Builds Bucket List FJ40 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lucked into a 73 JF40 with the original F 155 3 speed. Runs and drives great.

1646844975209.png

The great NM desert preserved this. The frame is in great shape. The roll bar was built custom at some point which caused a removal of the jumper seats and the door was obviously cut and I have no top ... outside of that it's basically stock.

immediate plans are to pass TX inspection. The only known issues:
  1. fix license plate lamp
  2. fix horn
  3. the lap belt sometimes works and sometimes doesn't ... so need to work on that
Outside of that I'm getting new boots for the shifter and T-Case and I'll address anything from the inspection. Then I'll drive it around for bit before diving too much into the changes.

1646845329383.png

I look forward to reading and learning from others on this site. I have an '05 Tacoma so TW has been a great resource for me. I hope this is the same.

Cheers -- Dave

Lucked into a 73 JF40 with the original F 155 3 speed. Runs and drives great.

View attachment 2947264

The great NM desert preserved this. The frame is in great shape. The roll bar was built custom at some point which caused a removal of the jumper seats and the door was obviously cut and I have no top ... outside of that it's basically stock.

immediate plans are to pass TX inspection. The only known issues:
  1. fix license plate lamp
  2. fix horn
  3. the lap belt sometimes works and sometimes doesn't ... so need to work on that
Outside of that I'm getting new boots for the shifter and T-Case and I'll address anything from the inspection. Then I'll drive it around for bit before diving too much into the changes.

View attachment 2947265

I look forward to reading and learning from others on this site. I have an '05 Tacoma so TW has been a great resource for me. I hope this is the same.

Cheers -- Dave

Great find! Welcome to the madness.

That's a great FJ40.
I wish FJ40's looked like that around here. I can only find some that are complete rust buckets. (of course nothing wrong with that :))

Nice 40, color reminds me of a well worn pair of jeans.
Try this thread for the dash knobs so you can lose the tape. Courtesy of the FAQ link at top of the page.

Here is what it looks like mounted.
View attachment 2947642

yep I have the backup light. Doesn't light along with the running lights and linense plate light - hopefully a fuse that I'll dig into.

Welcome to the ‘73 club! Looks like a good candidate for a factory soft top and doors.
Yeah - I imagine the top will be off until November. I like the idea of the soft top / doors but from what I see that soft top has the frame and I'm not sure if that's easy to get on / off / store while the top is down? I may cut the doors similar to the shape of soft doors and go with that for a bit. I would love a good set of doors/top but from what I see that's $$$$$

yep I have the backup light. Doesn't light along with the running lights and linense plate light - hopefully a fuse that I'll dig into.

Only suppose to light while in reverse. The switch is on shift cane tower on the transmission top cover. problem could be in that area if it's not working. Because of the small opening for the transmission shifter in the tunnel cover cover hard to get at from above.

If you do end up going the factory soft top route keep in mind there are two styles of B pillar bows. That is the one behind the doors. OEM style imported to the US used soft doors like in the picture. Other style used hard doors. The B pillar bow has a angle with the hard doors style used in other markets. Works best with a match set.
IMG_20200912_134008721.jpg

The doors didn't tilt in until '75 right?

If you do end up going the factory soft top route keep in mind there are two styles of B pillar bows. That is the one behind the doors. OEM style imported to the US used soft doors like in the picture. Other style used hard doors. The B pillar bow has a angle with the hard doors style used in other markets. Works best with a match set.
View attachment 2947879

That is a good question. My guess it was 9/73. I see a part number change in the door and B pillar bow. My is 2/73 production date and believe those are the newest factory soft top parts I have. I do know some markets always had hard doors on soft top models. When the hard doors change to reflect the change in the hard top was in the mid sixties. Those finding information on is difficult since Toyota dropped everything pre 3/69 from the system a very long time ago.

Seems most people switching to OEM style top are running hard doors. Since I have OEM parts I really haven't followed what being made. Anyone buying aftermarket bows should be aware what they are getting. I personally like the soft doors because of how easy they are to remove. Personally do not think the soft top door hinges are robust enough to support hard doors long term is you actually use it off road.

Inspection failed. Immediate TODO:
  • new wiper blades (generic 11"?)
  • high beam indicator light not working -- more electrical madness? I wasn't even aware there was an indicator so assume I'll dive into the gauge cluster
  • brake lights don't work (they did yesterday -- fuse?)
  • horn stopped working as they were testing -- maybe this blew the fuse and from what I can tell the horn and brake lights share the same fuse.
1647024852275.png

I leave town for a week I'll order / grab parts and hopefully get this cleared next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom