Clarence the "Fire Truck" thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Last edited:
That’s a Beefy setup. Good stuff dude!

When I brought GHOST home day 1

I crawled under her and gave a more relaxed 101% visual and photos front to back

The only major 🚨 ‼️ alarming thing I saw that made me freeze-frame then and there was the WARN Electric Winch was directly hard wired with some silly azz JUMBO-Tronics monster battery cables to the wrong 27 series flipped terminals wrong new Excide 810 CCA battery ..

I we like no way ….really ???

Then trying to sort out how best to disconnect the B+ winch cable that way some how bolted to the side of a TRACK Auto 1986 monster old skool lead lug ….

Running my hand down as far as I could reach I felt a burr or snag on my finger tips ..

I had to physically un-bolt the 1986 FJ60 main center grill section. Because there was stainless steel footman loops holding the cable
In place as it tuned and twisted from battery terminal to the warm ARMY truck size winch …

Well …..

If you ever want to know why TOYOTA dips all there footmans loops. In fact all OEM japan parts makers do ..

So your rubber fuel hose , or full on un-fused B+ larger then life battery to winch NO fuses NO nothing don’t rub and chafe off the cable jacket it self and ARC to ground at the next pot hole
In the road ….

I pulled B+ cable after simply and carefully CHOPPED the head off the snake 🐍 close up flush to the B+ lead lug …

I made sure it was a clear and clean one chop stop , I used my Electricians SUB Panel FEED cable loppers …

Put a scrap sheet of EPDM rubber under it a Around the B+ terminal because if I sneezed and it was not a clear off Lop that also cleared the cable away I was parodied that it could some how arc to ground and blow up the batter in my face ACID and all
That dreaded smack !!

Well …

It gets way more scary after a successful lop up top then at the winch B + lug too ..

I snake the cable out all in one piece and was like HOLY S#IT !!

There was bare copper strand wires exposed at 2 of the stainless steel NO BLACK rubber dipped SEA CHOICE system footman loops

I don’t. Understand why it had not arced up to that point ???

Guess TEq-Gesus was in my back pocket that Inital 2+ hour DC beltway + drive home for sure ….

I have never seen a B+ battery cable in any form arc to ground in my life ???

Glad I have not yet and never will ….

Do you think your winch B+ main cable chafed on the chassis some where and caused this chain of events ??

That was a scarry Moment when I think back ??

🥶🥶🥶🥶

Happy Saturday bump to this thread. Got a wiring section from a parting out truck in VA. Next steps are to splice in this whole section and start working on getting headlights, turn signals, bezel, grill all pieced back in...

It's a work in progress, but hopefully the Fire Truck can be back on the road before Christmas!

If anyone has a decent front grill, PM me.

cheers

401105069_887143949708294_3240444774609999494_n.jpg

So here is the cut end that I need to mate with my harness.

I want to connect these ends very securely to the harness..

What's the best and most secure way??

72321806418__23E9DF9A-F82A-494D-B662-3B4671FD76E2.jpg

An actual seal electrical connectors. Looks like it’s about 30 wires? I’d do a 14 and 16-way, or a 12 and 18-way, etc
You’re going to have a hard time finding a +30 way housing that can use wire with that large of a gauge.

It may sound intimidating but it’s not hard once you get going.

If you want DM me and I can help you get set up with what you need Joel.

5AB23A16-29CF-4BCB-9DAB-DC231A0A5D84.jpeg

554E001A-D152-4860-A92E-07F9390CE8ED.jpeg

B768E63A-CAA9-4AD3-8AE3-1AA0D43695E6.jpeg

Took advantage of a beautiful day here in Nashville...

Fine grit sandpaper and removed a lot of the BBQ on the Fire Truck...

Amazing how closely the bare metal matches the silver. LOL

Next Step, Fluid Film?

View attachment 3497798View attachment 3497799View attachment 3497800
I take it the fire didn't get hot enough to soften the steel? My uncle had a barn fire a number of years ago. Anything aluminum or glass was a puddle, and any steel was soft and fubar'd. Totally incinerated my cousin's El Camino, and a number of dirt bikes and tractors... The barn's steel roof steel i-beams were sagging by at least a foot!

I take it the fire didn't get hot enough to soften the steel? My uncle had a barn fire a number of years ago. Anything aluminum or glass was a puddle, and any steel was soft and fubar'd. Totally incinerated my cousin's El Camino, and a number of dirt bikes and tractors... The barn's steel roof steel i-beams were sagging by at least a foot!
No, from what I gather, I got home shortly after the fire started. Prob 30 minutes or less... Fire certainly wiped out the front grill/turn signals, plastic stuff, but metal is fresh...

Back in the zone today with the Fire Truck. Thanks to some very generous mud members, I’ve started to get this truck back to “normal”. Thanks to everyone that has helped!!

A couple of pics from today….

Turn signals and “Toyota” emblem on the way…

Merry Christmas mud!

IMG_3859.jpeg
IMG_3860.jpeg
IMG_3861.jpeg
IMG_3862.jpeg

the truck is certainly burned and has soot everywhere but from what I can tell it’s mostly cosmetic. I’ll get the burned parts removed and then see what I’m working with.

I took out the battery, and it was still hissing…..

View attachment 3489134
Reminds me of many of these new electric (tesla) cars that have so many battery fires and it takes 3 fire trucks to put one car out. Really glad no one was injured and it's another chapter for your FJ60. You'll be smiling the day you get it back from the paint shop. :)

Reminds me of many of these new electric (tesla) cars that have so many battery fires and it takes 3 fire trucks to put one car out. Really glad now one was injured and it's another chapter for your FJ60. You'll be smiling the day you get it back from the paint shop. :)
Thanks, man! I'm smiling already, and hoping that after I put it back on the road and shake it down it doesn't have a bunch of electrical gremlins.

As for the paint shop, not sure when that's going to happen! The rig now has a lot of character, and it's original paint (on the rest of the rig) is going to be hard to paint over. Once you paint it, you can't get the original paint back....!

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom