Bad experience with CruiserParts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

amodal1

SILVER Star
Threads
I hate to write a bad review of any provider who supports small communities. I especially dislike doing so for a small family business. This is long due to the drawn out nature of how I came to write a bad review of some folks who I think are probably decent folks. At least decent when they don't have to admit their wrong or failed at something.

That being said, I have to inform the community of a very expensive experience that I had with Cruiser Parts ( www.cruiserparts.net ).

My 97 LX450 started knocking and I had the choice of rebuild the engine or buy a rebuild. I shopped around and Cruiser Parts had a good reputation, had the engine I needed and seemed to stand by their products. The problem was that they stood behind their product so closely, that they cost me over $3000 more than it should have.

They shipped the engine to the dealer who was doing my install. It took longer than expected, but I was willing to wait for a quality top and bottom rebuild that should last me another 20 years.

Instead, when the engine arrived, the service manager called me and said that he didn't want to put the engine in until I looked at it. I went down and saw what he saw: dirty oil inside the cylinders, foam when looking into the valve chambers, it looked like it had been pulled it off a rig and shipped without so much as a cleanup. Thinking there most be a mistake, I contacted Cruiser Parts and they said that they would speak with their rebuild shop (external provider). I sent pictures and they replied that after looking into it they thought the oil must be from when they test ran the engine after rebuild and the foam was normal.

Both the service manager and I were skeptical. I wanted them to be clear that they were confident in this engine before I paid to have it installed and they were very clear that they had no worries. They insisted that there's no way this engine wasn't a sound and clean rebuild.

$3k later ( Bay area prices aren't cheap), my engine was installed. The first time we started the engine, it knocked worse than the engine I had pulled out if it. I contacted Cruiser Parts who assured me it was probably a bolt on part that they sent and we installed. No change.

After conceding that they had sent a bad engine, I waited several more months to receive a replacement engine. That one arrived looking clean and as expected. We installed it for another $3k and everything was great.

I contacted Cruiser Parts to see if they would help rectify their mistake. While they assured me that they had given a stern talk to their rebuild shop and it shouldn't happen again, I was still out six thousand dollars in install costs. They refused to cover any of that cost, clearly stating that their policy will cover parts but not labor. My problem was that we had raised this issue before we installed the engine trying to avoid this situation, and they refused to send another engine and instead assured me that there was no way the engine that they sent could have been a mistake.

I contacted a lawyer and was going to sue after they left me no option and would not even offer to split the cost of the second install. The problem was that I live in California and their policy clearly states that any disputes must be settled in New Hampshire. The cost of travel for court would offset the cost that I had already lost.

Long and short. Their quality was terrible on first round. They were so confident that they nor their rebuild shop partner could make a mistake that they ignored all photos and input from mechanics. They held to this when the crap engine knocked after being installed. And then when they finally acknowledged their mistake, they refused to assist with the $3000 extra in costs that I had to swallow due to their arrogance and sloppy business practice. I'll never order from them again and believe that this community should be aware of the combination of sloppiness and arrogance that leads to (what seems like) good people doing bad business.

All they needed to do was offer to eat the cost of the second install or at least half of it. At this point, I have no qualms in saying that they're a decent business when there are no issues, but if there are, they'll rip you off to avoid taking responsibility for their own mistakes.

Sorry to hear that happened to you. Unfortunate also, as there
are a few excellent shops in California familiar with the 1FZFE which could have rebuilt that for you locally.

Unless you signed an agreement that made New Hampshire the court of jurisdiction, you can sue them in federal court. If you did, you would get all costs, including travel and related costs folded into any award given. It's a lot of costs up front, I know. You could always contact an attorney in New Hampshire and most, if not all, stuff including depositions could be done online. You have a good case here. You reasonably relied upon their professional judgement in installing the engine and you have documentation. You did this prior to installation. You would likely win. If you pursue this, you'll probably get your money back.

I would sue them. What a douche thing to do, it's going to cost them more $$$ in reputation not to have this on the web. They can go back to their rebuilder and have it made right.

Bummer, what a waste of time and $. I hope the new engine lasts 300K.

Good luck getting any reimbursement, but the chances of that are like, 1 in a million:

dUMB.png

That sucks! But maybe the way to go (hopefully they read this thread) is to forego the cost of suing and they ante up some $$ to rectify the situation. That would bring peace and order back to a relatively small community that can easily and irrevocably be damaged.
Good luck to both parties involved.

I would probably have my credit card company kick the charges back and then see if they are willing to negotiate or lose the cash. I only say that because you have already tried to resolve this with them.

That sucks, keep stuff like that close to home like Cruiser Hybrids in Stockton California Georg is a stand up guy sorry you go hosed, and just walk away and do things closer to home so you can have recourse

I feel bad for you, but...
#1. This is not tech.
#2. They are all over the bad vendor section so I'm at a loss to figure out where you saw good reviews.
#3. You live in the Land Cruiser capitol. There are many shops available to you.
#4. You had a dealer do the install? Really?

I feel bad for you, but...
#1. This is not tech.
#2. They are all over the bad vendor section so I'm at a loss to figure out where you saw good reviews.
#3. You live in the Land Cruiser capitol. There are many shops available to you.
#4. You had a dealer do the install? Really?

#5 Dumb*ss 🤣

I know, people think it is a bit asinine when I say this kind of thing, don’t care to sugar coat it.

If people would only do so e research before buying from these kind of companies this wouldn’t happen.

If you don’t k ow by now there are some shady businesses that work on, sell parts for and sell the actual trucks. If you do business with these people, chances are high you will get burned. If people stop doing business with them, they will disappear.

Pretty simple.

Cheers

I was like omg I cant believe it when I first read this thread. But for some reason I thought I read cruiser outfitters, when I reread and realized it was cruiser parts it all made a lot more sense. I would never deal with them. Sorry about your problems. Like others said, at least get an attorney and go from there.

It’s a shame with 5yrs here you never looked further into them.

I’d sooner light money on fire to heat my house than expect anything from them.

Let us know if you ever plan to recover your leather seats ;)

I’d sooner light money on fire to heat my house than expect anything from them.

Sig line material there....:lol:

Truth be told I’ve been in the 80 game for a good while and never heard anything bad about them either. I’ve looked at their site and seen them around but never bought from them.

I ordered a dash part from Cruiser Parts. Their communications sucked when trying to get a response. The part I got was in marginal shape. I did get it after a period of time. Overall, I think they are a sorry operation and there are better alternatives.

Reactions: jdt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom