your thermostat isn't opening, causing major heat buildup this can also sometimes allow enough pressure (for want of a better term) to pop it open

PUPTLAM said:
Anyone ever washed their greasy clothes after working on the truck and they came out just as dirty? Try adding a couple cans of coke to the wash. The "Carabolic acid" is supposed to attract the grease and pull it out of the material. I am not sure about the science of it, but I know it works.
If your a lazy single guy like myself and leave your dishes sit, soak them in water and throw in a dryer sheet, after an hour it wipes clean.

Well I was working on one of my rigs one evening when the wife was out shopping. I happened to be wearing a brand new pair of jeans she had just bought me.... well I think we pretty much know what happens next.... I got grease all over then.... Fearing for my life I smeared some of that Orange hand cleaner that has the citrus in it... I then rolled up the jeans and placed them in a plastic bag and put it under the shop bench. Washed up and a few hours later I threw it in the washer with the hottest water with soap. Came out like new with no stains and I didnt have to sleep in the dog house.

I would like to get some of that pure liquid orange cleaner.

When deciding where to drill holes in a piece you want to attach to a tapped hole(s), take a sacrificial bolt, cut of the head, and grind the cut off end to a point. Screw it in the tapped hole until the point is slightly above the surface, hold the piece in the position you want, and smack it with a hammer. You now have a mark to drill. I often hit the mark again with an auto centerpunch. I keep a few of the "tools" in various sizes and thread pitches.

Not that this will apply to a 40 but with a newer rad. that has the "plastic" on it like in the 80s the black ABS cement will fix a fairly large crack. I've seen this work for months! Use many coats!

Learnt this one today from the boss, asked him about fitting new clamps to battery cables.

Strip back the inch of sheath and expose the cable to put into the clamp screws but slip an inch of 'half-inch' copper pipe over it before hand. This will keep the strands in the cable real tight and undamaged and they wont spread out away from the screw. The copper pipe might even be too large for the job but you can slice a section out like I did in the pics

cut.JPG

wrapped.JPG

tight.JPG

Nice one :cool:

Thougth I'd throw this one out there

Everyone prolly knows this but, rather than buying hood cushions you can just cut 5 inches or so of vacuum hose and stuff each end into the original holes to keep from rubbin. Looks the same and works just as well.

Oh, I know. The easiest way I've found to reduce image file sizes quickly is to open it up with paint, hit ctrl W, 70, tab, 70, enter, ctrl S to save. In paint just 70% of size will usually bring a 350 k file down to like 50 k in like 3 seconds and it stays a Jpeg and maintains the quality somehow, it's like magic :eek: .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom