Can't believe how good the original paint looks... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
danspassionforcars.blogspot.com
It's taken me a while, but finally gotten around to detailing the paint on our 97 LC that we bought this past August. Just too many other projects and too many aches and pains. But I just wanted to get it done, get the original paint protected properly and then move on. Got my step daughter to do some of the more repetitive work and finally began yesterday some of the final stages. Had no idea how it would look once we got through all the accumulated grime and age, but we started with a wash yesterday morning, then my step daughter has been doing the clay bar over the entire car, then I started today with my random orbit tool and a polishing pad, and meguiars ultimate polish pre-waxing glaze. I didn't want to go for anything more aggressive with such old paint. And wow, you can't wipe the smile off my face now that I see what we've got. Just unbelievable. Gonna throw a coat of Klasse AIO as a finishing touch on top for protectant and then move on to the underside with a wire wheel and fluid film. Having so much fun with this rig and it's standing still.

IMG_9031.jpg

IMG_9029.jpg

IMG_9027.jpg

Looks great! Would love to see your process with fluid film underneath.
I'll be winging it. Using feedback from this forum. But I'm sure it'll be good fun. Who doesn't enjoy using power tools? I'll be sure to take before and after photos.

IME (also) the original factory 045 single stage white paint cleans up nice.

That's correct, the 045 white left the factory without clear coat (single stage), so while the paint can get oxidized it buffs up well, and no clear coat peeling to worry about.

You guys with white rigs are killing me. I wish mine had come in white from the factory.

"Fwiw, my white 91 had clear coat"

That's interesting, maybe all years were not painted at the factory in the same way?? IDK

My 95, 96, and 97 models (all white, boring) all are single stage. One of them had some minor damage on one quarter panel before I bought the truck and that area got clear coat. Over the years the clear coat on that one quarter panel has discolored slightly and started to peel off at the edges The rest of the body paint is good, no clear coat, no peeling or cracking. FWIW

That's interesting, maybe all years were not painted at the factory in the same way?? IDK
I really don't know. Parts of the roof and the rear hatch were starting to peel off before I sold her. The white paint underneath was pretty dull. It was definitely clear coat. I bought the truck new in 1991 from a dealer so it was not a repaint. It also had really cool black pinstriping from the tops of the fenders across the tops of the door sheet metal to the rear quarters.

Yep cleans up really good

View attachment 2912069
I tried to recreate, but I like your angle better. Last night, finished the car by completing the roof and getting Klasse AIO on the entire car. I couldn't be happier. Just blown away at the condition of the paint.

IMG_9054.jpg

IMG_9056.jpg

IMG_9057.jpg

IMG_9059.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom