Builds A simple Troopy build thread.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah but, how was the ashtray?

When we used to encounter a "raisin" we would say something like " it's dented everywhere but the ashtray and that has file marks in it. " :lol:

Yeah but, how was the ashtray?

When we used to encounter a "raisin" we would say something like " it's dented everywhere but the ashtray and that has file marks in it. " :lol:
Hahahahahaha.....that's pretty funny. And a raisin is a great description!

I think....key word....the ashtray was actually OK. I think I bought a replacement though.

Am I right in sensing some sarcasm....or a LOT of sarcasm. Lol. I figured you'd get a kick out of these pics...

Definitely. But again, I actually think these trucks are a heck of a deal (at least mine was). Sure they've been beat up a bit... but they generally run quite well (if not with a few shade tree modifications) and don't have rust. Not having rust is a big plus in my book.

It's hard to find them unpainted. The mentality in the region is to spend a few thousand dirham on some bondo and a respray. It took me a long time to find my unpainted 40... and I could NOT for the death of me find an unpainted Troopy.

You've got an honest truck though. And you're doing it right.

Definitely. But again, I actually think these trucks are a heck of a deal (at least mine was). Sure they've been beat up a bit... but they generally run quite well (if not with a few shade tree modifications) and don't have rust. Not having rust is a big plus in my book.

It's hard to find them unpainted. The mentality in the region is to spend a few thousand dirham on some bondo and a respray. It took me a long time to find my unpainted 40... and I could NOT for the death of me find an unpainted Troopy.

You've got an honest truck though. And you're doing it right.

The rust is the main thing for me. I'll pay more gladly for no rust. I don't like dealing with it....even when it's removed, I'm always worried it's there...lurking. Probably because it is. Ha.

Whenever I stop by to see the painter....he just shakes his head in disbelief and then shows me something with about an 1" of bondo. Ha.

100% on the running...that truck fires up instantly....runs perfectly and I swear is as smooth driving as anything I own. Hard to believe. Can't wait to really start driving it.

The rust is the main thing for me. I'll pay more gladly for no rust. I don't like dealing with it....even when it's removed, I'm always worried it's there...lurking. Probably because it is. Ha.

Whenever I stop by to see the painter....he just shakes his head in disbelief and then shows me something with about an 1" of bondo. Ha.

100% on the running...that truck fires up instantly....runs perfectly and I swear is as smooth driving as anything I own. Hard to believe. Can't wait to really start driving it.

The best on mine was that they found three layers of different brand/type of bondo in one area... so it'd been redone twice. And one of the layers wasn't fully set, it was still pliable. As you say... poor vocational training.

The best on mine was that they found three layers of different brand/type of bondo in one area... so it'd been redone twice. And one of the layers wasn't fully set, it was still pliable. As you say... poor vocational training.

Same thing with mine....all kinds of different fillers. We can see where it had some type of lettering on the hood and the rear doors...wasn't visible enough to see what it was but something was there.

When we were up in TN for the 70 series event, the trails were so dusty that at times I couldn't see the truck in front of me(or the trail)...I was thinking to myself, this must have been exactly how that Troopy lived the majority of its life.....fesh-fesh everywhere.

Same thing with mine....all kinds of different fillers. We can see where it had some type of lettering on the hood and the rear doors...wasn't visible enough to see what it was but something was there.

When we were up in TN for the 70 series event, the trails were so dusty that at times I couldn't see the truck in front of me(or the trail)...I was thinking to myself, this must have been exactly how that Troopy lived the majority of its life.....fesh-fesh everywhere.
But the previous owners of that particular Troopy probably didn't enjoy BBQ at the end of the day. :lol:

Been a while since I updated...between the 70 series meetup and Overland Expo, I feel like I've been gone for months which is far from the case.

Troopy is coming along pretty well. A couple surprises around the windshield which I was anticipating. We'll cut it out, treat everything, weld in new metal and be done with it. This is why when a seller says, "it's just surface rust, it's not rotted", you never listen to them. I knew this was going to be the case.

20190925_140933.jpg

20190925_142038.jpg
20190925_142043.jpg

Lots and lots of sanding....inside too.

20190925_141954.jpg
20190925_141032.jpg
20190925_142008.jpg

More sanding pics....boring stuff. Painter keeps saying that once we get to primer, things move very fast.

Body shop work has got to be some of the most tedious, labor intensive work there is. Takes a special kind of person to subject themselves to this all day.

20190906_102935.jpg
20190925_140943.jpg
20190925_142055.jpg
20190906_102916.jpg
20190906_102840.jpg

Poor Troopy....shipped to the US from it's fesh-fesh laden homeland where it ran free rattling itself to death and baking in the sun to a new place with humidity, huge rain storms and Floridians.......given a full strip search and robbed of all it's Omanian bazaar seat cover treatments......subjected to a steaming hot spray down and then a fully invasive beauty treatment to expose all its flaws....all being exploited on the internet.

If this isn't the face of a sad Troopy, I'm not sure what is....

20190925_142119.jpg

The amount of rust is disheartening. I wonder what nasty surprises mine has under the nice new white paint. I wonder if I should get one of these:
1571759601963.png

They seem to come in 20 USD varieties and then a whole slew in the 100+ USD. Probably get what you pay for too...

I'd venture to guess a lot of the 70s on here have chowdered windshield frames under the seal. Probably far worse than this. If I was in the market for another 70 (that wasn't going to get fully rebuilt like my current one), I'd pull the windscreen, fix and rust inhibit the frame as preventative maintenance. Water likes to pool in those corners from what I see.

Just my opinion though.

I don't think that will tell you how much rust you have under the paint.
Granted, but the guy who sold it to me had a bunch of cosmetic stuff done, including paint. It either could or may not be hiding a multitude of plastic sins...

I'd venture to guess a lot of the 70s on here have chowdered windshield frames under the seal. Probably far worse than this. If I was in the market for another 70 (that wasn't going to get fully rebuilt like my current one), I'd pull the windscreen, fix and rust inhibit the frame as preventative maintenance. Water likes to pool in those corners from what I see.

Just my opinion though.

I was pretty happy with the rust....were talking a 25 year old truck that wasn't subjected to love and a garage. It's definitely a weak point and exactly where water goes. It's going to rot. You'd probably have to pull the windscreen every other year, inspect, treat, etc. New seal to replace a seal that has contracted slightly due to shrinkage....allowing water to get in there. Tough place. Maybe glues and sealants would help? Who knows. I thought I remember a glass guy telling me one time that one of the biggest things to watch out for with glass install or removal is scratching the paint in the windshield frame area(under the gasket)....it's where rust starts. Makes sense.

Granted, but the guy who sold it to me had a bunch of cosmetic stuff done, including paint. It either could or may not be hiding a multitude of plastic sins...

New white paint. Middle east. Old truck. Surprises ahead for sure. Not a big deal though. My truck had some really crappy body work and it was bugging me. Now it won't bug me and I know there is a minimal amount of filler and the rust has been slowed WAY down. My biggest gripe was that the body lines weren't sharp anymore....they kind of wandered all over the place. When I see a clean troopy, the body lines are always so crisp. Hoping mine comes out of paint like that....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom