Best Mod You Have Done (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

First things first: make sure your junk is *right* before starting in on other projects. Get your brakes, carb, ignition, valves, tre's steering boxes 100% functional. You'll be real surprised how well stock junk works when it's tip-top:)
(edit: brakes can be the one thing it's more cost efficient to "mod" than repair: 8 wheels cylinders and shoes vs a junkyard run for example)

Second: figure what you want to do: Want a light puffed up daily driver? Want to hit fireroads and light duty trails? Want to actually run some challenging stuff? Want to play on things that are actually challenging? Want to go big as hell and beat the snot out your rig and the trail? These all require diffent build strategies...I recommend pursuing them in that order, and honing your driving skills as you climb the "trail rating ladder."

A fully functional dead stock TLC woth 33x9.50's, a little shackle lift or 2.5 spring lift, and a rear locker will get you many, many places you would not have thought possible. I wheeld my junk like that for years, and in fact am now going back and building a second rig just like that. I dig the stock look, and 33x9.50's and a little lift keep that.

Lastly, soa is gonna look pretty "barf: on 33" tires. Some folks may tell you otherwide. I feel 35 is the breaking point between a (is there a good?) 4" sua, and 36+ and soa. Just my freakishly biased .02 thogh.

Remember, the main thing is to do what you want, do it safely and well, and flippin' have fun!

- The Auqualu generation II tub
- Mini truck powersteering
- Greasable shackles and spring pins, these are a mandatory upgrade as far as I'm concerned
- Pollyurethane bushings, all the way around, much stronger than rubber
- Finding this site, the information, the connections, the assistance I've recieved on this site has been an emense help and source of inspiration to finish old projects and or start new ones.

My best mods so far all run a pretty close tie.
Scout power steering
SM 420 + 3spd. t-case
MAF SUA ~ 4-5" lift and MAF SR
35" X-Terrains
1/4" steel bumpers and rockers
The roof rack is pretty cool too!

The worst mod so far has to be the MAF lift springs. I only recommend customs if going SUA.

Future must-haves are
TBI
HEI
Custom 5" springs
ARB lockers and running the plumbing for my OBA

My favorite was an aussie locker in the rear.

don't get procomp springs as they are quite stiff

Done:

Rear locker - dollar for dollar best mod i ever made

Lift - went SUA wish I had gone SOA

Wish list :

Power Steering - This is next on my list

SOA

Toybox

from what I am seeing,,,
1) power steering is by far the #1 mod by most
2) rear locker, soa lift and disk brakes are fighting it out.

I am thinking no matter what type of wheeling i plan on doing, power steering is the next mod. after that i will start a rear locker or soa thread and let you guys pick that one out.

always good to get a lot of opinions, plus i hate trying to park this thing with manual steering. thank you all

I'll start it for you :flipoff2:

rear locker on stock height will go places SOA with no locker won't...

Lockers first, lift second.

lockers first..... is a must... gears befor lift and tires and so on.

CruisinGA said:
rear locker on stock height will go places SOA with no locker won't...

I will argue this....

33's or 35's on a SOA, open, will go further than a 'stocker' with a locker...

(even if you count a 31" tire as 'stock' because it could have come on a 79 or later truck...)

I have pulled 40 series trucks with lockers front and rear through trails because they did not have the ground clearance, and could not get traction...

;)

:beer:

Good luck!

-Steve

Its hard to say which I like best. At the time I started I did not know squat about wheeling. First, I'd say doing all the mods myself, even the fabrication, and doing it right, has been a huge positive in the end. Even if at the time it was tough.

Best I'd say in order:
1) TBI 350
2) Family Cage tied to frame
3) SM420
4) Lockers (ARB front, LR rear)
5) Body armor in various forms (sliders, skid plate, bumpers...)

Worst:
1) 4" Pinnacle springs - They suck. They cause me actual pain. :mad: Should have gone SOA, but at the time I did not think I wanted that. Nor could I have done it myself at the time.
2) Rear bench seat - Not enough protection or stability for my son. Not enough room for anyone or anything else, and didn't leave any room for spares or tools. I just finished a mini-PRP racing seat for my 5 year old. :cool:
3) Cheap-arse RCI harnesses - Should have spent the extra $50 for the Simpson harnesses that don't rub your collar bone raw.

Best money spent on the truck....

Join the TLCA, get EVERY back issue of the trails that are still available, as the information that Mark W. shares with everyone in the tech section there is worth it by itself...

DO IT!!

Poser said:
I will argue this....

33's or 35's on a SOA, open, will go further than a 'stocker' with a locker...

(even if you count a 31" tire as 'stock' because it could have come on a 79 or later truck...)

I have pulled 40 series trucks with lockers front and rear through trails because they did not have the ground clearance, and could not get traction...

I've seen a 53" tall tired 60 with both lockers engaged not make a climb that a stock 42 made with open diffs and 33" ATs.

Sure, anything is possible. The other thing that was not mentioned is the operator factor....

Some people can operate anything, and others could not get out of the parking lot to save their own life, no matter if it was a truck with lockers or a damn shopping cart...

Good luck!

-Steve

I don't mean to argue with you on this, but in the particular situation it wasn't driver error; the 60 owner had been wheeling for years and had built his truck inside and out, but the 42 driver was new to wheeling and actually was borrowing the truck.

There is definitely a fine line between performance of a built truck and a stock truck. Personally, I don't know where it is. I've owned stock 40s and 55s, and have built a V8 portal 55 that was point and shoot. That said, right now I have much more fun in a stockish truck. It's gone everywhere I wanted it to go, and if it didn't, I reckon I didn't have any business going there anyway.

In my opinion

1. Saginaw Power Steering
2. Rear Locker
3. SM420
4. OME lift w/ 35" tires

worst mod
Not doing SOA.

Up and coming
1. Roll Cage.
2. ARB Freezer Fridge (not a mod, buy definitly a must have! )
3. 4.88's and front ARB
4. SOA

1. Eagle Talon Seats
2. Saginaw
3. Welded rear
4. 351w/ NP435
5. Aussie front
6. 5" Alcans
7. MetalTeah cage

on my wagon...i just got rid of the crap ass pinnacle springs from jto that didn't last one weekend and put on alcans...the fronts will go on soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom