SOLD SOLD - [Portland, OR] 1984 BJ60 Turbo Diesel - 600,000km & plenty of rust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's finally time to part with my BJ60. At nearly 600,000 km on the chassis, she's has been around the block. Legally imported from Canada and registered in Oregon as a diesel. A previous owner drove it from British Columbia to Patagonia and back and has the patches on the headliner to prove it. The motor has been replaced at some point, and I have no idea how many miles are on the motor, but it runs strong. Compression numbers in the 400-425 range. The 3B diesel engine has had a turbo added, which really livens things up. Mated to a 5spd manual transmission, she scoots around quite nicely and gets over 20 MPG. I've owned this LandCruiser for about 4 years, and in that time I've done quite a bit of work to it.

Since I purchased the truck it has had the following work done:

* New ARB Bull Bar
* New Smittybilt 8500lb winch with synthetic line
* New complete OME Lift kit (rear springs, u-bolts and shocks included, but not installed)
* New tie rod, drag-link, tie rod ends
* New 33" BFGoodrich KO2's (less than 1500 miles on them)
* New radiator
* Rebuilt knuckles
* New front brake pads & rotors
* Headlights upgraded to TruckLite heated LEDs (no snow/ice buildup!)
* Heavy duty headlight harness
* New front turn signals and lenses
* New brake light housings and lenses (one lens has since been broken, and I'm pretty sure I have another I can replace it with)
* Instrument gauges installed in the factory radio slot (Boost, Exhaust Gas Temperature, Oil Pressure)
* New glow plugs
* New accelerator cable
* New BOSCH fuel priming pump
* New fan clutch
* New belts
* Glow switch
* New reproduction interior carpet mats from Trail Tailor (front rubber mats can be included upon request)
* Two new batteries (NAPA Legend AGM)
* Stainless steel battery trays
* Blacked out grill and partial chrome delete
* and more…

However, not all is sunny in this LandCruiser's history. Our friendly neighbors to the North extensively salt their roads in the winter. Unfortunately, Canadian salted highways have taken their toll on the BJ60's body and frame.

Some of the bad:

* One body mount (rear driver's side) has completely rusted through, resulting in a slight lean
* The rear of the frame is rusty and several sections should be replaced or reinforced to ensure longevity
* The body itself has rusted through in a few areas, the most visible of which is the bottom of the passenger side fender
* The rear wheel wells are in poor condition
* The a-pillar on both sides has some problematic rust
* There may be additional rust that I cannot see
* The truck was also the victim of a hit and run that resulted in some horizontal white stripes along the driver's side
* The carpet could use being replaced. Thankfully there are inexpensive options for new carpet!
* Cold starts can be smoky, but it clears up as soon as you let off the gas and let it idle

While I do drive the truck as-is, it is in need of repair from an experienced welder. I have a replacement for the rear driver's side door, that took the worst of the damage from the hit-and-run, that will be included in the sale. For the right buyer, this is a great truck that can last for many more years of offroad adventures. A strong drivetrain, on a chassis that needs a lot of love. Come check it out and make me an offer.

Mud price: Sold

IMG_4847.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet looking 60! My favorite color too...wish you were closer. Could be a fun project.

GLWS
Thanks! It really is a looker, even with the rusty wheel wells. For someone who can do the body work on their own, or has a good body guy who bills cheap, this will make a really great project. Brown didn't start as my favorite color for 60 series, but I think it is now.

Bump for brown cruisers. Ever find anyone local to work on it? My brown 60 could use some rust repair.

Bump for brown cruisers. Ever find anyone local to work on it? My brown 60 could use some rust repair.

Josh at Willamette Blvd Service Center was working on the rear of a frame when I was over there yesterday. There's a guy Dario with a paint shop out East, I wanna say something like E 146 & Burnside, if I remember correctly, who can do the body work. He's inexpensive, as far as body work goes, but still doesn't end up being cheap. A road trip to Mexico might be your best bet for cheap body work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom