CCOT gas tank install? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Norcal, not on fire but it was darn close.
CCOT gas tank install?

I have the print out and my mechanic said he wanted a second opinion, just wire it up like the CCOT diagram? Im guessing take a finished photo and upload it?

This is part of a COMPLETE fuel system rebuild from tank to carb.

Any advice I should tell him or a strategy? End game is to pass smog it needs to be totally correct.

coolfj40_2106_7741165.jpg
coolfj40_2106_7741165.jpg
Gas tank Fuel line diagram.jpg

I would avoid using any of CCOT's rubber.

When I bought my 40 about 6-1/2 years ago the filler neck was trashed, the PO had reamed it out so he could use an old Jerry Can to fill it up on the trail. It made filling at a gas station bit of a chore because of the emissions hoses they use now in California forced me to spoon feed the tank. So I bought both the filler neck and the hose from CCOT about 5 years ago and installed them. The filler hose lasted about 18 months before it cracked and started leaking into the cab. I pulled my 40 year old one out of the scrape heap cleaned it up and slapped it on. I had only replaced it because there was some overspray on it. Then about a year ago the filler neck came apart on the inside, the spot welds holding the insert in place failed. Now it rotates inside and unless I physically turn it to where the small vent is up top, it will shut off the pump. So now I'm almost back to where I was when I bought the rig. :mad: Lesson learned, don't replace original just because it's ugly. CCOT's rubber is not up to the task.

The rest of the hoses you can get locally, just make sure they are fuel line grade. If you need to replace your filler hose, I've seen other postings of suitable replacement choices, search and ye shall find. Personally I would try to locate a used one in good shape, my 40 year old one is still performing like new.

As far as the CCOT diagram is concerned, it is correct so you are good there.

Good Luck!
:cheers:

FWIW - On the filler hose, I used a 2" ID Goodyear 45 degree, part number #59202.

img_0521-jpg.942240

Almost 18 months on, so far - so good.

Do you still have the vacuum check valve?? You can just barely see it in the picture from @GA Architect , behind the filler pipe. It is NOT a filter and a shrewd Smog Referee will check for it because it is part of the emission control system.

Great info on this thread. Thanks to the OP for the pictures, hope you got it worked out.

I agree with David, my first impressions of ccot rubber wasn't good. It doesnt look or feel like real rubber. I haven't installed it yet, but I think I will do what GA architect did. Thanks for the part #.

Much of my original rubber was still good once I cleaned all the overspray off of it Some of got sandblasted (apron gasket) and feels better than the aftermarket stuff I bought!

My advice to anyone doing a restoration. Dont throw ANYTHING away, ever!

Hi and thank you. I used hose from Orileys and I ahve the check valve still as my goal is 100% Federal emissions (unless any of your sisters from Oregon want to get hitched)

I did not replace the HUGE filler hose and im not at the truck to see its condition.
Something napa or Orileys might have?

Hi all,

Replacing the fuel tank on a pre-1979 40/45 Series is pretty straightforward.

If you replace any of the hoses, be sure your replacements are rated for exposure to gasoline. Coolant system hoses are not (ask me how I know!) :(

Regards,

Alan

Subscribed.

John

Excellent info!!! Gotta re-plumb my brothers '76

Please do not install this tank without flushing it COMPLETELY, and then sealing it(inside AND out.)

Anyone have any knowledge on the CCOT plastic tanks??? My brothers may have one, metal was on back order at the time.....:bang:

Anyone have any knowledge on the CCOT plastic tanks??? My brothers may have one, metal was on back order at the time.....:bang:

For using a steel fuel tank, the OEM units are still available: 77100-60043

FWIW - This is the route I took. :hillbilly:

The plastic tank is a bad idea.

dang did not flush tank did not seal it what ever that is.

Irrc I rinsed mine out just for good measure. Didn't seal it...for whatever reason why? Couple years later all is still good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom