Chasing rust in the tub, how do I remove sound deadening? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So the PO said there was a little rust under the driver's carpet. I finally got around to looking into it and found it's a little more than little, but seemingly manageable. I've pulled the driver's seat out and started pulling carpet back to investigate:
20160928_200647.jpg

There's a layer of adhesive-backed stuff that is really, really stuck on. I feel like, to eliminate this rust properly, i need to somehow unstick all that crap and make sure there's no rust creeping in underneath it. Question is, is there an easy way to get peel it off?

Is the best solution just to let the angle grinder eat it up?

Once the rust is addressed, what's a good product for replacing it (the sound deadening)?

Thanks!

The full extent of the cancer:
20160928_203833.jpg

Dry ice chips, mixed with isopropyl alcohol to make a slurry. Spread on, listen for the pops and cracks. When they stop hit it with a dead blow hammer and it will come off in sheets.
I just did this a month or so ago, I was skeptical at first but I had all of the old sound deadening up in about 2.5 hours with no sticky mess like using a heat gun and scraper.
the whole floor took about 4 10lb blocks of dry ice and 2 32oz bottles of Isopropyl alcohol.
-TP

If the place you get your dry ice from has the pellets, get them. Easier than the blocks.

I just did this a month or so ago, I was skeptical at first but I had all of the old sound deadening up in about 2.5 hours with no sticky mess like using a heat gun and scraper.
the whole floor took about 4 10lb blocks of dry ice and 2 32oz bottles of Isopropyl alcohol.
-TP

If you are not in a hurry, and can wait until winter -- or drive up to the mountains.... I left my rig outside on a cold night - 10 - 15 degrees and went out with a mallet and had it done in a few minutes.

Dry ice chips, mixed with isopropyl alcohol to make a slurry. Spread on, listen for the pops and cracks. When they stop hit it with a dead blow hammer and it will come off in sheets.

This will save you hours of headaches and frusteration

As far as replacement goes, roadkill is good, dynamat is good and I've also hear good things about lizard skin

This is how I did it when I converted a street car to a race car. Although I didn't use the alcohol, just the chips.

Here is the stuff I used, LINK
Two boxes covered all of the floor.
I think it works just as well as dynamat but is a lot cheaper.

Here is the stuff I used, LINK
Two boxes covered all of the floor.
I think it works just as well as dynamat but is a lot cheaper.

Even cheaper is Peel & Seal - which is a butyl and aluminum roof flashing product. Dynamat is just a low-odor version of the same style of product. P&S stinks, sure, but you just tape over the edges with aluminum tape. It's important not to think you can use just any self-stick roof flashing, because a lot of them are bituminous tar sheets that will harden and detach.

Remember to put some thought into how the rust got there in the first place. There should not be extended periods of standing water in the passenger compartment. I suspect mine is from a leaky sun roof, and I anticipate its on both sides.

Remember to put some thought into how the rust got there in the first place. There should not be extended periods of standing water in the passenger compartment. I suspect mine is from a leaky sun roof, and I anticipate its on both sides.
You are correct. Road salt or even fertilizer transfered to the carpet from your shoes turns that standing water Into acid. I like your John Adams Quote, few to men abide by that ethic. Goos Luck..! :)

isn't a leaky sunroof expected? more that the drains that need attention.

windshield gasket on my rig has been peeling back above the passenger footwell for some time now and i need to address it before winter . . .

I used the Noico 50 for sound deadening and the Noico 157 on top of that for heat insulation. I am please with the results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom