FJ40 driveshaft Tube ID (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

40LandCruising

Anderson
Threads
Does anyone happen to know the Inside Diameter of the tube for an FJ40 driveshaft?

Unsure if it makes any difference but it is for the later style(74+?) with the larger U joints with internal snap rings.

I am trying to build a driveshaft to make a trip in a couple weeks and use it as a trail spare after that, and I haven't had a chance to cut the twisted tube off the yoke and measure. And was hoping to get a leg up on sourcing some heavy wall tube with the correct, or slightly smaller ID.

IMG_2143.jpeg
IMG_3136.jpeg

Use bigger tube, OD of the stock shaft is the same as the ID of a common driveshaft size in america

It was an article about making custom lenght driveshaft in the toyota trail magazine (TLCA) early 2000

This way you can cut the damage part of the tube and slip the new one over and weld

Last edited:
^What he said. I made a rear driveshaft using scrap yard pipe, got it straight using two V-blocks and a dial indicator. Ran it for over a decade and 1000's of miles and many trails.

that said, my local driveshaft shop would turn that around in a week. I am out of the driveshaft making business with as fast and good as they are :)

@jim land @CruisinGA so yall are saying to leave the tune that's on there now cut short and then weld a larger ID tube over it?

I was planning to cut all the old tube off on the lathe to get a nice clean yoke and then find a piece of .25" wall tube that would fit the centering nub on the yoke. Or a piece that was slightly smaller ID and turn the inside so it would fit on the yoke.

@CruisinGA what driveshaft shop do you use? I live in Chatsworth, GA and have had a time trying to find someone to build me a driveshaft using cruiser parts.

@40LandCruising Drive Line Service Of North Atlanta Inc. · 6285 Buford Hwy NE Stes A-B, Norcross, GA 30071 - https://www.google.com/maps/place/Drive+Line+Service+Of+North+Atlanta+Inc./@33.93132,-84.2303591,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x88f5a12a8da086db:0x53f80fe5aeaedec2!8m2!3d33.93132!4d-84.2277788!16s%2Fg%2F1tdx0d0q?entry=ttu

I've had a few done by them. I walked in and the guy looked at the shafts in my hands and said "toyota 4wd- land cruiser or mini truck"
It's known on 'Mud that some domestic brand u-joints don't fit correctly in Land Cruiser shafts so to avoid any risk I ordered japanese u-joints from Cruiser Outfitters and took those in with me.
They re-tubed one shaft, shorted the other, balanced painted and installed the new u-joints.

That's funny you have on of @HENDOG 's old 40's. First time I went to Tellico (I was 16) I was lost (before GPS) and Hendog and some other guys passed me on the way and showed me the rest of the way in. This was ~2004. Small world

2.75 .120 wall DOM works well. Slight machine work to make the yokes fit.

Stock Car Steel in NC sells it by the inch. IF the website does not have it, call them. They ship anything under 6' UPS

That's funny you have on of @HENDOG 's old 40's. First time I went to Tellico (I was 16) I was lost (before GPS) and Hendog and some other guys passed me on the way and showed me the rest of the way in. This was ~2004. Small world
The most surprising part about that is @HENDOG actually knowing his way anywhere...well say it was the other guy!

He is a good friend of mine and I've unfortunately bought 2 Toyotas from him, you'd think I'd learn after 1 but I went back for more.

I got a piece of 2.5" sch40 steel pipe we are gonna try and use. It's just for this one trip then a trail spare so should be good.

I had two made when I installed a 5 speed tranny. Not sure what he used but it was metric size. For me I really care less as long it close enough and balanced. That was a while back...way back. It still running with'em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom