BP-51 for the 80 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've had mine since August and I can't believe the difference (Prior Radflo) . I have them set soft for daily driving, but just did some camping last weekend and adjusted them slightly for the increase in load and weight distribution.

September we did Colorado and had them set stiffer for RRT / Load and terrain.

Having the ability to vary the settings is a game changer for me as this is my daily + camping rig + overland rig and every situation has varying degrees of weight and requirements. There are some great non-adjustable shocks out there, but none of them can say they will be near perfect for every situation. The BP-51's give me that ability and that to me was worth the cost.

Best of luck,

J~

:cool:

Bump for any other real world 80 experience/input...

Inside joke. I self appointed first right of refusal on iLean's 100 and jokingly call it mine. He does have a full build thread
Kurt do they make a larger shock yet, for say 6-7 in lift? or jus up to 5" and if so, are they planning on it? because im fiannly set up springs, panhard superflex etc. but i really like the adjustability of these. my kings are good but id like great.

Kurt do they make a larger shock yet, for say 6-7 in lift? or jus up to 5" and if so, are they planning on it? because im fiannly set up springs, panhard superflex etc. but i really like the adjustability of these. my kings are good but id like great.

No and no firm plans. Keeping stock on the existing models has been tough, let along getting them built for existing applications (such as 100 Series) to compliment their existing lifts. A 5+" would be cool!

Reactions: RFB
Hey Kurt, @cruiseroutfit

Will the 80 series BP-51 REAR shocks physically fit on a 100 series? Have you physically checked on any customer's truck in your shop? If the shocks fit but the remote reservoir mount may require modification or slight relocation that might be doable. Are you able to help confirm for us that the actual shock can/will fit on a 100 rear pretty please with sugar on top? :cool:

Last edited:
They will fit with bushing mods. I've not tried fitting them in the shop but I can look into it.

Having trouble finding any real reviews of these on an 80.
I have an opportunity to go from stock to BP-51 and not sure if it's the right move as i believe its meant to be run in unison with 3" OME springs? Trying to dig up any more info i can/real experience reviews. \
I'm looking at the BP-51s with i'd assume OME springs are meant to run with it, dobinsons 2" variable rate or stock height replacement, or tough dog foam cell (heard good things there).
Building a DD, mostly fire road camping on weekends/ski rig with some light to medium wheeling in the future.
Would love anyones honest input based on their experiences! all the reviews for other BP-51 rigs (200s, gx's) have been great.

My BP-51s are paired with the run-of-the-mill OME 850J in front and the 863 (no J) in the rear, so I'm not the metric you're after, but... I have zero complaints other than the fact that I can't get out and use them enough. My 80 weighs right in at 6k# in DD trim, and I'd imagine 400+# when I'm ready to wheel/camp. I do feel that I need to upgrade the stock rear swaybar, but it is still a lot of fun to drive as-is.

My BP-51s are paired with the run-of-the-mill OME 850J in front and the 863 (no J) in the rear, so I'm not the metric you're after, but... I have zero complaints other than the fact that I can't get out and use them enough. My 80 weighs right in at 6k# in DD trim, and I'd imagine 400+# when I'm ready to wheel/camp. I do feel that I need to upgrade the stock rear swaybar, but it is still a lot of fun to drive as-is.
Dude. This is now exactly the setup I'm looking at. Decided that I should say screw it and go up to 315s here shortly and heard the 850J/863 give a nice level stance.
What supporting mods did you do with the setup? Caster plates/brake lines/sway drops or anything?
Thanks!

Dude. This is now exactly the setup I'm looking at. Decided that I should say screw it and go up to 315s here shortly and heard the 850J/863 give a nice level stance.
What supporting mods did you do with the setup? Caster plates/brake lines/sway drops or anything?
Thanks!
I do like the level stance, and I like the low-ish look on 37s. I have Slee caster plates, extended swaybar links (stock ones cut/sleeved) and longer OEM rubber brake lines. I also moved the front axle forward 1" by modding the frame mount of the radius arms.

This may or may not be painful; apologies.

So newish to me FZJ80 has what appears andnis rumored to be an OME 2.5” reg/ not heavy suspension package. The springs and shocks are pretty tired, and really the whole thing needs to be addressed and replaced.

There are some standard extensions in place for lift, but no caster correction ( but it must have had plates at some point bc the control arms are cut in that exact way, they are no longer present. No adjustable Panhards or control arms....

I want to end up with 4” of life and adjustable compression of shocks....

Without branding and company offerings outside of this BP-51 kit (which is in my top 3), what other components would I have to address/attain to achieve my goal?

Have ARB deluxe front bumper n winch, prob going to change that out. Do NOT have rear bumper yet, but it is a must

Sorrybthe question is so wide ranging, I came from an IFS giant Tacoma before this, and the basic differences betwixt that and the Straight axle have been a little trying on my sense of know which direction to go.

This may or may not be painful; apologies.

So newish to me FZJ80 has what appears andnis rumored to be an OME 2.5” reg/ not heavy suspension package. The springs and shocks are pretty tired, and really the whole thing needs to be addressed and replaced.

There are some standard extensions in place for lift, but no caster correction ( but it must have had plates at some point bc the control arms are cut in that exact way, they are no longer present. No adjustable Panhards or control arms....

I want to end up with 4” of life and adjustable compression of shocks....

Without branding and company offerings outside of this BP-51 kit (which is in my top 3), what other components would I have to address/attain to achieve my goal?

Have ARB deluxe front bumper n winch, prob going to change that out. Do NOT have rear bumper yet, but it is a must

Sorrybthe question is so wide ranging, I came from an IFS giant Tacoma before this, and the basic differences betwixt that and the Straight axle have been a little trying on my sense of know which direction to go.
You should probably start a new thread or search around because this thread is about the BP-51 shocks and not what is required to run a 4" lift on an 80.

Haha if you think the BP51's are going to be better than King's you are throwing good money after bad.

Haha if you think the BP51's are going to be better than King's you are throwing good money after bad.
That may be a broad generalization though. Not enough reviews to say that necessarily yet.

Yes Kings are known to be amazing shocks. The BP51s definitely have some potential though. From the few reviews/videos/etc i've been able to find they're supposed to be pretty damn good shocks.

Sure they might be pretty good, but you can't compare a 2" bypass with a 2.5" bypass. Not to mention King's have the track record and materials too back up what I said. And King will do whatever length you want and add compression and rebound.

That may be a broad generalization though. Not enough reviews to say that necessarily yet.

Yes Kings are known to be amazing shocks. The BP51s definitely have some potential though. From the few reviews/videos/etc i've been able to find they're supposed to be pretty damn good shocks.

Last edited:
Sure they might be pretty good, but you can't compare a 2" bypass with a 2.5" bypass. Not to mention King's have the track record and materials too back up what I said. Not to mention King will do whatever length you want and add compression and rebound.

Fair but i'm willing to bet those king's are also at quite a premium compared to the BP's. Not sure by how much but i'd say they're in two different performance brackets right off the bat, either being far superior to a monotube style shock.

I'm on the fence for trying the BP-51s myself but hesitant due to the newness/lack of feedback on them.

Not trying to pollute this thread with King vs BP51, I was simply saying if you already have King's they are about the best bolt on shock you can get. If someone doesn't like them, they simply need to spend the time tuning them to what they desire. I am sure the BP51's are very good and work well out of the box, but they are not on the same level. And yes I would think the BP51's are around $400-500ea and Kings w/adjusters are $600-800ea.

Fair but i'm willing to bet those king's are also at quite a premium compared to the BP's. Not sure by how much but i'd say they're in two different performance brackets right off the bat, either being far superior to a monotube style shock.

I'm on the fence for trying the BP-51s myself but hesitant due to the newness/lack of feedback on them.

Last edited:
I don't know, maybe the price has changed since I bought mine. I paid $750 for the fronts and $650 for the rears. Custom length and w/compression adjusters.

img_1481-jpg.1265097

short .. I would say more like 1K per corner .. ( and I might be short too )

I don't know, maybe the price has changed since I bought mine. I paid $750 for the fronts and $650 for the rears. Custom length and w/compression adjusters.

I would say that's a sweet deal you made right there ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom