Gas Smell (Charcoal Canister) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.cardomain.com
Been smelling gas odor lately from under the hood while driving on trails. Did a little investigating and I think it's coming from around the Charcoal Canister. Read several threads on it but don't have an FSM. Can anybody enlighten me on testing the canister?

Thanks, KR​

I think I have most of this memorized as I've worked to address a tank pressure issue, but here is the real deal from the FSM:

to check for clogged filter or check valve:

• 1.05 psi air should blow into tank port and out the other ports with no resistance
  • holding drain port closed, 0.28 psi air should blow into purge port and out via the tank port
cleaning filter in canister:

• blow 43 psi air into tank port wile holding purge port closed
checking VCV operation (hose connects between purge port on canister and VCV)

• on COLD engine, disconnect purge hose and check for NO air suction at idle and 3000rpm
  • on HOT engine, disconnect purge hose and check for NO air suction at idle, but it SHOULD have suction at 3000rpm
Since our canisters cost $$$$, I ordered one of these that I'll be testing this week/month to collect good data for comparison. It took me a while to find a cheap alternative that works in the same fashion, basically the same size, with almost the same hose size, etc. Of course, mounting is not the same.

Good luck -

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom