Nomad Cruisers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2/23/2024 Update: I consider the issue to be resolved. While I ultimately received a partial refund for the numerous issues documented here, I still consider the net $1168 I paid for an unfinished, partial product shipped to me 8 months after order to be unsatisfactory. I would not recommend working with Nomad until they can sort out the many execution and communication issues of their small business, particularly on products ordered and paid in advance with shipping. I wish Zac and his business best of luck in their continued operations.

Have been holding out on making this thread, but have decided it's time.

I've been in the process of purchasing an FJ60 rear swing-out from Nomad Cruisers, run by Zac Gross. I believe he is a member here, and some on the forum have had success in dealing with him specifically on seat covers/upholstery work. As a known vendor to the community, I had comfort ordering an advance product from him, however my patience has run out with lack of communication and as of this date, no product delivered. Although I'm a disgruntled customer, my intent for the thread is not to cast stones, but to hopefully connect and see if any others here are still waiting on product(s) from Zac and what recourse I (or we collectively) have to be made whole in case I'm being scammed. My ideal outcome would be to receive what I paid for and we all move along with our lives.

For partially my own purposes, I've kept a timeline transcribed below and will update if this continues to develop:
  • 4/30/23: Product announced on Instagram (nomad_cruisers), but still in development
  • 5/7: Product announced on Instagram available to order with "5-6 week" shipment timeframe
  • 5/19: I order the swing-out via their listed email, and pay invoice for $1,040 (swing-out, powdercoat, and tax) via PayPal. Shipping to be paid at later date, est. $200 range.
  • 5/23: I request confirmation my payment was received and I am in line for production,
  • 5/24: Zac replies confirming above
  • 7/6: After no communication since invoice was paid, I email for an update at the 6-week mark
  • 7/10: I email again after no response, and Zac states production is running behind due to some "problems"
  • 8/3: I email again for update at 10-week mark
  • 8/4: I email again after no response
  • 8/7: Zac replies that they are waiting on powdercoating, but no shipping ETA yet
  • September (I don't have specific dates): Call the Nomad Cruisers listed phone number (appears to be Zac's cell), leave voicemail (x2). On third try over a couple-week period, Zac answers and says they're still working through production but should be ready to ship the first week of October.
  • 10/24: After no updates, I call the Nomad Cruisers number and Zac replies via text to answer questions. I ask for shipping update, he replies the swing-outs are in from powdercoat and ready to ship. He asks for my name to make sure I am first to send out, with shipping bills going out Friday, 11/3. Given this update, I decide not to pursue a payment claim with Paypal within their stated time-frame.
  • 11/3: I text Zac requesting update on shipping, no response
  • 11/6: I call Nomad Cruisers phone and speak to Zac, claims the swing-outs are ready to ship but need to be packed/palleted which will take some time. He is also taking the remainder of the week off due to a family emergency.
  • 11/13: I text Zac requesting update on shipping after waiting a week due to his request, no response
  • 11/14: I text Zac requesting update on shipping, he replies they are still prepping for shipping, and he will call me Monday, 11/20. We proceed to have the text conversation posted below where I express my concerns. The picture provided does not show powder coat which I was told was done in October.
  • 11/27: After no updates, I text Zac for shipping update and pictures (no response), as well as call (no answer).
  • 11/27: Received call back from Zac, still are working on shipping but quotes came in at $650. Offered to ship it at that cost or wait until he finds another vendor.
  • 12/4: After no updates, I receive invoice for $445 (more than double original shipping estimate).
  • 12/5: I call Zac to verify shipping cost and he claims it is the lowest possible cost. I ask for pictures of the completed product which he promised over 3 weeks ago, and he claims he won't send pictures since the product is boxed up and is not willing to open it. Against my better judgment, I pay the invoice to then receive tracking information (promised tracking info 12/6). He claims UPS should pick up "right away." I verified with Zac the contents of the shipping, and he corrects that he is not including "mounting hardware for the whole bumper" that was described in the original post, only hardware for the swingout itself.
  • 12/11: After a week, tracking has not updated with no pickup or delivery ETA. He claims UPS will pick up Friday, 12/15.
  • 12/15: I call Zac at 5PM my time after no tracking update, and he claims he missed the UPS pickup time, but finding a workaround.
  • 12/16: Tracking updates with estimated delivery 12/21
  • 12/22: Product arrived with lots of issues - not powdercoated, not boxed and therefore damaged from shipping, missing hardware/pieces, etc. Trying to work with Zac for UPS claim before deciding next steps/post.
  • 12/29: Call with Zac to discuss resolution list from shipping damage and issues. Refund for powdercoating cost promised via Paypal by Friday 1/5.
  • 1/8/24: Did not get an update or Paypal refund on Friday 1/5, called and left voicemail. Zac replies via text that all missing items going out "this week".
  • 1/14: Received $100 powdercoating refund via Venmo. Remaining items not shipped yet, sends me text they're going out Monday 1/15.
  • 1/17: Text Zac to confirm missing items went out as I was told, no response.
  • 1/18: Text Zac, no response.
  • 1/19: Text Zac, he claims the rest of my shipment is with local shipping office and has not yet gone out. Claims if not sent on Monday, 1/22, he will separate my items from his bulk of shipments with the office and send to me individually.
  • 1/24: (Wednesday) Text Zac for update, tracking number provided but package was not shipped Monday as promised.
  • 1/29: Replacement items still not shipped.
  • 1/31: Tracking updated with "Damage Reported" and no other information or ETA.
  • 2/5: Request update from Zac, no response.
  • 2/7: Update from Zac covered here
  • 2/12: Spoke with Zac and agreed on a $200 refund to cover the missing items, and I will keep the partial product I received so far. Zac commits to the refund coming by Friday, 2/23.
  • 2/23: Received $200 refund from Zac, he also says he's sending a replacement bumper end cap.

I ventured in to this prepared to allow plenty of time and grace for a small business that supports the Cruiser community, but even with that, the pattern above is unacceptable in my opinion. At every single point of this process, Zac has not kept his word.

Hoping to hear from some others and reach a fair and timely resolution.

Last edited:
IMG_8965.png

IMG_8968.png

IMG_8969.png

Sounds like some growing pains in their new business. Hopefully they're able to iron it out soon and ship it to you soon. Just organizing shipping supplies if they've never done it before can be pretty costly and time consuming.

Some of my suppliers announce parts 10-12 months before they'll actually be available, which is just too much notice. I'd rather them be a month or less out from being in stock and then offer it to people, rather than a crowdfunding sort of situation.

Updated first post. Have paid him shipping and will now see if there are new reasons to delay and I receive the product in the now promised time frame.

Agreed it seems like mostly growing pains with a small operation, and I genuinely try not to be too hard on a small business that is serving an enthusiast community like this. I knew I was up for some risk in advance paying for a newly designed product from a small shop, however, I do expect basic levels of delivery timeline, professional communication, and keeping your word of which Zac has failed routinely throughout the process.

Pictures of product as arrived and set in my garage by UPS driver. Discussed with Zac, who claims the product was shipped in a box that would have prevented damage. Also that "his shipper" sent me the wrong product, explaining why it wasn't powdercoated. We worked through filing a UPS claim (shipping was insured) over Christmas with detailed pictures, which was denied.

IMG_9633.jpeg

IMG_9639.jpeg

IMG_9670.jpeg

Expecting an update by end of week (1/5) from Zac to address:
  • Refund for powdercoating cost
  • Shipment of replacement bumper end cap (broken in shipping)
  • Shipment of latching plate (missing from shipment, apparently has to be re-made from scratch)
  • Shipment of remaining hardware set (missing lug stud, missing bumper hardware bolts)
  • Possible solution/refund for pictured damage to bearing race

Still working through this mess in 2024...

Last edited:
This whole “pre-order list” “pay before product is built” is utter BS.

Look how it turned out for Witts End people.

No way would I pay fully for a product if it’s not ready to ship. A deposit maybe but not full price.

If a vendor/fabricator doesn’t have the funds to produce a product without your full payment they are a bad “business person” imop. No way would I part with my hard earned money!

I’m sure someone is going to argue my point “to help get a young business growing”.

Sorry…..,no, I’m not sorry, I’m not an investor into someone’s business to loose my money. If you have it to sell and ship now, or after a small deposit and lead time, then I’ll buy.

This whole “pre-order list” “pay before product is built” is utter BS.

I've definitely learned a lesson here. Went with Nomad because they were the only ones offering a swing-out solution that retains the factory rear bumper, was base price under $1000, residential shipping, and advertised lead times shorter than average (4x4 Labs, Dissent, etc all 12+ weeks lead time when I was searching). All options for 60's minus Dobinson's I believe have an advance-pay/made to order component. But I certainly regret not going with a more reputable provider which would certainly have panned out better and been worth paying more to avoid this huge headache.

I've definitely learned a lesson here. Went with Nomad because they were the only ones offering a swing-out solution that retains the factory rear bumper, was base price under $1000, residential shipping, and advertised lead times shorter than average (4x4 Labs, Dissent, etc all 12+ weeks lead time when I was searching). All options for 60's minus Dobinson's I believe have an advance-pay/made to order component. But I certainly regret not going with a more reputable provider which would certainly have panned out better and been worth paying more to avoid this huge headache.
Totally understandable!

I go by the philosophy that I was taught many years ago. My profession is a licensed aircraft mechanic. One of my senior mentors told me “read as many crash investigations that are maintenance errors events” . Learn from others mistakes as you will never get to learn what is required if you base your knowledge of learned from your own errors.

I stick to that philosophy in pretty much everything.

I can fabricate pretty much anything, I fabricated brackets to mount the OEM swingout tire carrier for the 80 series. I have had people ask me to make them for them. I will pay you in advance is offers I’ve had.

My reply was no! If I get time to make them I will offer them for sale. I will invest MY money, not theirs, to build said parts.

But between family, full time job and customers that I do custom work and restoration of whatever I just don’t have time. I have so many different projects on the go, mostly personal stuff, that I don’t have a lot of spare time. 🤦‍♂️

Updated first post. Received $100 refund for the powdercoating omission. First positive movement in about a month, but still no shipment on missing/replacement parts.

Taped direct to metal.
My experience with UPS and "damaged in transit" packages (which is extensive) is that when the package is destroyed, which is likely to happen with a big chunk of steel in a cardboard box without proper packing, UPS will cut the cardboard with the label attached and either tape it on a new box with the contents inside or attach it directly to the item. It is odd that the label is applied directly to the metal. I can't imagine anyone other than an e-bay seller shipping it like that. It is possible that the label was damaged and had to be reprinted by UPS hence no cardboard.

The amount and density of the packing required is so much of the cost of shipping heavy metal object that many sellers skimping on packaging and are not offering warranties on metal finishes that are shipped.

The wait combined with the total lack of communication on Nomad Cruisers part is unacceptable. They should have been proactive, notifying customers of the delays/issues/new eta/etc

I hope this gets worked out and the tire carrier is worth it in the end.

(yes I pre-ordered as well and am still patiently waiting....)

My experience with UPS and "damaged in transit" packages (which is extensive) is that when the package is destroyed, which is likely to happen with a big chunk of steel in a cardboard box without proper packing, UPS will cut the cardboard with the label attached and either tape it on a new box with the contents inside or attach it directly to the item. It is odd that the label is applied directly to the metal. I can't imagine anyone other than an e-bay seller shipping it like that. It is possible that the label was damaged and had to be reprinted by UPS hence no cardboard.

The amount and density of the packing required is so much of the cost of shipping heavy metal object that many sellers skimping on packaging and are not offering warranties on metal finishes that are shipped.

The wait combined with the total lack of communication on Nomad Cruisers part is unacceptable. They should have been proactive, notifying customers of the delays/issues/new eta/etc

I hope this gets worked out and the tire carrier is worth it in the end.

(yes I pre-ordered as well and am still patiently waiting....)

The UPS shipment did have an unexplained one-day delay, which may have been a destroyed box and the UPS station re-packing in a sloppy way. Zac has told me it shipped in a box and was packed well with everything included, and part of his claim with UPS was going to be proving it was shipped in a box and arrived without one. I had video proof from my driveway camera the delivery being without box. However, Zac never provided me with a picture of the box ready to ship (after me asking), and the UPS claim was immediately denied, so he clearly wasn't able to prove that with UPS and we'll never know how it was actually packed originally.

Hope your experience is better, in hindsight I obviously wouldn't have purchased and paid up to a more reputable manufacturer. You're the first I've come across as also ordering from him and curious how many of these are in process. He is still advertising them for sale/order on Facebook.

So Im not certain if he is a member here or not..but I have a very good local friend (and FJ60 owner) struggling with them over his pre order as well. Promises after promises after promises. I sure hope they can get this figured out and get people their product. I will say the single time Ive dealt with them was a very positive experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom