Clarence the "Fire Truck" thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey mud,

Just wanted to start out this thread with a bit of "HOLY SH*T". Pulled into the driveway last night and my 1985 fj60 was on fire. I quickly called 911 and my local volunteer fire dept. crew came quickly and put it out. It looks as though the battery was the culprit, and the battery is still crackling and hissing as it sits. Never seen something like that cause a fire.

It could have been worse, and I'm grateful that it didn't explode, but it had not been burning long enough to do more than it did. Luckily I got home when I did, and luckily I cannot park in the garage because my house was built in 1968 and the rig is on 35s.

Now starts the next chapter in the truck I have been calling "Clarence". It's now the Fire truck, for obvious reasons. I'll keep posting up as I figure out what is bad and what is good on this front end. It's a mess, but I'm going to tackle it!!

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

Joel

View recent photos.jpeg

IMG_3817.jpg

IMG_3539.jpg

IMG_3540.jpg

Sorry to see that Joel :(

You got like 9 months to fix it for GSMTR though!! :grinpimp:

So what’s the plan?

Doesn’t look that bad. Definitely can be saved?

I will admit, I do worry about this sometimes.

So what’s the plan?

Doesn’t look that bad. Definitely can be saved?

I will admit, I do worry about this sometimes.
the truck is certainly burned and has soot everywhere but from what I can tell it’s mostly cosmetic. I’ll get the burned parts removed and then see what I’m working with.

I took out the battery, and it was still hissing…..

72236813585__12751D25-E24F-4119-89C2-E7EB205F38C6.jpeg

Looks more like "crispy" Clarence to me than fire truck. Good thing the fire was put out before it spread. I can imagine that smell.

Ok, after a full belly of Thanksgiving food, I kept cracking on the Fire Truck. Removed burned up winch, scrubbed and cleaned the front end. Battery positive looks decent, and fusible links are still in perfect shape (thank God).

I wager I could put a battery on the rig and it would run and drive....

Needs list:

-Grill
-Headlight bezels with turn signals
-Headlight wiring plugs (pigtails)
-Turn signal wiring plugs (pigtails)

It's not as bad as I thought, and I am very relieved

Happy Thanksgiving!

72247186098__BA8FF1F8-E695-4A5E-8D19-AFC1DE339E7B.jpg

IMG_3556.jpg

IMG_3555.jpg

I think she’s gonna be JUST fine!

Will it run?

Man, sorry to hear that Joel. Glad it didn’t touch your house and nobody was hurt.

I’ve got a grill from my 84 in the barn. If you want it just PM me your address.

Gimme…I think you’re on to something! Just polish down the burn marks into the distressed edges of the paint. Restore the rest (headlites, grill, bumper, electrical and mechanicals) up to complete operational standards. Vintage battle scars amidst perfection.
What a story you have to tell.

Gimme…I think you’re on to something! Just polish down the burn marks into the distressed edges of the paint. Restore the rest (headlites, grill, bumper, electrical and mechanicals) up to complete operational standards. Vintage battle scars amidst perfection.
What a story you have to tell.

Absolutely I agree.

I always figured in a dystopian society I would be running around in the outskirts of town, with my potentially half burns FJ62 running off of biodiesel.

It would be a good movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom