All my NE guys know what time it is... Undercoating (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finally got the proper setup to do my own undercoating. I was paying a buddy $300 to do it yearly but I figured if I'm going to spend the money every year I might as well double down and get done with a project a long time coming - getting my barn setup with shop air. So about 2k later - an Ingersoll Rand 80 gallon, tools and electric, plus a 5 gal bucket of Woolwax and I am ready for many winters to come.

Woolwax is much nicer to use than fluid film - it goes on thicker and seems to have less overspray.

You don't need a big compressor to do this. The gun I bought only needed 5CFM.

I was able to get inside the frame with the hoses from the gun, particularly that spot in front of the spare that LOVES to rust.

I sprayed it thick on the lower control arms, that always washes off first.

This truck is on year 6 in NJ and looks just as nice underneath as it did when it left Georgia.

Here's the gun I used. Worked great.

amazon.com/dp/B09RNFM548

PXL_20231112_140134081.jpg

PXL_20231112_163507825.jpg

PXL_20231112_163534644.jpg

Job well done! Wish I had a lift when I do my yearly roll around on the ground dance moves with spray cans. It's a good show for my neighbors.

Looks great - when can I bring my rig over? :D

How do all your rubber bits hold up to the stuff your spraying on? I always get paranoid about spraying that stuff that can make all the rubber swell but it seems like yours is holding up just fine.

I'm not too careful with the rubber and if its real thick i wipe it off. The only problem I have had was with the splash shields over the sides of the engine in the wheel wells. They stretch a little. All the heavy rubber stuff seems to be fine.

That's awesome! I'm due to spray our vehicles very soon. I use fluid film and I appreciate your quick comparison of the two, very helpful!

I'm jealous of the lift. I just lay on the ground. :)

Edit with question for @FrankieJoe14 : Where do you buy your Woolwax? Have you found a good deal somewhere in particular?

How do all your rubber bits hold up to the stuff your spraying on? I always get paranoid about spraying that stuff that can make all the rubber swell but it seems like yours is holding up just fine.
Zero problems after five years of FluidFilm here. I use the bulk stuff so there are no propellants, if that matters.

Zero problems after five years of FluidFilm here. I use the bulk stuff so there are no propellants, if that matters.
It's the petroleum based fluid that is the issue as that causes rubber to swell. But it seems like reality VS general warnings of these products differ since many folks have good luck with it and no issues with rubber.

I try to avoid just blasting it on and instead I spray a rag and then wipe it around to try and avoid it seeping into the bushings.

Either way seems fine, better than salt / moisture penetrating.

Best time to oil undercoat is july/august that way it has an opportunity to wick up into all the nooks and body panel seams while its hot out

That's awesome! I'm due to spray our vehicles very soon. I use fluid film and I appreciate your quick comparison of the two, very helpful!

I'm jealous of the lift. I just lay on the ground. :)

Edit with question for @FrankieJoe14 : Where do you buy your Woolwax? Have you found a good deal somewhere in particular?

Amazon has the 5 gal buckets of woolwax for $229. I laid it on THICK and will have no problems getting 4 trucks out of a bucket.

EDIT : I should say Amazon HAD them. I bought mine oct 26 and now they are no longer available.

It was sold by Kellsport Products. They have a site too.

WoolWax is great stuff - Kellsport Products are good people too (a sponsor of Yankee Toys' Fall Gathering as well.)

I like to spray some light oil into all the tiny gaps and seams as a first step. Accessible high-exposure spots get a layer of CRC Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor ~basically cosmoline.

Then a liberal layer of WoolWax just about everywhere but the brake rotors and catalytic converter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom