130 amp alternator?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Will the 03-07 Tundra/Sequoia alternator work on a 3FE?

I bought one and just started to change it and my pulley hits the case of the 130 amp alternator.

I have a 91 with the 3FE, I see your sig says a 94. I am wondering if anyone has put one of the larger amp alternators on the older engines.

I did! Sent mine to Boyles Technology and had it built up. Photomans fix isnt for the 3FE generations.

If anyone's interested in rebuilding your OEM alternator (so you don't have to worry about any fitment or custom bracketry issues), there are 2 companies out there I'd HIGHLY recommend:

- Startech: www.gostartech.com
- Ohio Generator: http://www.ohiogen.com/html/catalog.html

These guys are VERY well known and tried & true in the sport compact community (RX-7, MR2, etc) community, for those of us running a LOT of continuous drain on our batteries.

I just had Startech do my MR2's alternator. Stock is 20amp at idle, 90amp at redline. My OEM unit actually had burn out and completely failed. They rebuild and rewired the entire unit for no additional charge (since they do a full rebuild anyway), and returned it pushing 90amp at idle, and 199 at redline. Now, when I put the trickle charger on the MR2 after going for a drive, it shows the battery full charged in under a minute lol. Can't beat that!

I started to work on an upgrade to the 130/150 amp Sequoia alternator for my 1992 3FE. I have some of the mount design worked out. Unfortunately, because of the time of year it will be awhile before I see how it will work out.

Picture of prototype adapter pulley for larger 3FE belts.

picture.php

Bill

I had a machinist do a bit of cutting on the back of the 91 alternator pulley to fit the 130, and just got done building my bracket for the 130 lower mount, will fit it up this weekend and swap my wires to the 130 plug and hopefully everything works well! Had the 130 bench tested at 140 amps.

Coming from wherever with mobile MUD

i have a mean green 210 amp on my 91. im from pa and mean green is based not too far from me. 2 years ago in november they "borrowed" my lc for a week to test to see if they could up their 140 amp and market a bigger one. i dont know if they ever brought out the 210 amp model for sale for the lc so i might have the only one. its late and raining now but ill try to post some pictures of it tomorrow. anyone could call those guys i think the owners name was jeff, and inquire about it P: (724) 694-8290 not cheap either pushing 500$

Last edited:
I have a 140 amp CS144 installed. It required a bit of monkeying to get it in (one of the alternator mounts had to be ground down a bit) but it seems to work well.

i have a mean green 210 amp on my 91. im from pa and mean green is based not too far from me. 2 years ago in november they "borrowed" my lc for a week to test to see if they could up their 140 amp and market a bigger one. i dont know if they ever brought out the 210 amp model for sale for the lc so i might have the only one. its late and raining now but ill try to post some pictures of it tomorrow. anyone could call those guys i think the owners name was jeff, and inquire about it P: (724) 694-8290 not cheap either pushing 500$
$500?! Holy smokes. Not to take business away from your local guy, but OhioGen and Startech run around $365, and pretty much guarantee right around 200amp. On your own original OEM unit, so no cutting, fabricating, or extra effort at all. And they've got an awesome reputation to boot.

Just my $0.02.

$500?! Holy smokes. Not to take business away from your local guy, but OhioGen and Startech run around $365, and pretty much guarantee right around 200amp. On your own original OEM unit, so no cutting, fabricating, or extra effort at all. And they've got an awesome reputation to boot.

Just my $0.02.

Wow. Seems like a viable option. A used alternator, plus custom pully and bracket, might be a little less, but upgrading the stock alternator is a great idea.

How might upgrading the stock alternator affect reliability vs. swapping in an OEM 130/150 amp from Sequoia?

I started to work on an upgrade to the 130/150 amp Sequoia alternator for my 1992 3FE. I have some of the mount design worked out. Unfortunately, because of the time of year it will be awhile before I see how it will work out.

Bill

Is this coming from a 1st gen Sequoia? Mahalos!

Sent from my hawn finga using IH8MUD

Wow. Seems like a viable option. A used alternator, plus custom pully and bracket, might be a little less, but upgrading the stock alternator is a great idea.

How might upgrading the stock alternator affect reliability vs. swapping in an OEM 130/150 amp from Sequoia?
Well if you're getting a brand new OEM one from a Sequoia, that's one thing. But then again, it's $500+ new if I'm not mistaken. And the warranty on the alternator is the same as the one on the Startech or OhioGen alternators; 1 year/12,000 miles. But with the startech or Ohiogen alternators, you get a LOT more amperage (enough for all your fancy electronics), a complete rebuild of all the internals, and a bolt-on part to boot.

Aaaand...if you're like me and like shiny parts, you can get them to do this to it as well :D :

HPIM0025.jpg

Got the 130 amp Tundra alternator installed today after building the bottom bracket and slightly modifying the stock upper bracket. I got the 2003 plug and wires and got everything wired up and it works amazingly well! Lucy is now cranking out 14.6V at idle with everything on.

Got the 130 amp Tundra alternator installed today after building the bottom bracket and slightly modifying the stock upper bracket. I got the 2003 plug and wires and got everything wired up and it works amazingly well! Lucy is now cranking out 14.6V at idle with everything on.

Any update.. pics pls.. tnks

I checked my Alternator output last night- and 14.6v-14.7v is current output at idle under full load. I bought a used 90 amp with brackets included for 150.00 online- had it shipped directy to Boyles Technology where they increased it to 160amp and the Boyles bill was 185.00- rebuilt July 2011. I have had no issues with it since installed.

Last edited:

Bill

did you ever get a chance to test this setup?

This is the second 3FE alternator thread.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/784970-3fe-tundra-alternator-mod.html

I have been emailing with Cliff from Startech and after the holiday will send him my old OEM 80 amp unit from my 91.

However, if there is ANY hope of shoehorning in a Sequoia unit using Bill's prototype bracket and kit, then I will hold off. I'd rather give money back to the community and keep it all Toyota.

Photoman...please reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom