Outfitting FJ62 to tow 3500# (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all-

During a particularly high AQI stint this summer, my wife bought a 17ft R-Pod trailer, 2950# dry, and declared we would be smoke refugees on the Oregon coast. It’s a cute rig, but the towing vehicle was not fully considered before the purchase. We have towed it a couple times with her Macan with WDH and SB. It tows fine, but is really too big for the Macan and beats it up over Santiam Pass. The WDH is probably not the best with the unibody either…

On the last trip, my wife asked if the LC could be upgraded to to be a decent tow vehicle. My first response was even with brakes, transmission cooler and air bags it would be a slug in the mountains. But what about with an H55 and/or engine swap?

Can the 62 be a reliable tow rig, or should I sell my soul and get a F150?

If the 60 isn’t up to it, Get a 5.7 either in 200 or Tundra format and you won’t be disappointed.

100 is okay, 200 is a better rig for towing. If you consider all the add on’s needed to make the 62 a better tow vehicle (drivetrain/trans swaps, re-gear, bigger brakes and brake controller) it will make the situation more manageable.

In stock configuration it would do it but it would be very sluggish. Eventually the trans is going to heat up and die.

In my mind that $$ could be better spent on the right tool for the job. 200 or 100. Or pick up a F150 that will do the job and put a few LC stickers on it to mess with people.

unfortunately, there is no way to make your 62 tow 3k lbs comfortably outside of a ls swap or a 12v swap. The 3fe can barealy even pull its own weight at modern highway speeds, let alone a trailer. Those are the two most logical answers. You could go toyota and put a UZ motor in there but youll spend double the money. R2.8 would be 2-3x the cost of a 12v and less power. 4bt is slow

If you are looking for a third vehicle, skip the 100 series completely. My wifes 100 will tow our pop up camper but it does not tow it well and its slow. 2uz is a great motor.. just not for going fast or towing. you cant add power to them because they have super thin connecting rods. (boosted first gen 1uz being the only exception). 200 series would be better, or even a Chevy tahoe or a 1500 domestic truck (tundra, f150, silverado, etc). I tired towing my pop up camper with a 2f/h55f and it wouldnt even get up faster than 50 mph on the flat

If you are in oregon and find yourself up in the northern parts, youre welcome to drive my ls swapped 60 around to see if you like it. I put a bone stock 5.3 in it and i used it to tow my drift car (3,400 lbs) on a trailer (2,200 lbs) and i could cruise down the highway at 80 with it. Just remember to upgrade your brakes if you plan on adding more power to your 60

Last edited:
Get a 200. Prices are coming down. They’re not much more than an engine swap on a 60 now.

I have a 60 with a 2F and an H55F and a 62 with a 3FE and an H55F. Neither will tow 3500 on a good day. You’d need a lot of coin to get them up to the task. It’s more than power.

We paid low $20k’s for a high mileage 2011 and it’s a great truck. Staying stock so I can have a nice car for the wife and I can also tow. The 3UR is a monster.

IMG_5664.jpeg

I towed a loaded medium sized trailer with my 60 this weekend. I had to downshift under the slightest inclines. Albeit I was driving into some moderate headwinds. This is with a 3FE/H55F and 4:11s. The 3FE/ H55F is fantastic for daily driving, but not for towing. Also, for the cost of an LS swap to be done right if you’re not doing it yourself, you may as well buy another truck.

Thank you all for the input. Will keep the truck as it is and look for a different tow vehicle.

I’m in a different camp, because this is an ongoing discussion in our home. If it’s going to cost $25k to buy a tow vehicle, why not spend the $25k on making a truck you like able to tow? Then you don’t have to store and insure another vehicle that is used a few times a year. I’d rather engine swap one of our 60 series than spend $25k and deal with another vehicle. Food for thought.

If it’s a comfort thing, new seats can only help so much…then a different vehicle may be beat. Who knows.

Domestic full size trucks are great solutions for a lot of things. I daily an F-150. Is better/worse in various ways than the flavor of our LCs, but you can't knock their utility, comfort, power, and ownership cost. I'd find a cheap but well maintained pickup with a naturally aspirated V8 and long wheelbase, take care of it and it'll keep its resale.

Semi-hijack, any thoughts on FJ60 towing at a lower weight?
Considering a deal from a friend on a Little Guy Silver Shadow 5x10 Teardrop, base weight 1080lbs and say 1400-1500 loaded for a trip. Would be for overnight trips to the mountains within a 2-3 hour radius from my home.

Semi-hijack, any thoughts on FJ60 towing at a lower weight?
Considering a deal from a friend on a Little Guy Silver Shadow 5x10 Teardrop, base weight 1080lbs and say 1400-1500 loaded for a trip. Would be for overnight trips to the mountains within a 2-3 hour radius from my home.
hope you like doing 45 mph or so on flat highways! hahaha

You had me at 'to the mountains...'

I towed an 1800# popup camper up Raton (NM) pass behind an '87 FJ60 at 29 mph in 2nd gear. I did pass an old VW bus. Not much fun with tired hungry kids in the car and miles to go. I then bought an FZJ-80 to tow that, and now have an '01 Powerstroke F350 (and a somewhat larger camper).

hope you like doing 45 mph or so on flat highways! hahaha

I towed an 1800# popup camper up Raton (NM) pass behind an '87 FJ60 at 29 mph in 2nd gear. I did pass an old VW bus. Not much fun with tired hungry kids in the car and miles to go. I then bought an FZJ-80 to tow that, and now have an '01 Powerstroke F350 (and a somewhat larger camper).

Hah, fair enough. About what I thought.

Off topic - are you close to Trinidad? My brother has a cabin near the lake and I visit as often as I can. Love that area.

Get a 200. Prices are coming down. They’re not much more than an engine swap on a 60 now.

I have a 60 with a 2F and an H55F and a 62 with a 3FE and an H55F. Neither will tow 3500 on a good day. You’d need a lot of coin to get them up to the task. It’s more than power.

We paid low $20k’s for a high mileage 2011 and it’s a great truck. Staying stock so I can have a nice car for the wife and I can also tow. The 3UR is a monster.

View attachment 3451785
I hear ya, but a 5.3 swap can be done for under 10k, if you do it yourself.....but thats a BIG if

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom