What alternator/bracket do I have? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
91 FJ80
So my voltage regulator seemed to be going out (intermittent overcharging) and I decided to just replace the alt with a cheap reman to get me by for a bit and so I could still make a trip we had planned for this past weekend.

The first alt I ordered was from Rockauto, a cheap Bosch. AL3239X
It came and I immediately saw the mounting ears were a different width than the Denso that came off my 80. On the old alternator, both ears sat on the outside of the bracket.

But looking at the bracket on the engine, it looked like the rear ear of the Bosch would slip into the groove and the front would be on the outside. I tried to shoehorn it in like that for about 30min before giving up. The bolt holes just won’t line up. I could get a screwdriver to go all the way through, but not lined up enough for the bolt. It would need to rotate clockwise slightly more, but the top of the alt hits the bracket off the water pump before it can.

Decided to just get an autozone alternator next because I still would have been able to make our trip. Ordered it and it was at the store the next day. Same thing, the close ears.

Did the previous owner already modify the alternator/bracket? When I google the denso part number, it comes up as a 91-92 FJ80 alternator…. Why are the ones I also ordered for a 91 different?

Or am I just an idiot, they fit, and I don’t know how to line up a bolt?

AA70D587-8E0E-404D-93E4-3FD0BE98ECC0.jpeg

AAF5D6FE-CADC-4302-B4A3-9929A7E99A27.jpeg
59C4000C-060F-457F-9010-F50E1A6EBD5D.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like the replacement is a 90 amp unit. The external cooling fan on the old one is indicative of an 80 amp unit. You have a few options. You can grind/modify the 90 amp unit on one of the mounting ears to make it fit (this is what I did). You can order the OEM motor mount that is designed for the 90 amp unit (expensive and labor intensive option) or you can try to source one with an external fan (the 80 amp unit). Apparently the 80 amp unit is problematic to rebuild correctly, so you get an inoridnate amount of remans that are bad right out of the box or near to failure. That, and availability are what made me choose to go with a 90 amp alternator. There's a thread on here somewhere about how to modify the mounting ear on the 90 amp alternator. It's pretty straightforward if you have an angle grinder. Just a heads up if you go that route; it's VERY easy to take off too much material from the mounting ear, so go slowly a little at a time until it fits and don't overheat it (don't ask me how I know this...)

Looks like the replacement is a 90 amp unit. The external cooling fan on the old one is indicative of an 80 amp unit. You have a few options. You can grind/modify the 90 amp unit on one of the mounting ears to make it fit (this is what I did). You can order the OEM motor mount that is designed for the 90 amp unit (expensive and labor intensive option) or you can try to source one with an external fan (the 80 amp unit). Apparently the 80 amp unit is problematic to rebuild correctly, so you get an inoridnate amount of remans that are bad right out of the box or near to failure. That, and availability are what made me choose to go with a 90 amp alternator. There's a thread on here somewhere about how to modify the mounting ear on the 90 amp alternator. It's pretty straightforward if you have an angle grinder. Just a heads up if you go that route; it's VERY easy to take off too much material from the mounting ear, so go slowly a little at a time until it fits and don't overheat it (don't ask me how I know this...)

Thank you! I should have searched a little harder.

Found the thread to modify the mount, ended up grinding a little off the alternator bracket and a little off the ear so I wouldn’t run the risk of taking too much off anything.

Also had to grind out some more space (~1.5”) into the adjustment arm as it seems the hole on the 90amp is in a slightly different spot and needed to be further away to get the belt tight.

The previous owner deleted and removed the smog pump, so that may not be an issue with a stock belt setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom