Builds Benjamin’s 3D Prints Build (30 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So got the prototype for the new cupholders from @BenCC last night and installed it. Real simple and quick install, took me a minute to figure out how to properly get everything back together but all in all I am SUPER STOKED about this.

Mind you this is the first draft prototype from him so there are a couple things he and I are discussing for revisions. BUT the cupholder functionality is AWESOME! After I installed I ran up to the family cabin to do a quick errand, about 45 minutes one way through the mountains. I took my big 36oz Yeti with me and a 12oz La Croix can to test things out. The butterfly can actually be positioned to accommodate both the Yeti AND a standard soda can! The cellphone pocket is a nice addition but I have M2V2 ball mount that holds my phone so not a huge thing for me. It would, however, fit a slim wallet like the single version of my Dango Dapper D1 wallet (I have the Bi-Fold version).

Untitled by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr

Only bummer is that it DOES NOT fit my 14oz Yeti coffee mug, however that is not a deal breaker for me as I hold that in my hand while driving. So take it for what its worth.

Ben wanted me to open this up here for others to post question and feedback. So if there is something more specific you want me to look at or try let me know.

Funny...I put my mask in the same spot. lol

Ok so after about two weeks with the prototype cupholder from @BenCC doing multiple short and long trips, multiple sized driving vessels and whatnot. I have to say that I absolutely love this thing. The phone pocket is not something that is utilized by me so somewhat of a waste of space, but discussing with Ben he seems to elude to the fact that he will offer a version with and without the phone pocket (two designs).

The integration into everything is pretty much stock looking after showing to my brother and my wife. Both drove with me and helped utilize from a passenger perspective and the butterfly is the killshot for this making the functionality just that much better. Small details of fit and finish have already been shared with Ben but outside of that, and the cupholder, this thing is absolutely stellar and just brings the truck up that much more! Even seeing as this is a "prototype" version I am completely happy with it and it has just become a "normal" part of the truck now.

One person had mentioned in the comments about the bottom of their cups getting hot in stock cupholder and I did check this after a couple of longer freeway trips and felt ZERO temp difference. Bottom of cupholder and cup are ambient temp so the material he is using is thick enough that there is no heat transmission that I can detect.

Man, I cannot wait for you to release that cup holder.

D9C7AE53-0800-4F67-9982-3DD4AF9D26B0.jpeg

Last edited:
Ben, love your work... I've been following along since the beginning... I have a couple of requests/ideas. Can you make the cup holder hold a 8.4 oz red bull can? An insert would be fine. Maybe source an insert from Home Depot, and print the cup holder to fit the insert...

Second request is would it be possible to 3D print the entire overhead console with the Scanguage II mount (in one piece), so that people without the sun glass holders would not have to scour the earth to find one?

In any case, i'll pick up the center cup holder once it's in production. The bottom of mine is cracked due to missing the mounting clip during re installation.

Ben, Do you have anything down the pike for the rear cup holder?

The one under Make 7.

Ben, Do you have anything down the pike for the rear cup holder?

The one under Make 7.
If you look back a few pages he had developed a power insert replacement for the rear cupholders where the outsides were the RAM ball mounts and then he developed a cupholder ring for those. Is that what you are looking for?

Ended up being a ways back. But this is what you are looking for I think.

The red prototype was printed with PLA, which is a good material only for fast prototyping. It had good fit with the factory part. But after several hot days staying in the truck, it shrunk. But you see the upgrades from the photo:

1. Phone slot is removed. I personally don't want to put my phone so close to drinks even though most of our phones are water proof.
2. Better fixture to the truck. I want a secure and rigid fixture.

Ok so after about two weeks with the prototype cupholder from @BenCC doing multiple short and long trips, multiple sized driving vessels and whatnot. I have to say that I absolutely love this thing. The phone pocket is not something that is utilized by me so somewhat of a waste of space, but discussing with Ben he seems to elude to the fact that he will offer a version with and without the phone pocket (two designs).

The integration into everything is pretty much stock looking after showing to my brother and my wife. Both drove with me and helped utilize from a passenger perspective and the butterfly is the killshot for this making the functionality just that much better. Small details of fit and finish have already been shared with Ben but outside of that, and the cupholder, this thing is absolutely stellar and just brings the truck up that much more! Even seeing as this is a "prototype" version I am completely happy with it and it has just become a "normal" part of the truck now.

One person had mentioned in the comments about the bottom of their cups getting hot in stock cupholder and I did check this after a couple of longer freeway trips and felt ZERO temp difference. Bottom of cupholder and cup are ambient temp so the material he is using is thick enough that there is no heat transmission that I can detect.
I am working on a updated version. The main change is on the way it mounts on the truck.

The current design is kind of floating. The cupholder is only fixed to the shifter panel and sits on two plastic lips. You know what I am talking about since you have installed it on your truck.

I am making two brackets that fixes the cupholder to some rigid mounting point of the truck.

1596238301336.png

1596238522531.png

Last edited:
Ben, love your work... I've been following along since the beginning... I have a couple of requests/ideas. Can you make the cup holder hold a 8.4 oz red bull can? An insert would be fine. Maybe source an insert from Home Depot, and print the cup holder to fit the insert...

Second request is would it be possible to 3D print the entire overhead console with the Scanguage II mount (in one piece), so that people without the sun glass holders would not have to scour the earth to find one?

In any case, i'll pick up the center cup holder once it's in production. The bottom of mine is cracked due to missing the mounting clip during re installation.
I have upgraded my printers last week. I have one can print 450 mm by 450 mm. The whole overhead console is a future project.

I am working on a updated version. The main change is on the way it mounts on the truck.

The current design is kind of floating. The cupholder is only fixed to the shifter panel and sits on two plastic lips. You know what I am talking about since you have installed it on your truck.

I am making two brackets that fixes the cupholder to some rigid mounting point of the truck.

View attachment 2389545

View attachment 2389556
Nicely done ben!!
Can't wait for the next iteration.

Ben - how about slide out trays in the rear cargo area for the long fold up compartment with the flip up lid so we can remove the long piece of elastic that long ago lost its stretch? You could also add inserts to the trays for tools like sockets, wrenches, etc.

Ben - how about slide out trays in the rear cargo area for the long fold up compartment with the flip up lid so we can remove the long piece of elastic that long ago lost its stretch? You could also add inserts to the trays for tools like sockets, wrenches, etc.
Like this idea.

In the spirit of the Method center caps can you do some for my Icons? They fit a little differently and are too shallow all around.

F5C59BF0-3F2B-4141-A203-5E8151FFCD40.jpeg

Something useful to fill in the spot where the AHC controls are for those that removed AHC??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom