bottom line for diesel conversion. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ThatNickGuy

SILVER Star
Threads
Gentlemen,

I have but one pointed question regarding a toyota diesel conversion - and I know that there are hundreds of posts here them if I do a search. None of the posts seem to clearly address one thing (unless I missed a few in my bleary eyed searching).....

What is a good BALL PARK bottom line cost for a conversion to any of the scarcely available Toyota Diesel engines?

Fuel economy and diesel practicality are very big in my book and I'm looking to present the pros and cons to the boss (wife) soon as I have a 2f that seems to be on its last legs. Any additional advice is of course very welcome!

Thanks for tolerating me on this one!

Nick

Oh yeah.....

I for got to mention that I drive an 85 FJ60

If you swap to a Toyota Diesel, and have a mechanic do the work, it will cost about 3X the cost of a 2F rebuild - including the engine. Engines vary a lot - from a non-turbo B 4 cylinder to a turbo'ed 6 cylinder $1.5 - $2.5K up to $7K to 8K for a 1HD-T.

Do your research carefully. I am still looking at this, and am budgeting about $10K total, if I do it.

M

M

A lot depends on the motor you find. When all was said and done I paid $7000 to swap the 2F for a 13BT/H55F/t-case combo. My friend and I did all the work and used all of our (his) own equipment. We might have been able to save a couple hundred dollars on piddly things, but the motor/tranny combo was $6500 USD, plus another couple hundred for a 12V alternator and starter. I'm not sure how much better of a deal you can get on the motor, but considering how much SOR charges for JDM engines I feel pretty good about the price I paid.

As for fuel economy I'm getting around 20mpg mixed highway/city driving and maybe 24-25 on the highway. Stickboy reports slightlly better mileage with his 13BT. The big benefits, in my mind, are:

1. Simplifying the drivetrain. The diesels are really pretty simple compared to the 2F, and if taken care of will last much longer.

2. Ability to run biodiesel. Clean burning and higher lubricity. If you brew your own or with a group of other diesel folks you can get your fuel costs under a dollar a gallon. No more bending over at the pump. AND when we finally do switch to alternative fuels you won't be stuck with a useless gas guzzler.

3. Fuel economy--even 20mpg is more than 50% better than the best a stock 2F gets. Anything above that is gravy.

4. Performance. Even the little 13BT SMOKES the 2F I had. It pulls far better on long hills and accelerates when you ask it to. It'll actually pull harder than I've tried so far, but at the cost of fuel economy. I'm sure the 12HT and turbo'd 1HZ's are that much more powerful.

IMOP it's a lot of work and a lot of money but still worth every penny. I plan to drive mine for a long, long time. As an added incentive some states offer alternative fuel tax credits or deductions for this kind of upgrade--at least Oregon does.

browndog said:
4. Performance. Even the little 13BT SMOKES the 2F I had. It pulls far better on long hills and accelerates when you ask it to. It'll actually pull harder than I've tried so far, but at the cost of fuel economy. I'm sure the 12HT and turbo'd 1HZ's are that much more powerful.

Don't forget off highway driveability too. :D

My truck was an HJ60 to begin with. I sold my 2H and bought a 1HZ/H55/Tcase for around 5,000. That was back when the exchange was great. I'd say you're looking at 10,000 grand US for the engine and install if you cant do it yourself.

That is on the LOW end depending on which motor you get.

I dont look at it as a fuel savings thing. Im a diesel freak. IMO they are better drive trains all the way around.

TB

I've been thinking about a diesel conversion ever since joining the site just a few days ago. Read the thread BrownDog started and have been reading this mentioned site regarding costs and other: http://www.collegeinternetsolutions.com/cisautoweb/dtlc/cumminscosts.html
Good read. I'm convinced. I was originally leaning towards a Vortec, but the 1HZ or 1HD just sound like too much fun. Might be a while though. My mom's old 1980 mercedes diesel was still kicking and going strong w/ 240,000miles when she sold it to a teen friend of the family three yrs ago. My mom told her the thing drank oil like crazy. Did our friend listen? No. It burned up over the Cooper River after four months. Oh well.

If you do convert make sure you go for a turbo, I have both a 2h and 12ht diesel, the 2h being the none turbo with a 5 speed. My 12ht turbo with an automatic has gobs of power, even with a slushy automatic, the poor none turbo 2h is just under powered at higher speed travel. however any diesle is better then the 2f. Good luck ,
oh yaa the 12ht is a quieter motor too!

Beaver88 said:
take a look at the following site. I was quoted between $5500 and $7000 for a complete conversion to a cummins Turbo Diesel.

http://www.proffittscruisers.com/

That's darn cheap. Especially considering somebody else is doing the work. I want more details about that Mr.. What kind of Cummins? What tranny? Etc etc etc.

TB

I just got off the phone with proffitts cruisers about 2 minutes ago. I was quoted at $11000 (yes that's three zeros!) For a complete conversion to a cummins 4BT with NV4500 tranny. Not including transport to and from delta colorado at $1.20 per mile. I'd get shot in the face for even bringing that up at my house!

No way man..... not this humbly paid cruiser owner!!!

Nick

Why dont you do the work yourself? buy a cheaper engine like a 6.2 liter diesel from a chevy and get a turbo for it, than go with a marks adaptor and I think you could get the whole thing done for 4500 if you make a turbo you find in the Junk yard work.

So $11,000 plus whatever you can find a clean FJ60 with a crappy engine. For $20K you can have a *killer* truck!

My Land Cruiser is being converted to diesel (Cummins 4BT) by Proffitts Cruisers. I did a *lot* of homework on this (trust me, I don't let any bozo work on my Cruiser, been burned too many times), and after talking to a bunch of people and checking out a lot of Proffitt's work, I decided to take the plunge.

It's all in how you see it. My Land Cruiser has been paid for for 13 years. I'm putting in a diesel for long range expeditions and reasonably priced daily driving. Mine has a dead 3F, and rebuilding it wasn't worth it to me, not with the mileage I'm getting. Diesel was an easy decision; I wanted a Toyota turbo diesel, but the price was way outside of my price range and after spending the better part of a decade chasing parts for a non-US Cruiser, I'm looking forward to easier and cheaper parts availability.

Doing it myself is not an option for me, I don't have the tools, workspace, wrenching ability, or more importantly, the time needed for such a project. Jeremiah Proffitt is giving me a turnkey solution, and I think the price, considering the amount of hours and the level of work he's known for, is more than reasonable.

Heck, you just wait, Project Artichoke is is full-swing, I've been accumulating parts/components for three years, and now it's finally time!

I have been falling these diesel conversion posts pretty closely and I'm in the same boat as Exiled. I'll pull my 60 with my teeth to Colorado if I have too. $11k doesn't sound that bad for diesel and 5spd. 11K on top of the $2500 purchase price doesn't sound too bad. 2 questions...

1) Is that a brand new 4BT???
2) The clincher.... is this CA smog legal????

Interesting what the numbers tell me - in the following scenario - a Diesel will pay you back over the long run...

Assume that you get 14 MPG with your 2F or 3F - over 200000 miles of driving you will burn 14,286 gallons of fuel. At $2.10/gallon, that's $30,000

Now assume that you get 21 MPG with your Diesel and 5 speed - over 200000 miles you will burn 9524 gallons. At $2.10/gallon, that's $20,000.

If you MPG delta is higher, or if gas prices continue to go up (almost a certainty), you will save more. If you drive more than 200K miles your engine will be paid for out of fuel savings. Assume also that maintenace will be less on the Diesel... more savings.

Just a thot.

M

i keep thinking about long range plans for my 60. at 210k, its still running like a top, albeit at 10 MPG
i am seriously thinking about a diesel conversion. i might try the local Vo-Tech school. maybe they can do the labor for "learning" experience. i buy the parts.
hammer

Mike S said:
Interesting what the numbers tell me - in the following scenario - a Diesel will pay you back over the long run...

Assume that you get 14 MPG with your 2F or 3F - over 200000 miles of driving you will burn 14,286 gallons of fuel. At $2.10/gallon, that's $30,000

Now assume that you get 21 MPG with your Diesel and 5 speed - over 200000 miles you will burn 9524 gallons. At $2.10/gallon, that's $20,000.

If you MPG delta is higher, or if gas prices continue to go up (almost a certainty), you will save more. If you drive more than 200K miles your engine will be paid for out of fuel savings. Assume also that maintenace will be less on the Diesel... more savings.

Just a thot.

M

Maintenance costs might not be lower. You have the added expenses of fuel filters, injector rebuilds, and maybe even injector pump rebuilds. Also, diesels usually have a larger oil sump than gassers, so you'll need to add the extra cost of oil changes. Although the 2F takes about 7 quarts. Just something to think about.

I would think that if you got yourself a JDM 60 series with the drivetrain you wanted and tranplanted that into your truck, along with whatever other goodies you want from the import, then part out the rest, you would be dollars ahead. Wayne over in international would probably sort you out. Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom