FJ60 Rear Air Bag Suspension - report (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.powerwagonlocker.com
Hey guys,

Here are some long awaited pictures of the rear air bags that I added to the expedition rig. Overall, I was very happy with their performance. I did have a bracket failure in Ouray, CO, but I redesigned the brackets with a hinge that will eliminate future failures. I am awaiting the manufacturers resolution of the problem and will post, vender, part number and my feelings about their resolution of the situation once I hear back from them.

With over 2000 lbs. of gear in the truck for 11,000 miles, I would definately use these again for the job! And the best part - when I got home, I lowered the pressure and it rode like the BDS suspension should.

And, thanks a million to Eli of Elite Welding in Ouray for dropping everything to help me redesign and repair the lower mounts. He did an awesome job!!

In the meantime, here are the pictures!

Have a great day,
Dan

DSC00327.JPG

DSC00326.JPG

DSC00325.JPG

DSC00324.JPG

AWESOME!!! I have been thinking about these for quite some time, but I wasn't sure how they would do with a SUA. Send us the rest of the info when you can.

I have looked into the air bag for load lift and stability and know they work under lets say static conditions.
What happens when the axle needs to articulate from full compression to full droop?
thanks,
devo

Me thinks that's what the hinge is for..........full droop.......sound right?

I konw you can get a lot of articulation out of Air bag suspension these days but a really good set up costs a bit. I've seen some really nice set ups on trucks. How much travel are you getting out of your bags?

That's exactly what my setup looks like. Glad to hear that you're liking them, I'm very happy with mine as well although I'm still fiddling a little bit. I will probably take one leaf out of the springs so that I'm a little more on the bags than I am right now. I also added Bilstein 7100's to control the rebound a little better (I went 78/275 but may revalve them with a little more rebound control).

In regards to travel - since both dshock and myself have the bags mounted in front of the axle the bags don't need quite as much travel as the axle itself. This is why trophy trucks with 30"+ of travel mount their springs/shocks forward of the axle on the suspension links. I haven't flex'd mine out yet but per the bags's specs they should be fine for my 2" lift when mounted in front.

If you really want airbag travel: http://www.overthehill4x4.com/Airbag.html Over the Hill mounted my bags when they did my engine rebuild. James mentioned that W has pulled a bag apart once on his FJ-55 buggy (which is just sick flexy) but he wasn't running a limiting strap at the time.

Another option for those willing to go the custom mounting route: http://www.fcfabrication.com/gallerypages/fj601.htm Mounting on top of the axle will give more load carrying capacity and the double convoluted bag doubles as a bumpstop. This wasn't an issue for me, front of the axle will give all I need for my uses.

Here's a shot of my airbags - before I took them off. Now I get to put them back in :) (Alaska & Moab proven) Bob
Airbag photo small.jpg

Here's another idea: Chevy truck rear springs (credit for this idea comes from the Alaska Cruiser Crew). Chevy springs are longer, thus you move the front mount forward - raising the rear end naturally as the front spring mount is now on the flat (horizontal) part of the frame. Rear Spring Mount might have to move slightly to center the tire in the wheel well. Chevy springs come is all varieties, are easy to source and easy to adjust by adding/subtracting leafs. Bob

I have a few questions... as I am going to install some type of air bags soon.

1) Have there been any problems with the bags being so close to the exhaust pipe ? Bags Melting ?
2) Any rub on the tires when compressed
3) It looks like the bag becomes the bump stop ?? While is is mounted at the same level won't the bag stop at about 3" below the bracket.

Thanks

Mark

No issues with heat from exhaust, or rubbing tires. The bottom mount is inside the wheel and there have been no issues with the upper mount.

I am pretty sure that the factory bump stop still comes into play on full compression, but am not 100% sure.

I would definately do it again.

Dan

Thanks...

I will also be checking these out which mount over the axel and DO replace the bump stop.. popular in AU and imported though Canada... a direct bolt on kit. I'll be calling them on Monday about the price.

Boss Suspension PTY (Load Assist 1 Kit )

Mark

^^^If you could share Boss' price when you get it, that would be cool.

^^^If you could share Boss' price when you get it, that would be cool.

divider_line.gif

Boss Suspension Load Assist 1 $349.00 + S&H

PDR DIESEL
#102 18910 94 AVE, SURREY BC V4N 4X5
Phone: 1.604.888.4159

I placed my order with Mark (Not me)

I should have them in about 3 weeks and I'll post up a write up.

Later

Mark

I ran a pair of Firestone Ride-Rite double ring bags for years on my BJ60, they were great!!!!!!!! They didn't have a kit for my application ( and I got two used bags cheap) so I just mounted them forward of the rear axle, bottom plate sitting on the top of the spring pack, with the 2 mounting bolts (surprisingly just the right spacing to clear the spring pack on either side) down to a 1/4" thich strong back across the bottom of the springs. The top I welded up a square riser (like the 4runner rig on the Boss pages) about 3" long out of 3/16 steel and had the inner and outer plates extend up the side of the frame to the top. They sat just forward of the shock cross tube and that and the curve of the frame kept them tight in place. I was going to cross bolt them through the frame but free it allowed them to float a bit at full extension. Then they were never in any danger of being in tension, just compression like they are designed for.
I fitted long tire valve stems on the top bag plate port and could easily reach around/across the tire to fill/soften them, the K.I.S.S. priciple. remote control would have been nice, I guess but if a line fails or gets ripped out all of a sudden you totally lose your lift on one side....
They worked great for about 15 years and countless BC logging roads until I got one of the ultra cheap Ironman suspension e-bay specials a few years ago. Goodby flat stock springs!
I do miss them for big loads and think I'll have a look at the Boss units at PDR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom