Outfitting FJ62 to tow 3500# (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I hear ya, but a 5.3 swap can be done for under 10k, if you do it yourself.....but thats a BIG if
I’ve had friends try. Paiging @Kleatus

An LS swap isn’t cheap even if you get the engine for free.

I hear ya, but a 5.3 swap can be done for under 10k, if you do it yourself.....but thats a BIG if
3500 lb is about all I'd want for cross country higher speed towing in today's normal traffic with a 60's wheelbase, regardless of "improvements." I don't really agree that it's crazy or you have to get another vehicle. I've had a bunch more than that on the hook and never felt it was unsafe.

We've taken a ~2k lb mini truck bed camper trailer I made on 3k miles round trips the last 2 years in my 62 (V8) and I honestly don't notice it back there.
20220805_153059.jpg

I've towed with mine with the 3FE/A440 stock, on 33's with 4.88's, and now with a 5.3/NV4500/33's/4.88's (and now back to 4.11's). And yes, I did it all myself, swap was about $7k in parts, and the engine and trans was only $225 of that... it's not cheap.

My 100 is better on the road with this heavy old 19' Larson than the (now) more powerful FJ62. Yes it got dragged around with the 3FE too... but only locally.
20210504_184027.jpg

Last edited:
A 60 here is rated to tow either 1500kg, 2500kg or 2900kg depending on who you ask.

Admittedly I've got more power than stock, but I'd tow 2k kg with it quite happily.

Properly working trailer brakes are a non-negotiable, and brake upgrade on the truck would be nice, I've found a good upgrade with an 80 series booster, but if I was starting again I'd try and get 80 series axles under it, or at least the FROR (from memory) kit on the front and an 80 series rear.

Engine-wise, something with boost is nice for the hills, esp. At high altitude.

Having said that, I tow heavy things with an F250 6.7 tremor and there's no going back. Especially over there where something similar is easy to get, you'd probably be better spending the money on a dedicated tow rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom