Builds Broski's Adventure Rig build thread (17 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Although not part of my 80 build . I have all ways been a ford Guy but the Land Cruiser has impressed so much that I picked up this Tundra. I well be selling my F250 super duty, I am retired now and don't need that big truck now. The Tundra well be my daily driver. View attachment 2193474View attachment 2193480
One of the guys that pilots for me when I do Oversize loads has a couple of these. One has like 700k miles and still going.

Hey RB you doing this fender trimming yourself? Might need some help with mine when your done!
Ya, Joe doing the cutting myself. I well be showing the work in much more detail later in the thread. I'd be happy to help with yours should be easier second time around. I well make patterns of what I do.

IMG_1775_1556680194593.jpg
IMG_1729_1556680185572.jpg
IMG_1700.JPEG

Here's our fearless Cruise Moab posse doing our annual Top of the World Tuesday run

Thanks for posted these up Corey. I was looking for these pictures and could not find them. looking foreword to wheeling with you and the gang again this year. I should be there buy 4/12/ 2020
4/13 for us early afternoon ETA

Forgot to ask, what is the tread width of those 39s vs. 37s? Did you get a side by side pic. That day went so fast... so many things to do, couldn't get it all done in one day. I need another visit.

Forgot to ask, what is the tread width of those 39s vs. 37s? Did you get a side by side pic. That day went so fast... so many things to do, couldn't get it all done in one day. I need another visit.
Gary, The 39" Mud Hogs are slightly narrower at the tread 10 1/8" vs. the 37" Trxus 10 1/4 " at the tread I well get a side by side picture tomorrow

Next up on the build was trussing the front axle and adding knuckle braces
1580269428601.png

I made the truss my self out of a piece of .120 wall 2"x4" tubing. I welded it on very slowly starting by putting small welds no closer then 2" and jumping back and forth and side to side. I borrowed the big I beam the chromoly tube you see sticking each side of the axle and a gutted third from a friend. The hole set up is for welding a truss to a axle, The tube fits the inside axle housing and the gutted third, fits snug but moves freely. The idea is you weld a little rotate the tube and repeat. If the tube starts to bind you know your getting the axle to hot and its starting to warp. The set up seemed to work very well.
I also welded on the modified Mini truck knuckle braces, front ring guard and a piece of 1/4" plate to the bottom of the third housing that I custom cut and bent.

This is what it looks like all put back together.
1580271705736.png

I used the marlin Crawler 10 MM hex drive flush fill and drain plugs. And for a little added beef I used ARP knuckle bolt and flange hardware

This is what it looks like all put back together.View attachment 2195240
I used the marlin Crawler 10 MM hex drive flush fill and drain plugs. And for a little added beef I used ARP knuckle bolt and flange hardware
I need to truss my axle soon. Gotta find a way to secure it so there's no warping. Your's looks great!

I need to truss my axle soon. Gotta find a way to secure it so there's no warping. Your's looks great!
[/QUOTE
Thanks Adam
The Importance of a Truss is underestimated in my opinion. It's my belief that not only does the truss help keep the axle housing from getting Bent, it also help control flexing that can contribute to blown Ring and pinion. I can say for sure that after I trussed the axle housing that the third member hardware stop coming lose. I reused the Factory hardware for the third time when I put it back together. I wheeled it hard all last season and they never backed out or came lose like they did the year before.

Last edited:
In this picture you can see the 1/4 plate that i welded the the bottom of the axle housing. Here I was also doing short welds 1 to 11/2" at a time again going side

1580523232352.png

to side front to back and letting it cool in between. I also built up around the drain plug with welds.

Next up was the Hydro assist. I went with a kit from West Texas off road. In my opinion it more of a generic kit. It's up to you to figure out where to run the hose's.
With the stock steering set up it's not a easy Task. Also the size of the ram is some what of a debate. Some say a 10" ram, some say a 8" ram is the right size. after carefully measuring I came up with 9 5/8" of steering travel lock to lock. So if you run a 10" ram you need to shim to down or you well be putting pressure on you Knuckles at full lock. If you run a 8" ram you need to a just your tuning stops and you lose 11/16" of turning each direction.
The 8" ram is what W.T.O.R. tried to sell me. But I was not willing to give up that much turn radius and I did not want to deal with shimming a 10" ram.
After much persuasion I got them to sell me a 1.5x 9" ram. So I only lost 3/16" of turning each direction.
This does not seem like much, but I could definitely tell the difference in the turn radius.

So after getting all of that work out, doing a lot of research as to what other 80 owners had done I thought I had a handle on things. NOT
After I got things all welded in place it seemed to work well in low speed rock crawling and on the street.
Then I took it to Pismo Beach. And after some high speed dune bashing I put one of the fitting on the Ram through the Oil pan and Ruptured the hydraulic line.
The life blood was running out of my Motor and I was losing steering. Lucky I was with good friends, We were able to slow the oil loss with plastic bottle cap and a big sheet metal screw to get it out of the Dunes. Then a 40 minute ride back to my house to get my Truck and Trailer.

If you are going to run Hydro with the Tie rod in the stock location, Ram behind the axle it's best to remove the springs cycle the axle all the way up and down making sure there is extra room past the bump stops for hard hits at the Dunes, check then Dbl. check then weld :bang:
I also learned to carry caps or plugs to cap off the system in case of hose or ram failure.
1580529946772.png

Once a gain I though I had it all work out, Did Cruise Moab, A trip to the Rubicon. Then I headed up Tillamook Oregon for Cruising the woods. I was doing some Pre Event Wheeling when I pulled a hose off the fitting at the Ram. This time I was more prepared, I had caps to close off the system, some Slee swag from Cruise Moab ( A nice tarp to throw down in the mud ) I removed the ram and hose's and ran the Event with out the Hydro.

Last edited:
When I got home I had some longer hydraulic hose's made up, made a enclosure to keep the hose's in place and a way from the motor.
1580531328336.png

After much trial and error I believe I finally got it right.

Last edited:
I really like the Hydro, It's super nice to be able to turn in the big rocks with the lockers on. Here's a few more pictures of the ram and mounts.
1580531763521.png
1580531805513.png

Looking forward to a late summers meet.

I would also add that IMHO the Hydro takes a lot of pressure off the sector shaft & right side lower knuckle bolts . A nice added benefit if you are running Big tires. You can see how the hose's run over the steering box and down the inside.
1580567797292.png

Some pictures from Cruising the woods. We had a beautiful camp site.
1580568329013.png
1580568456089.png

The views from the top of the Ridge were also nice

1580568707760.png
1580568766441.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom