bottom line for diesel conversion. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They are surprisingly ok on the road, but definitely not fast. Even slight uphill grades or headwind slow a BJ60 down. If there are mountain passes around expect to be churning along in third gear doing maybe 70kph. But they are economical to run and have a proven track record for longevity. I plan a turbo for my 3B soon but even as it is, it isn't that bad.

If you are realistic about your goals repowering an FJ60 with a cheap, low mileage, rusty BJ60 donor is the most likely swap to pay itself back quickly (around here anyways). It will not make the truck 'better' for driveability on the highway though IMHO. A good 2F still has more torque, runs smoother, but it costs twice as much in fuel to get where your going.

lets give this a bump for those of you who have done the conversion, specifically with a non toyota, those with cummins engines

"its very loud" proffits conversion page...

how loud is it??

can you feel vibrations in the seat while you are driving?? does it shake your teeth out on the trail at constant and low speeds??

when they say loud, do they mean loud compared to a regular 2f? or loud compared to a truck with straight pipes and a big block?

lets give this a bump for those of you who have done the conversion, specifically with a non toyota, those with cummins engines

"its very loud" proffits conversion page...

how loud is it??

can you feel vibrations in the seat while you are driving?? does it shake your teeth out on the trail at constant and low speeds??

when they say loud, do they mean loud compared to a regular 2f? or loud compared to a truck with straight pipes and a big block?

I'm doing the Cummins swap... with an Allison 1000, however its not going into a cruizer. They aren't quiet engines...

those cummins are very loud.
have a 93 dodge at the shop with one in it(think it's the 24 v version).
plenty of power, but it sounds like its going to come apart at anything over city driving speeds..it just sounds like its reving to moon. highway driving is draining with it, it just wears you out.
no way would i want one of those in a cruiser.

my question is, how do the 2hs drive?

I would consider my cummins as loud. However I have heard piped v8s and ricer fart cans over my engine while driving so it's not the loudest thing on the road. My experience DD my rig is that I hear the tires and wind noise on the freeway more than the engine and I don't run carpet. It just seems to purr. I still have holes in the firewall to patch up that have not been a priority that leak sound along with the tcase shifter boot. The tune on the engine will affect noise as well as the kind of fuel burned.

As for vibs it really depends on how you set it up meaning what kind of motor mounts you use, the design of mounting you choose, idle rpm. Mine does not rattle my teeth out but my mirrors will vibrate when I'm at a stop sign. That's due to me running an auto with a lower stall t.converter. When I shift the tranny into neutral the mirrors stay still so if you're running a manual where you decouple the engine from the driveline (clutch) it will be smoother than mine.

For me the ONLY annoyance on the trail is that the spotter has to talk up and/or get the hand signals right. The low end torque is fantastic for crawling around and the diesel economy on the trails is great. If I need more tire speed I just grab another gear and let the torque spin the tires. I've found that diesels are great for offroading.

I'll agree with boots4. It is loud. at idle. it does shake, at idle. Other than that, it's really not that loud/shakey. There is waaaay more wind and tire noise on my cruiser than motor/exhaust. Really, no HONESTLY, it's not that much louder than some 4" lifted 35" mudder shod 80 series that I've ridden in. Does make communication with your spotter difficult tho...

Basically, boots4 hit it right on the head.

If you're looking for a 4bta powered 80 series, I'll be selling mine soon! Hard $$ times and daily family wagon need force the sale...

Dredging up this old thread; does anyone have any recent "real costs" to add? (not "my brothers cousin said he paid $2,000,000) to have this done"). Also, now that Proffits is OOB who's the recommended go-to for a conversion (non-DIY)?

DIY costs about $10k, depending on a ton of variables and being a little generous. Add 50%-100% labor on top of that to have a shop do it.

The real question is WHY???
If you're really interested in power in a diesel try the Brunswick crates.
The only way to really find out costs is to ask a shop, DIY is a huge job and will definitely be north of $10k so in other words get the factory 1HDT in an 80.
Last I spoke with a bloke who did a Brunswick in his 80 it was $14k for the shop to install the poverty pack.

...via IH8MUD app

For the cost of a shop to install it, you could buy a very nice HJ61 and still have a lot of $$$ left over. That's what I'd do atleast.

...via IH8MUD app

Mine is loud, doesn't really vibrate at idle. Puffs out tons of black smoke at acceleration. I got a remanned 4btaa engine, doesn't really vibrate that much compared to what others describe. On the highway I definitely hear the tires and wind noise over my engine, so I crank up the stereo. I love mine, wouldn't change anything, people keep asking me about it. I wanted to go with a toyota diesel, having driven them in the Middle East, but they are cost prohibitive and parts will probably break the bank considering you have to ship them from overseas.
I have had a few minor issues, replaced old gaskets, leaky AC and broken fuel lines, but in the end there's nothing I'd rather drive. Expect at least around 10k depending what kind of conversion you want to do and what you decided to outsource.

For the cost of a shop to install it, you could buy a very nice HJ61 and still have a lot of $$$ left over. That's what I'd do atleast.

...via IH8MUD app

Indeed, diesel 60's aren't that rare...just hard to find without a ton of rust. You should be able to find a good one for the price of a swap.

...via IH8MUD app

But you also have to look at RHD vs LHD, 24 volt system vs 12 volt system, Licensing, etc. I am thinking for the added cost of having a shop do the work, but be able to have a 12 volt LHD vehicle that is already licensed in the states it's going to be worth it to me.

Cummins is the way to go. The 12v 6BT's are preferable to the 24v as they are quieter. Less rattle. The 4BT is the loudest but tuned and balanced you can do a lot with it.

Of course having a shop do it for you will cost more....:eek:. I'd expect $20-25k all said and done. Lots of variables though, really depends on what paths you take.

We talk about this in the FAQ section of our website. www.duiser.com :cheers:

I am half way through my 12HT swap. The engine was 8,000 imported direct from Japan with 100,000km on it.
12HT's are VERY rare compared to 2H's and 1HZ's.

I think its going to be worth it. Luckily many of the parts from my 2F were trans-plantable to the 12HT and not a ton of modification is required.

Feel free to follow my progress and thread (linked bellow in signature)
Or look up my dedicated thread "12HT + FJ60"

I got loads of great help from guys here on MUD. I never would have done it without the guys on here and Im only 17!

I am half way through my 12HT swap. The engine was 8,000 imported direct from Japan with 100,000km on it.
12HT's are VERY rare compared to 2H's and 1HZ's.

I think its going to be worth it. Luckily many of the parts from my 2F were trans-plantable to the 12HT and not a ton of modification is required.

Feel free to follow my progress and thread (linked bellow in signature)
Or look up my dedicated thread "12HT + FJ60"

I got loads of great help from guys here on MUD. I never would have done it without the guys on here and Im only 17!
I wish I had 8000 at 17. Will definitely be following your thread closer

I wish I had 8 thousand at 36!

Cummins is the way to go. The 12v 6BT's are preferable to the 24v as they are quieter. Less rattle. The 4BT is the loudest but tuned and balanced you can do a lot with it.

Of course having a shop do it for you will cost more....:eek:. I'd expect $20-25k all said and done. Lots of variables though, really depends on what paths you take.

We talk about this in the FAQ section of our website. www.duiser.com :cheers:

Hey Dustin,

WHere's the ~$5,400 you owe me for the kit you have NOT supplied??????
How come you don't answer your phone or return e/mails?????

Doug Webber
esddi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom