BJ 41 Driveshaft modification after 4" lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I have a question with regard to the potential driveshaft modification after a 4" lift on a BJ 41.

Is it required to modify the front and/or rear driveshaft(s) after installation of a 4" lift (without front shackle reversal) and installation of longer front and rear shackles? If yes is there a value of the available driveshaft compression while the unit is sitting on level ground.

The reason behind my question is that on my unit both driveshafts have previously been modified in consequence of a gearbox/input-shaft and bellhousing modification (the gearbox was moved 2 to the front).

I have everything back to stock and have installed a 4" lift kit. Now I am wondering on the required or mandatory compression I should allow in both driveshaft.

Thank you for your help.

Bernie

Hello Sir,

thank you for the interest.

I have attached pictures of the front and rear driveshaft, with the unit with the wheels on level ground, plus the measurements of the splines and shaft ends uninstalled.

My current theory is that the spline should be completely in the other end of the slip yoke so that I would have 1-1/2" of possible "compression" in the rear and 1" of compression in the front before the slip yoke would bind.

Thanks Bernie

1 - Rear Propeller - Meassurement.jpg

1 - Front Propeller - Meassurement.jpg

3 -  Front Propeller - Meassurement.jpg

3 - Rear Propeller - Meassurement.jpg

I have given the issue a bit more thought and we came up with the attached diagram.

Any comments.

Regards Bernie

Attachments

• 1978 TOYOTA BJ 41 4inch LIFT AND 33inch TIRES.pdf
    217.3 KB · Views: 46

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom