Builds chap79's Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Slowly plucking away. Have both new pull pins mounted on the swing outs. Had to elongate one of the holes in the bumper so that it would catch correctly. Easy task for a double carbide burr.

A4F479E7-F6F5-434C-8D55-4A83AE05499D.jpeg

Now the LX is looking pretty bare since you can see up the back of her skirt.

3920C649-890A-47AF-B62C-54A1EF9B36AD.jpeg

A picture of how I had moved my exhaust when I installed my bumper years ago. Think about chopping the resonator off and just welding a pipe with a turn down.

09E98DFB-8431-4763-9182-1CED288B86FD.jpeg

And some glorious eats at the Smoke Brewing Company yesterday. Chicken fried bacon with country gravy dip and loaded bbq fries.
9C063320-764A-41DE-B74F-70FE9A0DCE4B.jpeg
8C8BBBD6-3E2C-498B-8B7B-F769B768022B.jpeg

Almost everyone that chops off the resonator regrets it later due to the added drone.

Almost everyone that chops off the resonator regrets it later due to the added drone.
Yep, been there done that. I would like it to sit a little further back to not have so much exhaust trapped under the rear of the truck when idling. It currently dumps about where the stock spare carrier mounted, so halfway back.

I can say that in its current location I’ve stopped smashing it on things :meh:.

Slow progress. Seems I have too many different projects going on.

Mounted the grille back on the LX. Fresh powder coat and 316 SS hardware.

F5D0885A-CBA7-4FF2-BE5C-58D4691F243F.jpeg

22798E6E-2CC9-49B6-A9AC-D96256F9C9AF.jpeg

Pulled my leaking power steering pump and rebuilt it. Pretty straightforward rebuild, I did find that old outer pinion bearing minus the cage made a perfect fit for pressing the bearing back in the pump.

69386590-F15A-4943-B105-38DA5D693632.jpeg

4FD3D53D-FF03-4C9A-8A15-D6489D87C3EF.jpeg

Yep, been there done that. I would like it to sit a little further back to not have so much exhaust trapped under the rear of the truck when idling. It currently dumps about where the stock spare carrier mounted, so halfway back.

I can say that in its current location I’ve stopped smashing it on things :meh:.
I hacked off my resonator a few years ago when the 4x4 labs bumper went on and never noticed a difference inside the cab. I have never read where someone who removed the resonator (there are many) wanted to put it back on.

Has not effected my exhaust at all personally, but I switched to a flowmaster muffler so maybe that effects things vs. a stock muffler...

Changing out the muffler is on my list of this to do. I’ve already have to have it patched a couple of times due to trail damage. I’m trying to wait until I sell my dual sport to fund the turbo kit. Seems I can’t give it away out here :meh:

Changing out the muffler is on my list of this to do. I’ve already have to have it patched a couple of times due to trail damage. I’m trying to wait until I sell my dual sport to fund the turbo kit. Seems I can’t give it away out here :meh:

I like the flowmasters for this reason, heavy steel wall compared to others out there......

wow that was a long read but some great info on this tread!

I am not going to make all the comments I want but I will say add me to the list of people that added the resonator back on after cutting off.

if you were board you can see my rig similar to yours but not with 37's :-( on Instagram @mainely_fjz80

Guess it’s been a while since I’ve updated the thread. Bumpers are back on the truck. New powder coat looks great, we’ll see how well it stands up. Too bad I haven’t taken any pictures of it. Been really busy with other priorities.

Also replaced the brake booster and mater cylinder. Then replaced the heater control valve, heater hoses, and bypassed the rear heater since I never use it. Still need to get under the truck and remove the old lines and figure out if I want to pull the unit from under the passenger seat.

D8FEFB5A-A780-4EC9-AA2F-61C03A5FD2AC.jpeg

B7BCD5E6-96FF-458F-BDCE-21806DB49ABA.jpeg

Replaced the rear output bearing on the transfer case today. Pretty easy going if you have the right assortment of tools and miscellaneous pieces of metal to aid in the install. Getting the bearing retaining ring out was the most difficult part. But a long flathead screwdriver and a right angle pick aided in its persuasion. An old bearing race made the new seal install a breeze. And a piece of metal tube made the bearing installation nice and easy. Now I’m back to the rear drivetrain of the truck being VIBRATION FREE!!!

Perhaps I should replace the front output bearing too 🤔

7EEF3FF8-DF15-42A5-8C9D-2B25DD05026D.jpeg

85852C61-954A-4054-9D20-DB8B5372CF54.jpeg

F41141FD-EED7-46EF-B499-B722EAD53D42.jpeg

FF91CFA4-C24A-4B44-BABE-E960BF9B14A2.jpeg

AC1B6A57-1F29-497E-BB80-CEEDAF110E69.jpeg

87519AAE-CF52-4260-8D0D-D1586A81B970.jpeg

DF74CBF9-827C-4EE3-8B5E-439ABE84D16A.jpeg

Slinky long travel 75mm springs are going in. Hoping it will lower my COG. I’ll give it a little while to settle before I take some measurements or give my initial review. Also have some long over due items to address this weekend that I’m waiting on to be delivered.

083DB7CD-19B9-4072-9CDB-FAEBF3ADCD86.jpeg

79FE2CB1-BD5E-499A-8AFB-5FAF869C1D78.jpeg

Wow, Slinky
Looks like you got a good powder coat job on that batch...
Mine sat at 23.5" in front settled in at 23.25"
I did the hockey puck front bump also... those Czechoslovakian pucks are illegal bye the way:rofl:

Got my slinky lift finished today, massive improvement so far in the ~20kms I have driven it.

Finally got on the wagon with the @LandCruiserPhil sway bar disconnects. Could have come in handy on the last trial I ran with @Cruiser Bauers There was a lot of washed out off camber switchbacks leading to some three wheelin’.

F34E6B77-2E23-4510-8A4F-BB9D50407E0E.jpeg

Now I’m going to need to extend my sway bar drop brackets some more. 2” extensions are not enough for the Slinky Long Travel.

Looks amazing... Like the sway bar parts

Not sure on junior80’s setup but so far it feels pretty solid on the road. Less body roll than I had with the 4+” lift I was running before. I can feel that caster is back on the higher side as the steering feels heavier again. Not so light and darty, I’m using LT plates for 4” lifts. I can’t speak for driveline vibes since I’m running a custom DC drive shaft in the front and have adjusted the rear lower control arm lengths.

I’ll have to wait and see how it handles when load going through an off camber switchback and rock crawling before I say I’m sold on them of not.

But so far, I feel they were worth the price. I just wish I knew if left is left for the springs or is left really right? Waiting for them to settle before really measuring.

Maybe I need to go jump it across some railroad tracks a couple of times :hmm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom