AC pulley Noise: is it the clutch, or compressor i need to replace? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
when idle or driving, my AC clutch engages and disengages even though the AC button on the climate control panel is set to off. Defrost is on, fan speed is on low. Is this normal? I havnt been able to find any threads mentioning this.
The reason im asking is because once the pulley engages there is an audible bearing noise. When not engaged its quiet. Im trying to figure out if i need to replace the pulley, or the compressor.
20240227_091042.jpg

Last edited:
Is your defroster on? What (exactly) are the HVAC buttons set to when you are seeing this cycling?

It is common on many cars, including the 80 series, and I would assume the 100 series too, for the AC compressor to engage periodically under certain conditions when the defroster is running.

Mark...

So with defrost on, and the air set to low the pulley is engaging and disengaging periodically so Mark's post makes sense.
The reason I'm asking is because the pulley is quiet until it engaged, at that point it begins to make a bearing noise. I'm trying to figure out if I just need a clutch, or if I need a new compressor all together.
Edit: OP has been edited for potential help.

Last edited:
Mine is noisy too but functions fine.

Pull the belt off and spin the pully and listen to the sound of the bearing. If the bearing is what makes the sound, then replace it. STICK to the Japanese bearing (NEVER a chinese junk). You can replace the bearing WITHOUT removing the compressor or evacuating the gas. If there is no sound, then it is interior and mine makes a sound when AC is engaged and it is not from the bearing.

Pull the belt off and spin the pully and listen to the sound of the bearing. If the bearing is what makes the sound, then replace it. STICK to the Japanese bearing (NEVER a chinese junk). You can replace the bearing WITHOUT removing the compressor or evacuating the gas. If there is no sound, then it is interior and mine makes a sound when AC is engaged and it is not from the bearing.
I'm thinking it's the compressor. The only time it's making noise is when the entire pulley is spinning. I have a video of it, but not sure how to post it here. I'll pull the belt and check it though.

I’m having this issue on my 2006. Just got back from the mechanic 15 minutes ago. I was having a noise/whining/when turning on ac or defrost. He diagnosed it is compressor. He said he would let it cool down and take the belt off and check additionally but was 99% it was the compressor.

OP, Your clutch bearing is fine if it's quiet when clutch is disengaged. When the clutch engages the clutch idler bearing stops turning and the compressor starts turning. So the noise is in the compressor, of course the compressor makes some noise when working so you'll have to judge if it's excessive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom