Builds Bucket List FJ40 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

replaced the body mounts yesterday. The 2 inside rear mounts are tough to get in/out. The 90t small gear wrench socket saved me for this one.

The old on the bottom was one of the better looking mounts.
1671369677925.png

had to get creative with the sawzall to get this one out ...
1671369725618.png

The rear seat was custom mounted on a metal box of sorts - completely rusted out so I've removed that. I might build a few cubbies or mounts for some storage for parts & tools as I doubt I'll ever have more than 1 other riding along.
1671369783473.png

next on the list is to re-visit the wiring and continue figuring out a rear bumper / tire mount solution.

I had a good time wheeling yesterday. The tacoma is double locked, 35s, 488s, 63s and 14" travel in the rear so it is by far the most capable. But the 40 stole the show. Below are a few pics.

Up to this point I've just been learning how to keep it running and have made minor adjustments. I want this to keep up with the Tacoma so a few items hitting my 2023-2024 list include:
  • immediate
    • new gas tank -- I keep having to change the fuel filter and the day on the rocks released a lot more rust - that needs to go fro the sake of the truck
    • I sometimes get stuck in gear - rarely during daily drives but it happened several times out here. I need to research this one.
  • the never ending list
    • front and rear lockers
    • I need lower gears. I think I read on here the Orion may be a good option. I could also go with 488s or 529s but if I can get a big reduction with a dual case that may be right
I also gained a massive appreciation for power steering. Those steering racks do A LOT of work. I liked the workout and the focus the manual demands but I'm sure that will change over time.

I was driving the 40 all day while the kids drove the tacoma - unfortunately they don't take many pics.
1672157450258.png

1672157403474.png

1672157439800.png

1672157797472.png

1672157822452.png

I had a good time wheeling yesterday. The tacoma is double locked, 35s, 488s, 63s and 14" travel in the rear so it is by far the most capable. But the 40 stole the show. Below are a few pics.

Up to this point I've just been learning how to keep it running and have made minor adjustments. I want this to keep up with the Tacoma so a few items hitting my 2023-2024 list include:
  • immediate
    • new gas tank -- I keep having to change the fuel filter and the day on the rocks released a lot more rust - that needs to go fro the sake of the truck
    • I sometimes get stuck in gear - rarely during daily drives but it happened several times out here. I need to research this one.
  • the never ending list
    • front and rear lockers
    • I need lower gears. I think I read on here the Orion may be a good option. I could also go with 488s or 529s but if I can get a big reduction with a dual case that may be right
I also gained a massive appreciation for power steering. Those steering racks do A LOT of work. I liked the workout and the focus the manual demands but I'm sure that will change over time.

I was driving the 40 all day while the kids drove the tacoma - unfortunately they don't take many pics.
View attachment 3202597

View attachment 3202594

View attachment 3202596

View attachment 3202599

View attachment 3202600

The struggle with 40's steering is because the kingpin inclination is off on a Cruiser when you install much beyond a H78-15 (about 29x8). The problem goes for any setup, but, it is far worse on a solid front axle because the design has a big old birfield in the way of the lower ball joint and there is no camber changes with the flex of the suspension to keep you on an inner sidewall when the trail is pushing on the outboard side of one of the front tires contact pattern, so it causes the steering to turn. The issue is no one wants to run trails with those smallish treads - not enough clearance for the contemporary motorsport. Of course, the folks running trails with you will want to see the 40 do as much as the Tacoma, but personally, my stomach can't handle a whole lotta leaf sprung, off-camber truck.

Of course, the folks running trails with you will want to see the 40 do as much as the Tacoma, but personally, my stomach can't handle a whole lotta leaf sprung, off-camber truck.

yeah - for now the 40 is happy running the bypasses and getting 'nice truck' complements along the way. Agree on the off-camber. For both trucks I'd love to know how far you can tilt before going over.

I fit in one of two boats, original 40 or SOA. SOA rides flex so well, they make challenging trails fun, just not the section paved with highway. For actually getting dirty and some healthy sunburn, the Tacoma rules, anyday.

it's been a minute so adding an update for my record keeping. I finally dug into the accelerator / power issues. The accelerator cable wasn't tight enough. I took out and cleaned the carb, cleaned the accelerator bracket, replaced the cable. Clean carb. Good cable. RAN GREAT. I don't think my 2nd carb barrel was ever opening so you can imagine the increase in power. I still have the float bowl not leveled correctly so I'll fix that when I take the carb off again ...

... I think it ran too great. About 50 miles into driving over a few days it started losing vacuum and stalling as I'd come to a stop unless I kept the RPMs high. I cracked into it over the weekend - pushing air through the exhaust with soap all around ... and the manifold gasket is REALLY LEAKING to the left of the carb with another similar leak on the right side - 1st and 2nd pic below.

1682341538400.png

1682341629326.png

So ... I ordered an OEM gasket along wiht a remflex - due to arrive in a week or so. My HOPE is that I can get this replaced and have a properly running truck in the next couple weeks. This will be the first time I've taken the manifold off so hoping I can get in there and taken care of w/o issue.

Pumped how this turned out. I dare say the weight in the back smooths out the ride. The PO did add some strange flat piece that hangs below the bumper. I'll cut that off and have loads of clearance back there.

1691632847107.png

Radical.
Where abouts in Austin are you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom