bottom line for diesel conversion. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Overlord said:
Maintenance costs might not be lower. You have the added expenses of fuel filters, injector rebuilds, and maybe even injector pump rebuilds. Also, diesels usually have a larger oil sump than gassers, so you'll need to add the extra cost of oil changes. Although the 2F takes about 7 quarts. Just something to think about.

Maintenance costs on a diesel are definatley lower than a gasser. Filters need replacing on all engines, Injectors are good for up to 250 000 km and up sometimes, my injector pump is 20 years old and still pumping "knock on wood", and oil is cheap still.

A diesel lasts at least twice as long as a gasser and it is completely resleevable.Not to mention the components are stronger and just last longer.

Instead of burning a dry fuel like gas , Its fuel has great lubrication properties so less wear. You can turbo it ,intercool it, blow it , supercharge it, and it will take the load.

And then there is the torque. Ohh the torque.

Face it gas sucks :beer: :beer:

The conversion site is mine and I can definetely say my own words are true. You really get nickeled and dimed to death and it takes a lot longer and costs a lot more than you guess very much so.

great thread deserving of a bump to top!

weight of diesel?

With the bigger Toyo or the Cummings is there a weight gain/loss? will the "lift" change one way or the other?

HD

Hello guys!

I did a diesel conversion my selfe, from 2H to 12H-T. Best stuff you can get for a 60. Now, I know that the 12H-T is hard to come by and even more so in the states. However, the 2H is possible to get a hold on. From experience I can say that this engine combined with :

http://www.turbonetics.com.au/ATS_4wd_2h.htm

gives you what the charts say: even better than the 12H-T.

If you want to do it completely right you do one of these first

http://www.motorpowerinc.com/pricing/2h.html

Of cource you dont have to. The turbo system have been installed on engines that has more than 300.000 miles on it with no problem and keeps running. These engines are very strong. The same block/crank was used by Volvo Penta as boat engine with 450 Hp output. A Volvo Penta is practically immortal.

Adding an intercooler and adjusting the fuel input (easy & free) gives you an 5-10% on top of that. Can probably be done for less than 400 dollars.

This engine fits right on the 4 or 5 speed that used to be powered by the FJ engines and the rpm sensors are the same.

So my advice is to get going to Canada and get the most rusted out HJ60 you can get for as little money as possible. Everything you need is on this car. Manuals are available for the diesel on birfield.com.

Any questions : PM me.

DB :)

Just be careful on the engine rebuild kit parts. Find out where the pistons are from and who they are made by.
I put a generic piston next to a OEM piston. There was no comparison. The generic was made in Tiawan. The H engine my brother rebuilt with a generic kit had to be rebuilt because a piston broke after 3 months.

Well, it was really weird to see her go, it's her first time on a trailer! She's already in CO and should be at Proffitt's on Monday. Next time I see here she'll be a very different truck!

What are you having done?????

TB

I am betting 14BT since Henry has been speaking of diesel conversions.

Ooooor maybe one of Proffits four linky suspensions?

Commmon Henry spill the beanz.

Keep us updated on the progress of your rig.

Intercooled Cummins 4BT to H55F to Marlin Toybox to split case. Longfields, chromoly inners, ARB in the front, 370 gears, RDB conversion, hydroboost, hydro-assist, long range fuel tank.

By the time I'm done, I'll have changed, modified or rebuilt the entire drivetrain, both bumpers, part of the suspension, a significant portion of the interior, and a good chunk of the body work as well. New wheels and tires, too, some additional safety equipment (got a kid now). Been saving up for 3+ years, and I continue my quest for a unique Land Cruiser that servers as a long-range expedition rig, mild rock-crawler/wheeler and comfortable daily driver.

Exiled

I feel your joy. I also feel the pain of the pump. Stopped to fill up the Expedition today - at $2.66 a gallon. The Diesel suddenly seems a lot closer in the future. I'm thinking I'll get a Toyota H series - turbo'd, and rebuild it to spec, then do the swap - maybe in the next year. i am hoping for 20 MPG with a turbodiesel and 5 speed with OD. I think that I need the Diesel more than e-lockers, 33's, and 4.10 diff gearing.

Meanwhile, I think I'll buy a Mercedes Benz Diesel for a DD, and save the Expedition for towing a boat.

M

I considered a Toyota engine (12HT, 1HZ with aftermarket turbo or 1HD-T) for a *long* time and came close to taking the plunge, but two things kept me away. The first, initial cost. Since I'm not doing the conversion myself, the demand for these engines is steady, and the supply relatively low, my initial cost would have been high. The second stems from experience. My FJ62 is non-US. For the better part of a decade during which I've daily driven the truck most of the time, I've had to deal with non-US parts availability and cost. It got old quick, and I don't want to do it anymore, especially since I'm building the beast for long range expeditions and lots of distance driving. I can't have the truck sidelined because the "flux capacitor thingamajig" blew up, the parts is Category F and needs to either be sourced through Specter ($$$) or comes from Japan on the slow boat. Either way, I'll pass.

I'm really excited about this project, I daily drive a Jetta TDI now and look forward to expanding the diesel fleet! :)

Exiled said:
Intercooled Cummins 4BT to H55F to Marlin Toybox to split case. Longfields, chromoly inners, ARB in the front, 370 gears, RDB conversion, hydroboost, hydro-assist, long range fuel tank.

By the time I'm done, I'll have changed, modified or rebuilt the entire drivetrain, both bumpers, part of the suspension, a significant portion of the interior, and a good chunk of the body work as well. New wheels and tires, too, some additional safety equipment (got a kid now). Been saving up for 3+ years, and I continue my quest for a unique Land Cruiser that servers as a long-range expedition rig, mild rock-crawler/wheeler and comfortable daily driver.

you'll have to blueprint the fawker, because that is exactly what i want too...
esp the diesel and h55f!

Exiled said:
I considered a Toyota engine (12HT, 1HZ with aftermarket turbo or 1HD-T) for a *long* time and came close to taking the plunge, but two things kept me away. The first, initial cost. Since I'm not doing the conversion myself, the demand for these engines is steady, and the supply relatively low, my initial cost would have been high. The second stems from experience. My FJ62 is non-US. For the better part of a decade during which I've daily driven the truck most of the time, I've had to deal with non-US parts availability and cost. It got old quick, and I don't want to do it anymore, especially since I'm building the beast for long range expeditions and lots of distance driving. I can't have the truck sidelined because the "flux capacitor thingamajig" blew up, the parts is Category F and needs to either be sourced through Specter ($$$) or comes from Japan on the slow boat. Either way, I'll pass.

I'm really excited about this project, I daily drive a Jetta TDI now and look forward to expanding the diesel fleet! :)

Is that Toy box for the H55 ready?????

TB

Anybody else see the big item at the bottom of SOR's closeout page?

Used 1HZ Engine with 5spd transmisison & transfe rcase -20,000 KM - extremely rare motor - only 1 available -Must be shipped by truck + crate-Availability subject to stock on hand-No return on Used Parts-NO RETURN on Clearance Items..All Sales Final- Club Members save an additional 10% off the shown price - $9350.00

And what is the price of diesel outside the Front Range Colorado area? Here it's about the same as Super Premium. In 1-2 yrs when the new (european) standard takes effect, don't be surprised that the only advantage is a longer cruising range. Price will reflect a premium for removing the sulphur. Anyone remember the price change from leaded to non-leaded?

HZJ60 Guy said:
Is that Toy box for the H55 ready?????

TB

I am guessing he meant to say NV4500 and not H55?

H55F. Should be ready by the time it's time to put the drivetrain back into my truck. I can wait a couple of months if I need to, I only want to do this once (I'm replacing both driveshafts with heavier-duty ones, might as well get them in the right length).

Exiled said:
H55F. Should be ready by the time it's time to put the drivetrain back into my truck. I can wait a couple of months if I need to, I only want to do this once (I'm replacing both driveshafts with heavier-duty ones, might as well get them in the right length).

Yer kiddin?

Not a word about it, must be top secret.

Sounds like a really coool build Henry, look forward to some pics. Now how do we get Proffits Cruisers to post over on this board?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom