New member introduction (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good morning everyone, just picked up an 89 fj62. Way late to the party, but wanted one for a while.

Started calling on trucks about 6 months ago, and finally found an original truck with good factory paint on Facebook.
Only it was in NH, and I'm in South Texas.
Called the owner, he seemed like a cool down to earth guy and was willing to work with me.
So I bought a plane ticket flew out looked at the truck, paid the man and drove it straight back through last weeks storm lmao, but made it home without issue.

Love this thing so far, no crazy plans for it. 5 speed, and a suspension refresh is a needed. Possibly a rear disc conversion, but I haven't fully decided which route I'll take to accomplish that.
Anyhow happy to join, I've used a lot of random Toyota knowledge from this site over the years. Hopefully I can make some contributions.
Although most of my knowledge is dealing with AE86, jzx's, and Supras.

FB_IMG_1704507454742.jpg

FB_IMG_1704507483942.jpg

Welcome to the 60 series! You'll like it here. Tons of information in these forums. Good looking truck too

Considering New Hampshire is in the top five worst winter road salt polluters, at first glance, you might have found a real gem…NICE!
Lmao, man it blew my mind. That's why I flew out instead of opting for transport.
He bought it off the original owner for a winter vehicle nearly 10 years ago iirc. Then decided it was too nice to use in the winter. So it sat in his barn except for family trips to the lake and such.

It came with all thr maintenance documents, receipts and random paperwork. No window sticker, but a lot of the other stuff.

That's one nice FJ62...

something to think about -

I am not speaking from experience - for improving braking you can look at putting a 1992 Toyota 4runner calipers and master on the cruiser this may or may not help your situation, its worth researching tough.

Personally I wouldn't change the rear drums out...

That's one nice FJ62...

something to think about -

I am not speaking from experience - for improving braking you can look at putting a 1992 Toyota 4runner calipers and master on the cruiser this may or may not help your situation, its worth researching tough.

Personally I wouldn't change the rear drums out...
Thank you, I'm certainly still in the research phase. There's a lot of good options it seems.

Welcome :flipoff2: <—official IH8MUD welcome

Clean rig. I’ll poke the bear here. Why swap to a 5 speed? Auto have issues? I know the drivability with stick and 3FE is awesome. Don’t blame you for changing it, just curious.

Clean rig. I’ll poke the bear here. Why swap to a 5 speed? Auto have issues? I know the drivability with stick and 3FE is awesome. Don’t blame you for changing it, just curious.
huh? Isn't the A440F known for being a Bogmatic?

Everything we have is m/t. Even the wife's daily. This is the odd ball haha. Also after diving cross country with the stock auto, all I can say about it is "It works". Felt like I needed another gear to make large hills/mountains easier.
But It got me home and didn't miss a beat.

Congrats on this purchase. I had this truck in my saved listings on FB marketplace for a few weeks. Looked like such a great rig for the price even before any negotiations. just didn't have the funds to buy it. Great score! Good luck with it!

Congrats on this purchase. I had this truck in my saved listings on FB marketplace for a few weeks. Looked like such a great rig for the price even before any negotiations. just didn't have the funds to buy it. Great score! Good luck with it!
Thanks man, yeah I slept on it a few days after talking with the owner. Decided "why not at least lool at it", so flew out and couldn't believe how clean it was.
They're so hard to get in decent shape now, so I decided now or never basically.

And Thanks again, I'll post some on it once I get some basics covered, and start working on the more fun things.

Welcome! I can lock the tires on my stock brake setup. If you think the truck's braking performance is lacking; new tires, new brake fluid, and a health check on the brake booster is recommended. Fresh rubber affects stopping distance a lot and with no ABS on these rigs, it's good to keep the tires in operating age/mileage range. Even if you can see tread, the compound age can still be leaving performance on the table, so check the make date code on the tires.

Sharp truck!

I'd sure power wash the bottom and squirt Fluid Film and oil all over the place to stop any existing rust that might be lingering from its NH home.

Welcome! I can lock the tires on my stock brake setup. If you think the truck's braking performance is lacking; new tires, new brake fluid, and a health check on the brake booster is recommended. Fresh rubber affects stopping distance a lot and with no ABS on these rigs, it's good to keep the tires in operating age/mileage range. Even if you can see tread, the compound age can still be leaving performance on the table, so check the make date code on the tires.
Yessir, right now I can tell I have very little rear brakes. Either the hardware inside the drums is partially froze, way out of adjustment, or the prop valve is not functioning correctly.
I haven't begun to troubleshoot it yet.
Right now I'm working a lot. So i began with ordering simple obvious parts the truck needed. -door & window seals, tire rod ends, headlights, simple maintenance items.

It didn't leak brake fluid anywhere upon the rushed pre trip inspection. Everything looked okay and not sketchy at all. also Didn't lose fluid during the drive.

The brakes were good enough for making it home, and brake pedal effort is normal so the booster seems fine, but it feels as only 5-10% of the rear brakes apply right now.

Sharp truck!

I'd sure power wash the bottom and squirt Fluid Film and oil all over the place to stop any existing rust that might be lingering from its NH home.
Thank you, as soon as I rolled into town I washed the whole thing. Even under the hood and radiator area. The truck has a thin coat of oil underneath the previous owner had applied a couple of years ago.
As far as I can tell he was honest with me about not using the truck in the winter.
All bolts have good threads and the zinc plating still. So I got lucky here. It was a major concern for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom