Builds Build: Steve's 82 Longbed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought this from the original owner last weekend. I have all receipts from the last 37 years. I knew of this truck 25 years ago (worked with the guy) and it has sat since 2012 un-driven, mostly stored indoors. Was repainted a different color years ago - started life as metallic gray. Now, it's an unknown blue/purple. Colorado truck the whole time.

165K miles, no PS or A/C, but SR-5 package. Has had a lot of work and PM over the years, but needs a bunch more PM. Gas tank is getting boiled out today, fuel sending unit is destroyed. Starts/runs well off a gas can. PO started to rehab it and the I bought it. 100% original throughout. Never offroaded that I can tell.

I will be asking the 'what do I do with this thing' question - as I have a '78 FJ40, '89 FJ62, and a few other Toyotas, and two other domestic pickups - so I don't *need* this as a pickup, but it looked like a fun project. I plan to re-repair the rust along the way. The cab appears rust free, and the bed is weak in the usual spots. The guy who painted it did no rustproofing, so it promptly re-rusted. I ordered all new spring bushings and plan to replace all fluids, go through the brakes and steering knuckles, etc.

I guess my question is 'do I go all out and sell it on BaT' or just make it a nice running truck with decent paint, and leave it at that? Should I seek out a correct solid axle PS box, or is it not too hard to install an IFS box and do crossover steering (just because IFS boxes are easier to find)?

Thanks - will post more pix soon.

Steve

Towed.jpg

Since the gas tank passed no fuel to the carb, I yanked it and it was seriously sludged inside. No real rust, but 1/4" deep layer of chunky goo, due to sitting since roughly 2012 and rarely driven since 2004. Since y'all like photos - first one is the pickup tube (before - tank looked like this inside) and then one of the outside and inside of the tank. The inside is now as clean as the outside after a lye boilout and hot-tanking at a local radiator shop. I have a new fuel sending unit on order from Thailand (via eBay).

Tech tip - don't park your trucks undriven for 15 years with a half-full gas tank!

DSCN4572.JPG

20191212_132810.jpg

20191212_132837.jpg

I think you should get it running/driving reliably and then call me. I’ll fly out and drive it home.

no need to bother with aesthetics. I’m not too picky.

Cool news - Toyota still has the fuel pickup screen in stock - 5 in Calif., so I ordered one. This is for non-EFI, carb'ed trucks and clips to the end of the 'dip tube' that goes to the bottom of the gas tank

Painted the gas tank with 2 coats of Rustoleum 'Hammered' this past weekend, and hit the windshield wiper arms with the same. Crummy weather and other car projects got in the way of doing more.

DSCN4590.jpg

DSCN4592.jpg

That Rustoleum hammered paint is great stuff. I use it all the time.

Most of $15, but a lot cleaner than the one pictured earlier. This is the fuel sock on the end of the pickup tube for the gas tank.

sock.jpg

Slacking on the followup postings. Bought an entire set of Energy Suspension leaf spring bushings and installed them yesterday. Lots of torching and pounding, but not worse than an FJ40. Also installed 4 new shocks. The 'dog bone' was in great shape and the Energy Suspension bushings looked like they couldn't fit, so I just reinstalled it.

DSCN4758.JPG

DSCN4760.JPG

DSCN4761.JPG

DSCN4681.JPG

DSCN4688.JPG

Also did a valve adjustment and checked compression. Pretty clean inside for being parked for many years. But, the PO did regular oil changes. At 7000' elevation, the compression was 136, 138, 130, 128 (dry).

Add 21% to each figure (for sea level) and you get: 165, 167, 157, 155.

In spite of the PO being charged for a 'major tuneup', the plug wires are dated '1982'!

DSCN4602.JPG

DSCN4603.JPG

Last edited:
<derailment>

The 3F-E excels at turning fuel into waste heat...

BTW, I love my 3FE, but then, it isn't a normal 3FE.

Displacement: 4276cc
Compression: ~9:1
HP: 124rwhp@3250
Torque: 233rw lb-ft@1950

IMGP3582-sm-crop.jpg

</derailment>

That's one hot looking 3F. You should show that off at a Cars and Coffee so that the unwashed can mumble 'never heard of a 3F-E - output sounds kinda low...' ;). Congrats on a sexy build.

Pic was taken right after install. It isn't as pretty now.

Floor pan repair fun. Not horrible, but needed patching - both sides. Welded, puttied, rust-treated. Will rustproof on the bottom side with axle grease after painting, and will spray grease around the body mount.

My approach was to cut a shape from 18ga metal, weld part of it in place, then beat with a hammer to get all the seams tight, and then weld those. Worked pretty well and plenty stout.

Driver's side:

DSCN4851.JPG

Passenger's side underway:

DSCN4843.JPG

Last edited:
Odd you post that - I just ordered these on Aus Ebay last night.

Capture.JPG

I'm pretty much Fred Flintstone both sides, body mounts gone.

I can see where you would need it all.

I couldn't find anything in the US, and had no idea anyone made anything like this anywhere else. Thanks for posting!

Looking at your rocker box post above - I got to thinking. From Wikipedia:

"Toyota swapped the dual-row timing chain used in older engines for a single-row chain with plastic guides in 1983."

So is that not the original engine? I've never had the valve cover off my 82.

Mine is a July '82 truck with the original engine. I don't always believe Wikipedia....

Well, their conversion kit won't be of much use to me:

This unique kit was designed by LC Engineering to replace the factory single row timing chain on the 22R & 22RE (85-95) engines with a double row timing chain.
NOTE: Will not work on 81-84 22r engines.

Nice recondition Steve! 👍👍.

What happened to the photos of the bare frame with the cross-member?

Thanks for posting your recondition. Keep up the good work and please post more when you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom