FJ62 Stumble (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ocho77

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.op-art.guru
3FE stumbles when warm...and often dies. Starts right back up. Engine is de-smogged and has about 10k miles on a rebuild. In the video, I am not touching the gas pedal...it's doing it all on it's own:

So far I've replaced the following:
New fuel filter
New fuel pulsation dampener

Where do I head next? Fuel pressure regulator? Vaccuum leak? If I pull the hand throttle it will idle but smells of fuel.

Open to ideas/thoughts on where to go from here.

I've been chasing this issue as well. Have you pinned the diagnostic port?

I had a very similar issue with mine... replaced the AFM with a junkyard part and boom/fixed.

Don't guess! Test!

Do you have a copy of the Factory Service Manual? Here are the systems you need to investigate:

1710520224778.png

If you don't have the FSM, I think there's a downloadable version in the "Resources" section of this forum. It'll walk you through the diagnosis and repair.

I had a very similar issue with mine... replaced the AFM with a junkyard part and boom/fixed.
I did swap it out for another AFM I had here in my barn but the issue persists.

I believe there is a vacuum leak somewhere...just have to find it.

Don't guess! Test!

Do you have a copy of the Factory Service Manual? Here are the systems you need to investigate:

View attachment 3582415

If you don't have the FSM, I think there's a downloadable version in the "Resources" section of this forum. It'll walk you through the diagnosis and repair.
I do have a downloaded copy. Thank you!

I did swap it out for another AFM I had here in my barn but the issue persists.

I believe there is a vacuum leak somewhere...just have to find it.
I always think vacuum leak when an EFI system is hunting for idle, but it also sounds like there's a hard miss, which suggests ignition? Or both! Good luck!

I would set the TPS first. It’s free.
Do those get out of whack? It was running fine since I put the rebuilt engine in 3 years ago. That was my first instinct, but figured since it happened somewhat suddenly it wouldn't be the TPS.

TPS can definitely get out of whack .
I had some erratic rpms on my FJ62 when my coolant EFI sensor started to die. Computer didn't know what temp the engine was at anymore.
If it's not the TPS or any of the sensors (from checking with the ohm meter), sometimes looking for a bad connection by jiggling the harness or looking for corroded connectors may be a good place to check.

Does it miss regardless of being in gear or not? Has anything changed since the last post?

Check the coolant temp sensor on the thermostat housing. Ohms test it.
Mine wet bad a while ago, and caused misbehavior at idle and random funny starts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom