Charcoal Canister - Great Option! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can confirm the VC120 solved my problem of excess vacuum build-up. Went on a solid 2 hr drive and took the cap off when I got home to check. Zero issue now. I also did like someone else in the thread and removed the swivel hose from the bottom of the original, drilled a hole in the bottom of the VC120 and mounted it.

Just a FYI to anyone who has gone down the route of replacing lines, charcoal canister, fuel caps, etc.
I spent month trying to figure out my issue. None worked so I ended up throwing a power steering cooler in-between the return to the fuel tank (Low pressure) and mounted it in front of the radiator on the driver side. 2 years later, no issue or leaks. Be sure to use the correct rated lines. This is what I used.
Derale 13200 Power Steering Cooler Kit, Black
Can you elaborate on this? I'm just having a hard time visualizing what this is doing. Is the fuel running through this cooler? Do you have any pics? I'm at my wits end with this problem. The temps in Vegas just got up to high 90's for a couple days and I've already had an issue.

Just a FYI to anyone who has gone down the route of replacing lines, charcoal canister, fuel caps, etc.
I spent month trying to figure out my issue. None worked so I ended up throwing a power steering cooler in-between the return to the fuel tank (Low pressure) and mounted it in front of the radiator on the driver side. 2 years later, no issue or leaks. Be sure to use the correct rated lines. This is what I used.
Derale 13200 Power Steering Cooler Kit, Black
After reading your post I'd just like to throw out a comment. Placing that cooler with highly flammable fuel running through it out in front of your radiator may not be the best location, or a wise idea.

In the case of a front end collision, you stand a real good chance of starting a fire. Fires are the very reason why most car makers run the fuel system lines tucked up inside the frame to protect them.

That way in case of an accident they stand a much better chance of surviving a crash, along with a much lower chance of spilling any fuel. Thereby minimizing the chance of a fire.

If you want to keep running your fuel cooler, I'd remount it so it's protected somewhere inside the frame rails, not out in front of the radiator. Just my 2 cents YMMV.

Can confirm the VC120 solved my problem of excess vacuum build-up. Went on a solid 2 hr drive and took the cap off when I got home to check. Zero issue now. I also did like someone else in the thread and removed the swivel hose from the bottom of the original, drilled a hole in the bottom of the VC120 and mounted it.
Hey there. Is adding the swivel hose necessary or preferred? I just sourced a VC120 and ready to replace it. Any problem if I just connect the two upper lines?

Thanks

Hey there. Is adding the swivel hose necessary or preferred? I just sourced a VC120 and ready to replace it. Any problem if I just connect the two upper lines?
thats all i did. seems fine to me.

Anyone else able to order the VC120 recently from AutoZone? I get this message when trying to order online from AutoZone "We're sorry, item with sku id 239708 is no longer available for Ship to Home".

Anyone else able to order the VC120 recently from AutoZone? I get this message when trying to order online from AutoZone "We're sorry, item with sku id 239708 is no longer available for Ship to Home".
Same message here a month ago. Walked into the store to order one. Showed up the next day.

Been reading a lot about this VC120 in recent posts, but I’ve also seen the AC Delco part used with great success. Guessing parts availability/cost has something to do with it, but is there any pro/con to either one?

Same message here a month ago. Walked into the store to order one. Showed up the next day.
I ended up calling the local store and they were able to order one that should arrive this week. Not sure what the issue is with ordering them online.

To throw in my 2cents here ... I just removed my fuel tank because of a leak ... some years ago I had to replace my filler neck because it was also leaking where it had rusted at the bracket near the axle .. thats another story. However prior to the tank leak (and after the new filler neck) I was also getting high pressure release from the tank when I removed the cap. Of course once the tank started to leak (at the top) the pressure release issue disappeared :)

... anyway, now I have the tank off and can see that the leak is from a rust hole on the upper part of the tank ... it is not at the 'crease/fold' that many others report as the location of their leaks. The other observation was that when the vent line was disconnected from the tank ... there did not seem to be any obstruction in the line between the charcoal canister and the fuel tank ... I also disconnected all the lines on the charcoal canister and tested it IAW the shop manual. It tested ok. So I am now suspicious of the "Toyota 77380-26010 - VALVE ASSY, FUEL CUT OFF" which resides under a small fitting adjacent to the tank fuel pump outlet. This is the fitting that the breather hose from the tank to the charcoal canister is connected to ... in fact when I removed the 'fuel cut off' from the tank .... and attempted to blow into it .. it seems as though the air flow is being obstructed. I am now curious if this may be the culprit of the pressure problem folks have experienced? In any event ... I have ordered a new one. Along with the various straps and brackets etc I need to rehang the new tank....

PS .. I ordered my tank from Rock Auto (its arrived and it 'looks' ok) But I waited until the tank was of before ordering the straps etc from "Amayama" (thanks to those who identified this source) ... The Canadian dealer wanted $230.00 Cdn for one strap .... Amayama's price was $53.73 Cdn... of course there is also a Fedex charge. But it still represented a significant savings. And my local dealer would not/could not tell me when I would see the parts.. so we will see how keen Fedex is to earn their money.

Last edited:
How is this one vented?

How is this one vented?
On the top. VC117 is way too long, about 3-4 inches too long and as thick as VC120, it will hit the hood if you try to mount it in the brackets.

BUT... I didn't want to mess with ordering another canister so I took off both canister braces, stuck it in there, shoved it down, zip tied and it works just fine. I also got some fuel line from autozone and routed it to the OEM fitting for the wheel well.. Will mess with VC120 down the road.

20220206_174148.jpg

All -

After owning my 80 for over 2 years, experiencing higher than normal pressure when removing the gas cap the entire time, I tried many solutions. However, I've been reluctant to replace the charcoal canister due to the cost -- approx $300 (plus or minus), and it's a dealer-only item.

Many of us have posted/read info on this thread:
Excessive fuel tank pressure - https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/292965-excessive-fuel-tank-pressure.html

I tried a junk yard canister from a 1997 80 with absolutely no affect. I tested hoses, attempted to test pressures, made sure the VSV worked correctly, etc. As best I could tell the system was at least functioning.

After much research, I found this alternative canister for $36 !!!
If the link gets stale, it's Autozone part VC120 for early 1990s GM cars with the 3.1L V6 (pontiac, oldsmobile). The dimensions were close enough to ours, so I pulled the trigger on a hunch. And it works beautifully! I wanted to run thru several fill-ups before I posted, and I can say that after 6 fill-ups, my 80 finally operates like a normal car (as the gas pump anyway). No sound, no air escaping, etc.

It has the same style connectors and pulls in fresh air from the bottom just like the 80s. Using the highly calibrated "blow with your mouth" technique, I confirmed that this canister is almost identical to the stock 80s as described in the FSM. Minor details on mounting:

• There is no hose connection on the bottom like the 80s, so you can remove the hose completely. This replacement canister has it's own filter and cover on the bottom. In stock 80s, the hose simply routes down to the frame area. I assume to pull in fresher, cooler air.
  • The diameter is just a bit larger than the stock 80s, but you can see in the pic below that it fits in the stock bracket, in the stock location, using the stock hoses. You'll notice that I used a ziptie in place of the bolt on the bracket - a longer bolt would be better, but I didn't have one around. And it's a tight fit, so I don't think it's going anywhere
  • The "tank" port on the canister uses a larger diameter hose barb, but a little persuasion works.
Info/links:
How to test your canister from 1997 FSM
-I suspect that the purge check valve in my canister was sticking. You should have suction into the engine on the purge hose as described in the link above. This suction should be able to keep up with vapors generated in the tank as long as the canister flows freely.

lc_cnstr.jpg

I haven't tested this after driving up to high elevations yet, but based on my experience so far, I think it's going to do great. Hope this helps out the community as much as it's helped me.
Good info thanks

To throw in my 2cents here ... I just removed my fuel tank because of a leak ... some years ago I had to replace my filler neck because it was also leaking where it had rusted at the bracket near the axle .. thats another story. However prior to the tank leak (and after the new filler neck) I was also getting high pressure release from the tank when I removed the cap. Of course once the tank started to leak (at the top) the pressure release issue disappeared :)

... anyway, now I have the tank off and can see that the leak is from a rust hole on the upper part of the tank ... it is not at the 'crease/fold' that many others report as the location of their leaks. The other observation was that when the vent line was disconnected from the tank ... there did not seem to be any obstruction in the line between the charcoal canister and the fuel tank ... I also disconnected all the lines on the charcoal canister and tested it IAW the shop manual. It tested ok. So I am now suspicious of the "Toyota 77380-26010 - VALVE ASSY, FUEL CUT OFF" which resides under a small fitting adjacent to the tank fuel pump outlet. This is the fitting that the breather hose from the tank to the charcoal canister is connected to ... in fact when I removed the 'fuel cut off' from the tank .... and attempted to blow into it .. it seems as though the air flow is being obstructed. I am now curious if this may be the culprit of the pressure problem folks have experienced? In any event ... I have ordered a new one. Along with the various straps and brackets etc I need to rehang the new tank....

PS .. I ordered my tank from Rock Auto (its arrived and it 'looks' ok) But I waited until the tank was of before ordering the straps etc from "Amayama" (thanks to those who identified this source) ... The Canadian dealer wanted $230.00 Cdn for one strap .... Amayama's price was $53.73 Cdn... of course there is also a Fedex charge. But it still represented a significant savings. And my local dealer would not/could not tell me when I would see the parts.. so we will see how keen Fedex is to earn their money.

Did you replace your fuel cut off valve, part #77380-26010? What were the observed results?

I just replaced with vc120 on my 91 and it cured the excessive pressure build up in fuel tank, however my truck has the slightest “stumble” now. Like I had the cruise set at around 55 and I can feel it stumbling a little bit. I don’t know how else to describe it. Anyone else have any issue? I’m thinking I need to pay the big bucks for OEM just to rule it out if I can still get one? I did what a couple other guys did and drilled a hole and ran the lower hose also.

I just replaced with vc120 on my 91 and it cured the excessive pressure build up in fuel tank, however my truck has the slightest “stumble” now. Like I had the cruise set at around 55 and I can feel it stumbling a little bit. I don’t know how else to describe it. Anyone else have any issue? I’m thinking I need to pay the big bucks for OEM just to rule it out if I can still get one? I did what a couple other guys did and drilled a hole and ran the lower hose also.
The new canister doesn't need the lower hose, maybe drilling a hole into it is causing the issue? Maybe try plugging the hole and see if it helps. You sure you routed the top tubes to the correct connections?

As a VC-120 user for the last 11 years, I still regret that i didn't just rebuild the original canister but threw it away.

Seems you can just file down the edge at the top where it's rounded over and the top comes off. Dump the old charcoal, clean the valves, throw a new filter pad in the bottom, refill with new charcoal from the fish store, and epoxy or silicone the top back on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom