Advice on New tires for FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Afternoon all,

I'm in the process of putting new tires on my beloved 62 (below in the driveway). I'm using rims from FJ.co and going for a look like the second picture (parked in the grass). I'm aware that this look - hubcaps - is not time-period original but let's stay calm. It's just a look I dig. But on to my question:

I'm relatively comfortable with nearly any/all interior renovations but don't have a ton of experience replacing tires. Does anyone have a recommendation for a year 'round tire for an FJ62 that lives in the Northeast?

Thanks in advance - I appreciate your counsel!

White_profile_newShoes.JPG

White_profile_newShoes2.png

These wheels from City Racer look pretty stock but are 16", allowing for a wider selection of tire sizes: 16" Wheels / Rims for Land Cruiser FJ40 FJ45 FJ55 FJ60 - https://www.cityracerllc.com/products/16-wheel-for-toyota-land-cruiser-fj40-fj45-fj60-70-series

For my money, it's hard to beat the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs for year-round use where it snows. They're winter rated and are really great on snow and ice. I've always run them on my trucks. They're not a rock crawling tire, and I've seen comments that the sidewalls are not that strong, but they've always done everything I've asked of them. My truck mostly sees paved roads, gravel, and forestry service roads.

img_3848-copy-jpg.3385352

I also have FJCO rims. These are 235/85/16 BFG KO2 tires. I think this is kinda what you're referring to in the second pic you posted. I had KO2's on my 4x4s when I lived in the Midwest & East Coast as well, always thought they did pretty good in the rain/snow.

The new BFG KO3's are coming out soon. I'm waiting for their arrival to throw on my 200. I have KO2's on my other rigs.

My Ram truck came with Goodyear wrangler duratraks and started quiet but they got really loud at around 20k miles on them (very common problem if you look up any RAM truck threads). I ended up replacing early with KO2 which work for most applications and stay quiet for the life of the tire (currently at 35k miles on them on my truck). I also have TOYO Open Country AT 3 on my landcruiser and I really like them too even more so than KO2. They look better in my opinion. Stay quiet and work better in snow.

I went with KO2 235/85/R16 after reading about 100 threads on here. I am in Memphis and deal mainly with gumbo mud but also use as daily driver. Great tire. I got the 16” TOYOTA SERIES 70 rims from dealer and tires from Costco. Couldn’t be happier.

I really like my Toyo AT3’s.

I’ve had KO, KO2, Toyo MT, KM3 and now these.

These are my top choice, the KM3 were really good but I don’t need a mud tire right now.

IMG_2367.jpeg

I’ll second hemialex on the Toyo. It’s a great all round tire and well built.

Cheers, James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom