"All-Electric Sport Utility Truck" - Bollinger Motors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FishTown

TLCA Member #29560
Threads
Feel free to move this if the admin doesn't think it should be here, but I'm curious to know what the 60 community thinks about this company that is coming out with the "first all-electric 4x4 sport utility vehicle."

Bollinger Motors

I'm not a big electric car guy, but this is super interesting to me. I'd really love to see what it can do off-road. I think would seriously consider this if they can manage an affordable price point.

Let's see what the peanut gallery has to say. :popcorn:

I'm not a big fan of battery powered cars mainly because of range/endurance. But this looks cool.
It looks to have a 120-200 mile range.Which seems a bit short,but you could probably add more batteries in place of the front storage area.

I'm not a big fan of battery powered cars mainly because of range/endurance. But this looks cool.
It looks to have a 120-200 mile range.Which seems a bit short,but you could probably add more batteries in place of the front storage area.

That was my first thought also. But, hell, I don't get much more than a 200 mile range out of my tank haha.

This is very cool...and whether you like it or not, a very real future.

Plus this looks to be specifically marketed towards outdoorsy/farm and ranch types. 120-200 mile range? that's a lot in my book.

Since you asked opinions--quick thoughts:
If designing a totally new vehicle, why this configuration? An area with a front "engine" compartment is antique--why not some type of cab-over design and put the passengers more forward? Batteries can be located almost anywhere if designed originally for weight distribution. Nowadays there's electric steering, electric "gas" pedals, electrically-operated transmissions, etc.. Why all the sharp corners? Understand that aerodynamics is not intended, but............

This really looks like a modified Icon4x4 (which is a revision to the FJ40 after all) and is probably the market it is seeking. The electric winch would draw-off a lot of the storage power. The cute pass-thru for lumber is not practical but will appeal to mall cruisers. WTF is the rancher supposed to do when he runs out of juice way out in the field--what kind of portable battery pack would get him going again and do his friends carry that battery pack around with them to help in any "rescue?" Seating could be three across with proper design. Ultimately, doesn't seem like much unique research really went into this design.

Seems like a much cheaper option would be to electrify a current model Jeep Wrangler with mass-produced parts, but then that wouldn't appeal to the preppy vineyard rancher crowd. Conclusion: to each his own.

If designing a totally new vehicle, why this configuration? An area with a front "engine" compartment is antique--why not some type of cab-over design and put the passengers more forward?

I had this same thought. A cab over would be sweet. But like you said, may not appeal to as many people initially. It may also have something to do with safety - more "crumple" room. But given that this thing doesn't have airbags, I doubt safety was a huge priority. If nothing else I think it's an interesting idea and I hope it sparks competition.

I had this same thought. A cab over would be sweet. But like you said, may not appeal to as many people initially. It may also have something to do with safety - more "crumple" room. But given that this thing doesn't have airbags, I doubt safety was a huge priority. If nothing else I think it's an interesting idea and I hope it sparks competition.
According to info they published, they have it listed as a class 3 vehicle which makes them exempt from some big safety features I guess. This speeds up development but at the cost of the end user....

How much? Dare we ask. I didn't see any mention of it on their website.

Less than $100k

I'm new to Land Cruisers, and am looking for the right one to purchase. But I'm not new to Toyota. Anyway, I wonder if someday some Land Cruiser owners will be converting their rigs to electric. What would have to happen to make someone want to do this?

I'm new to Land Cruisers, and am looking for the right one to purchase. But I'm not new to Toyota. Anyway, I wonder if someday some Land Cruiser owners will be converting their rigs to electric. What would have to happen to make someone want to do this?
1,000 mile capacity.

I could see this happening one day... but not sooner than 10 years. It'll definitely take some leaps in battery technology. More range (300-400 miles). But electric motors could be a good thing off-road with all the torque they produce.

Another thought I just had - you probably wouldn't want to drive through any water passings... maybe I'm wrong here, but that would suck if you shorted the entire system just by driving over a low water crossing or something.

$60,000-$80,000

I'm out

Looks awesome though

For something that appears to be built with flat sheet metal with an absolute bare minimum number of bends, an ultra minimalistic interior, lack of any real safety features and largely off-the-shelf parts, that sure seems like a lot of money.

For something that appears to be built with flat sheet metal with an absolute bare minimum number of bends, an ultra minimalistic interior, lack of any real safety features and largely off-the-shelf parts, that sure seems like a lot of money.
Sounds like your describing a 40

:rofl:

I'd like it better if it had a diesel in it. :D

I'd like it better if it was related to a 60-series Land Cruiser in anyway at all... we have a chat section :rolleyes:

If designing a totally new vehicle, why this configuration? An area with a front "engine" compartment is antique--why not some type of cab-over design and put the passengers more forward? Batteries can be located almost anywhere if designed originally for weight distribution. Nowadays there's electric steering, electric "gas" pedals, electrically-operated transmissions, etc.. Why all the sharp corners? Understand that aerodynamics is not intended, but............

This really looks like a modified Icon4x4 (which is a revision to the FJ40 after all) and is probably the market it is seeking. The electric winch would draw-off a lot of the storage power. The cute pass-thru for lumber is not practical but will appeal to mall cruisers. WTF is the rancher supposed to do when he runs out of juice way out in the field--what kind of portable battery pack would get him going again and do his friends carry that battery pack around with them to help in any "rescue?" Seating could be three across with proper design. Ultimately, doesn't seem like much unique research really went into this design.

Seems like a much cheaper option would be to electrify a current model Jeep Wrangler with mass-produced parts, but then that wouldn't appeal to the preppy vineyard rancher crowd. Conclusion: to each his own.

This is the optional remote recharging unit!

pic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom