"Antirock" sway bars on a 60/62? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Skorpion Mk-1 style system with equalizing airbags...mmm tasty, but as Mace noted, complicated.

How about fitting up a set of low-mounted long-travel air bumps? They'd only likely limit the most extreme roll, but that sounds like what you want.

Edit: OR chop the piss outta the body and lower the suspension and thus the COG.
Jump this thread over to the hardcore section for a wider audience.

The airbags in the above link aren't being used the way you'll be needed them. The balanced airbag system has bags at all 4 corners and has a complicated system of valves that shuttle air between bags during hard wheeling. It's meant to oppose the natural swaying forces induced by running flex-friendly soft springs and perhaps add a smidgen of forced articulation.

The anti rock will help with body roll under articulation. I think mace is right,in theory the only time a sway bar would help is when the suspension articulates the anti rock will "pull" the body level.

Though I have to say with my truck (3 link and coilovers) the anti rock has completely fixed the body roll under articulation, however I really notice it in off camber situations, probably because with my suspension the axles have enough movement to flex to adapt to the off camber and when that happens the away control corrects the body roll.

So why wouldn't it help under a leaf sprung application ?

I'm just thinking out loud here, if the axle was at a 10 degree angle off camber, wouldn't the anti rock pull the body back to level with leaf springs ?

I guess the short answer is if the suspension articulates it will help, but I suppose with leaf springs the axle doesn't have the ability to articulate as much and conform to the obstacle then if won't.

image.jpg

I wheel pretty significant rocks when i wheel and the trails have a good amount of off camber situations... I also dont want to limit wheel travel.... Wont stock bars be limitng?

No why would stock bars be limiting and the CURRIE style not? They both do the same thing. On my 70 I use a front swaybar with extended links for clearance and in the real world has lost nothing.

What is your "real world" in this case? Mine may be different... I'm not worried about on-road, I'm looking for help in a specific off-road rock-crawling/wheeling situation...

My (maybe unrealistic) goal: I want to control the amount that the body and frame roll/tilt away from being parallel with the least off camber axle in "side tilt/off camber situations. In these situations the uphill springs unload and the down hill springs compress - I have fairly flexy springs. This shifts the center of gravity in a way that exacerbates the situation.

Mark, are you ever articulated to your bumpstops?

The only way I can see this helping is in the middle of suspension travel. Let's say that your DS is on the bumpstop and your PS is at full droop. Your swaybar has no suspension to work with and won't do anything.

Another situation is when you're driving on an off-camber trail and the suspension is somewhat level. The swaybar isn't going to help in that scenario either.

You just need to get comfortable with off-camber trails :D

I think part of the reason why sways work so well with @dubsb 's truck is because he has so much suspension to work with.

No why would stock bars be limiting and the CURRIE style not? They both do the same thing. On my 70 I use a front swaybar with extended links for clearance and in the real world has lost nothing.

because the Antirock setup uses a torsion bar to allow flex. The stock bars are not spring steel and are more rigid.

I think part of the reason why sways work so well with @dubsb 's truck is because he has so much suspension to work with.

Coilovers are also significantly more prone to body roll due to a multitude of reasons.

On the air bumps, they work like a shock, so they might help slightly, but can compress completely under slow articulation.

I wouldn't use the air bags for anything except pushing up the frame when crazy tilted... but I'm probably just doing to try to "grow a set" and live with the terror!

I wouldn't use the air bags for anything except pushing up the frame when crazy tilted... but I'm probably just doing to try to "grow a set" and live with the terror!
Maybe you could look into the lowrider scene. I know it sounds stupid but all theirs is hydraulic and they control that stuff with joysticks. Then all you would need is a chain steering wheel.

Maybe you could look into the lowrider scene. I know it sounds stupid but all theirs is hydraulic and they control that stuff with joysticks. Then all you would need is a chain steering wheel.

I know guy that used the stock FJ62 master power window controller relocated to the center console to control the airbags on each corner. It was pretty slick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom