Best Alternator (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I searched the FJ80 forum, and didn't see anything posted for best alternator. I replaced the last alternator with a duralast 14832, and it lasted 2 years 2 months before crapping out on me. I know these things don't last forever, but that seems pretty weak to me. I've replaced voltage regulators and brushes in the past, but it seems these parts have gotten quite expensive. Does anyone have any recommendations on alternatives? I saw there was a bosch, but everything seems to be fairly low amperage 80A/90A, and I do have a couple things that draw power: aftermarket double din music display, and a ham radio. Thanks so much!!!

-Andrew

Do you have a FJ80 (3FE engine) or a FZJ80 (1FZFE)?
(Duralast 14832 doesn't come up as a valid alternator part; shows a CV joint
for another vehicle)

For the FZJ80 you can get a Denso Reman'd alternator from Rockauto or a Toyota Reman from your local Toyota Parts Professional (Dealer). You can sometimes save money by finding an online parts store (like Olathe or McGeorges) but then you'll pay shipping. If you develop a relationship with your local Dealer Parts Dept/Professional they may give you a discount once they see you're coming in the door frequently. Most of the other kerapp brand names (Bosch, Don'tlast, etc) use cheapo made in chynnna sheit parts.

Last edited:
If you have fzj80 you can put in a denso from a tundra or Sequoia with a replacement mounting bracket or you can get a jag denso alternator that i believe bolts right in. Both solutions are higher output without having the windings increased for more amps and heat. I guess it depends on definition of best. Most people would say best means denso whatever the model. However if you wanted to run a welder from one then that's another story completely.

jag denso alternator that i believe bolts right in.
Do you have any further information on this solution?
thanks

Do you have a FJ80 (3FE engine) or a FZJ80 (1FZFE)?
(Duralast 14832 doesn't come up as a valid alternator part; shows a CV joint
for another vehicle)

For the FZJ80 you can get a Denso Reman'd alternator from Rockauto or a Toyota Reman from your local Toyota Parts Professional (Dealer). You can sometimes save money by finding an online parts store (like Olathe or McGeorges) but then you'll pay shipping. If you develop a relationship with your local Dealer Parts Dept/Professional they may give you a discount once they see you're coming in the door frequently. Most of the other kerapp brand names (Bosch, Don'tlast, etc) use cheapo made in chynnna sheit parts.
Sorry, the part was 14836 not 14832. I have an FJ80 not an FZJ80. My brother just mentioned that my grounding could have been poor, so ill check out continuity tomorrow, or see if I hooked it up improperly. I'd think even a cheap alternator from Chynna would last longer than 2 years...

I'd say the stock 80amp alternator is probably enough for you. A double din stereo itself doesn't use much more power. Do you have large subwoofers and amplifiers?

I would stick with the stock Denso OEM unit. Reman is fine.

I searched the FJ80 forum, and didn't see anything posted for best alternator. I replaced the last alternator with a duralast 14832, and it lasted 2 years 2 months before crapping out on me. I know these things don't last forever, but that seems pretty weak to me. I've replaced voltage regulators and brushes in the past, but it seems these parts have gotten quite expensive. Does anyone have any recommendations on alternatives? I saw there was a bosch, but everything seems to be fairly low amperage 80A/90A, and I do have a couple things that draw power: aftermarket double din music display, and a ham radio. Thanks so much!!!

-Andrew
Your stereo and ham radio are not considered high draw devices. Your OEM 80 amp unit is more than enough.
The alternator is grounded through the case which is bolted to the mounting bracket. I find it hard to believe that it had faulty ground. However if you search a bit on this forum, you'll find that aftermarket alternators and starters have very short lifespans on these vehicles. Stick with Denso units.

I'd say the stock 80amp alternator is probably enough for you. A double din stereo itself doesn't use much more power. Do you have large subwoofers and amplifiers?
No large subwoofers or amplifier, though I did just find a big old stash of 90's hip-hop.

Very happy with my Sequoia 150A alternator with a Photoman bracket and underdrive pulley. Found the alternator locally via Car-part.com, bought it for $40, rebuilt it myself with Toyota brushes and a Korean-made regulator/rectifier. Ran 4awg wire with a MegaFuse to the battery and an additional ground to the alternator case like the car stereo guys do.

I've had a Mean Green High Output Alternator on my LC100 since 2017.
Solid unit and excellent Customer Support.

Very happy with my Sequoia 150A alternator with a Photoman bracket and underdrive pulley. Found the alternator locally via Car-part.com, bought it for $40, rebuilt it myself with Toyota brushes and a Korean-made regulator/rectifier. Ran 4awg wire with a MegaFuse to the battery and an additional ground to the alternator case like the car stereo guys do.
Can you do this on an FJ80? I just saw that there is a forum for this: 150 Amp Sequoia Alternator install with Photoman Bracket (Part 1 of 3) - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/150-amp-sequoia-alternator-install-with-photoman-bracket-part-1-of-3.1201563/ But it looks like his car is an FZJ80.

My memory isn't that great but I thought someone found another alternator that would bolt in on a 60 series and you just needed the bracket from a 60 series to "upgrade" your fj80. your searching will have to be better than mine though.

@clx16 got me curious, so I did some searching. @Smokinrodder fit a 130 amp Tundra alternator.

I had a machinist do a bit of cutting on the back of the 91 alternator pulley to fit the 130, and just got done building my bracket for the 130 lower mount, will fit it up this weekend and swap my wires to the 130 plug and hopefully everything works well! Had the 130 bench tested at 140 amps.

Coming from wherever with mobile MUD

Got the 130 amp Tundra alternator installed today after building the bottom bracket and slightly modifying the stock upper bracket. I got the 2003 plug and wires and got everything wired up and it works amazingly well! Lucy is now cranking out 14.6V at idle with everything on.

Source thread: 130 amp alternator?? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/130-amp-alternator.722523/

It would be great if @Smokinrodder would post some details and pictures. There have been a lot of 3FE people asking about alternator upgrades, and everyone knows this forum runs on pictures.

Can you do this on an FJ80? I just saw that there is a forum for this: 150 Amp Sequoia Alternator install with Photoman Bracket (Part 1 of 3) - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/150-amp-sequoia-alternator-install-with-photoman-bracket-part-1-of-3.1201563/ But it looks like his car is an FZJ80.

Quote Reply
Report Edit

[IMG alt="DawtSpot"]https://forum.ih8mud.com/data/avatars/m/152/152110.jpg?1553086173[/IMG]
Remove formattingBoldItalicFont sizeText colorMore options…
ListAlignment
  • Align left
  • Align center
  • Align right
  • Justify text
Paragraph format
Insert linkInsert imageSmiliesMediaQuoteInsert tableMore options…
UndoRedoToggle BB codeDrafts
Preview

Font familyStrike-throughUnderlineInline codeInline spoiler
Insert horizontal lineSpoilerCodeGallery embed

Write your reply...
Attach files