Builds - Summer time Black FJ40 re-baselining (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'd say all new bearings. If the needle or roller bearings fell out the races that held them in are shot.
Unlike the four speed, the three speed needle bearings are all like free-range chickens: no cages! :lol:

Unlike the four speed, the three speed needle bearings are all like free-range chickens: no cages! :lol:
Ya, I think that they just fell out when I was taking the counter gears out. stillt trying to figure out where the larger rollers go, looks like around the 2nd gear. it's a puzzle, I like puzzles.

The cruiser still drove through all gears, albeit with some noices (which I thought was throwout bearing) so I'm hoping to put it all back together and see if it still does, just smoother. The gears look ugly though.

There are enough people abandoning three speeds that if you’re dead set on having the experience of rebuilding one without buying anything from a vendor, I’d still recommend posting a want ad for a different core. Pitted gears will chew themselves up quickly.

There are enough people abandoning three speeds that if you’re dead set on having the experience of rebuilding one without buying anything from a vendor, I’d still recommend posting a want ad for a different core. Pitted gears will chew themselves up quickly.
Good point. I'll clean and see what needs to be replaced and place an ad.

If I have to get a new to me one, is a 4-speed a drop in replacement? Or does it require its own TC?

Plenty of information on that in the FAQ section.😊

Plenty of information on that in the FAQ section.😊
Dang, I wasn't ready for that can of worms in the FAQ on the J30 to 4-speed conversion. Lots of opinions flying around o what exactly it takes... I'll skip that thought for now until I figure out how solid the rebuild will be.

Tcase actually cleaned up nicely.

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 8.53.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 8.56.20 PM.png

I can't remember if the torn up ring Synchronizer was from 1st/R or 2nd/3rd. But the ordered new one will definitely help.
Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 3.09.23 PM.png

Last edited:
Knocked out the 5 new tie rod ends from 555. The L marked ones were on the passenger side and the R marked ones went to the Driver side. Go figure. Must be a stage right and stage left type of thing.

1634621277814.jpeg

Meanwhile, TC is just sitting there waiting for some tranny synch keys to come in.

1634621554495.jpeg

Last edited:
Debugging Fuel gauge caused me to clean things up. fingers crossed on getting it back together, those gauge wires are super fine and delicate. Took out one of the glass panels but stopped there as the rubber piece just was crumbling. I'm guessing these aren't available.

Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 2.35.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 2.36.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 2.35.31 PM.png

Debugging Fuel gauge caused me to clean things up. fingers crossed on getting it back together, those gauge wires are super fine and delicate. Took out one of the glass panels but stopped there as the rubber piece just was crumbling. I'm guessing these aren't available.

View attachment 2817080View attachment 2817085View attachment 2817082
There are 2 wires going to the fuel gauge; it is my understanding that one of which is 12v and the other is a ground. Do you know which one is which? It appears that the hot would be the yellow with green (closest to the ampmeter). I will be installing a new Dakota Digital instrument cluster this weekend and need to figure out the fuel gauge wiring. Thanks.

There are 2 wires going to the fuel gauge; it is my understanding that one of which is 12v and the other is a ground. Do you know which one is which? It appears that the hot would be the yellow with green (closest to the ampmeter). I will be installing a new Dakota Digital instrument cluster this weekend and need to figure out the fuel gauge wiring. Thanks.
There's more variance in this wiring then I thought. All depends upon year of your FJ40. But yes, the red on yellow wire (C on the diagram) goes to the sender gauge on the fuel tank. the other terminal at the sender on the fuel tank is just grounded.

The Fuel gauge is also powering the water temp gauge.

Debugging is a pain since the voltages are all over the place with the coils. I should get an oscilloscope.
Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 11.27.42 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 11.29.18 AM.png

There's more variance in this wiring then I thought. All depends upon year of your FJ40. But yes, the red on yellow wire (C on the diagram) goes to the sender gauge on the fuel tank. the other terminal at the sender on the fuel tank is just grounded.

The Fuel gauge is also powering the water temp gauge.

Debugging is a pain since the voltages are all over the place with the coils. I should get an oscilloscope.
View attachment 2817847View attachment 2817848
Very helpful. Good luck on your build which I'm following. Thank you.

thanks to @Tancruiser I have some good looking reverse, idler, intermediary gears now. You can see how that water damaged these things.

GetAttachmentThumbnail

It took me a while but I tried the same method of inserting the bearings as I did with the reverse idler gear. plenty of assembly goo

Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 11.17.58 AM.png

Worked well, until I realized that to install the 2nd gear I had to position the intermediate gears in the bottom of the case loose before I knock in the input driveshaft bearing in with the 2nd gear. Well that knocking knocked the bearings out of the inside of the intermediary gear. pain. There is a SST that you insert in the intermediary gear to keep them in place while you do this, but I had to try 3 times before it worked without the SST.

Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 11.21.16 AM.png

Since nothing seemed to work on the gauge cluster, I took it apart and cleaned all connections. Only pressure gauge started working so I started debugging. Finally got all connections right and found the adjusting screw on the fuel gauge which controls the duty cycle of the current going to other resistor coils which heat up the little bars that bend. Now all is good. 🙌🙌🙌🙌

1635316676159.jpeg

Sometimes I feel like my brain matches my workbench.

rebuild almost complete, I still can't believe how much damage was done by PO. Just need to close the top and back in it'll go.

Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 4.32.37 PM.png

I think I have enough needle paint for about 25 more builds.

80E13C25-C146-4DB5-8804-258317D7638F.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom