Builds A New 55 Owner Intro (cgn1976 thread) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Me too, I miss that rig...so many good memories. My stepdad still has it, sitting on a hill-top at a lake property about two hours drive outside of Anchorage. It hasn't moved in nearly 20 years, engine still fires-up and all it does is winch gear up the hill from the lake.

With regards to filtration, growing-up my stepdad had a '73 Series III Land Rover (I know...I know), he was a stickler about clean fuel, would always run two glass filters in series, just cause. Now I have the same disease...
I almost bought a 2nd one but thought I'd be crazy doing that. Guess NOT! haha. parts store here we come!
And thanks ScrapD. Added to the list!

I have two pin hole leaks in my 1969 original gas tank. I am going to try and pull it, clean/boil, and either 1) coat the inside myself with the Eastwood tank repair kit or 2) take it to a radiator shop and have them do it. I have heard that the ethanol content in our gas does a number on coated tanks though.

Well, I think a boil out and maybe put in a coating to seal the rust if the tank isn't rusted through might be cheaper. There are no new FJ55 OEM tanks that I know of, so either aftermarket big tank ($) or a used rusted OEM tank. I'd work with what you have and use a clear fuel filter then monitor the filter for crud.
I've had a couple of 55 tanks boiled out and coated over the years. Ran about $100 or so at the local radiator shop. You might try just running it for awhile and seeing how long the new filter lasts and just change them out a few times. If the tank isn't too bad, most of the sediment may eventually flow out and be caught.
Still need to get down and get that winch my son picked up from you. Hope to see you and maybe Mark then.
Jim

Last edited:
Yeah I’d be polluting a couple of clear plastic filters before dropping the tank, see how long they last.

I tried that on mine and plugged the filter in 10min of driving...so my tank went to to Renu.

I think I would put on a good spin-on filter to keep that sediment out of my new carburetor and change the filter once a year until you do something about the tank.

Last edited:
I have heard that the ethanol content in our gas does a number on coated tanks though.
I don't think a little bit of ethyl alcohol would hurt most coatings at all. Ethanol will pick up more water and crud in an old tank and send it to the fuel filter as water is slightly more soluble in ethanol than regular gasoline.

Last edited:
I'm just finishing up putting a couple of those filter bases on my house generator. I'm using a Wix water separator filters with them. nice units.

Looking at the crud that came out of the filter seems maybe some plastic went in the tank at some point. My way of thinking would be to address the issue and have the tank boiled out, looked over and then treat the inside. Then you know the problem won't show up again. I'd go so far as replacing the fuel lines too. It just seems like good maintenance. I bet there's sediment in the fuel bowl, too.

Looking at the crud that came out of the filter seems maybe some plastic went in the tank at some point. My way of thinking would be to address the issue and have the tank boiled out, looked over and then treat the inside. Then you know the problem won't show up again. I'd go so far as replacing the fuel lines too. It just seems like good maintenance. I bet there's sediment in the fuel bowl, too.

So a little update. I put a 2nd inline fuel filter that you can see through. Not a speck of anything in there so far and running great! I'll keep and eye on it and may put that Wix unit suggested above in soon then run that see through unit after it for a visual.

On another note, I'm getting a suspenion grinding/creaking noise when I pull into my driveway from the front left of the truck. It's suspenion or steering related for sure and is clearly a metal to metal noise. It happens when the wheel is turned to the right pretty far (I try not to max it out) and the suspenion gets articulated. My driveway is on a slope and when I turn off the flat street, I have to turn around my other truck to get to my spot and if I go at more than a crawl it happens everytime. I'll post some pics under there. The ball joints all look realtively new and there's no play in any of them I can find with a pry bar. There is play on the spring bushings though. Not sure if that would be the casue here or not. Gonna replace those soon. Found this thread on that:

Guess I'll go part by part and see if I can find it

In the hunt for the suspension creak, I finally dragged the pavement queen onto some dirt today and I think I may have truly experienced the bad-assery that is a Pig! It was just some dirt trails that look like a lot of 4 wheelers hit close to my nieghborhood. Nothing too intense, although there were a few spots that articualted the suspension and pushed it WAY farther than I have ever pushed this thing. Some sections had holes on one side of the trail with bumps on the other. A few big mounds with pretty sharp angles I wasn't sure I'd clear. No worries at all! Man, this thing felt GREAT! Not creaking or complaing a bit! I have the stock springs on there with just some 32's...changed the shocks recently, but other than that, pretty much stock. Damn! I'm impressed and have a fat grin on my face! I think the truck does too! Pigs need to get dirty...who knew!

As for the creakiness, I got the spring bushings in the mail and attempted to knock the shackle bolts out and replace them today...I quickly realized that is going to be a wrestling match! Bit the bullet and bought some new greasable shackles from man-a-fre, thinking I might jack these up pulling them. Did some reading and have some ideas how to get em out...torch and maybe one of the portable hydrolic presses. Hopefully that will do it!

Last edited:
In the hunt for the suspension creak, I finally dragged the pavement queen onto some dirt today and I think I may have truly experienced the bad-assery that is a Pig! It was just some dirt trails that look like a lot of 4 wheelers hit close to my nieghborhood. Nothing too intense, although there were a few spots that articualted the suspension and pushed it WAY farther than I have ever pushed this thing. Some sections had holes on one side of the trail with bumps on the other. A few big mounds with pretty sharp angles I wasn't sure I'd clear. No worries at all! Man, this thing felt GREAT! Not creaking or complaing a bit! I have the stock springs on there with just some 32's...changed the shocks recently, but other than that, pretty much stock. Damn! I'm impressed and have a fat grin on my face! I think the truck does too! Pigs need to get dirty...who knew!

As for the creakiness, I got the spring bushings in and attempted to knock the shackle bolts out and replace them today...I quickly realized that is going to be a wrestling match! Bit the bullet and bought some new greasable shackles from man-a-fre, thinking I might jack these up pulling them. Did some reading and have some ideas how to get em out...torch and maybe one of the portable hydrolic presses. Hopefully that will do it!
Your ready for the pig party, need another stock rig this year

As for the creakiness, I got the spring bushings in the mail and attempted to knock the shackle bolts out and replace them today...I quickly realized that is going to be a wrestling match! Bit the bullet and bought some new greasable shackles from man-a-fre, thinking I might jack these up pulling them. Did some reading and have some ideas how to get em out...torch and maybe one of the portable hydrolic presses. Hopefully that will do it!
Well, I'm stupid...not that everyone hadn't aready figuered that out based on this thread! I went to HF to buy a hydrolic portable press thing today to push the pins out on the shackles, but they were out of stock, so I went out to give it hell by hand at lunch with the torch and hammer! Turns out the shackles are not stock but are a 2 piece unit with both pins welded to one side and then a removable plate on the other. All I had to do was take off both nuts (which I didn't do yesterday) and hit it with a hammer a few times. lol! Took me 30 minutes to do both sides and I didn't even have to take the wheels/tires off. hah! Anyway, the bushings in the spring were a little crusty but the top ones were pretty decent. They likely were replaceded back in 2012 when the current overhaul took place. I sort of doubt this is the source of my noise. Either way, it has been a little shifty when I hit the brakes, so I'm guessing this should help that a little and if not, at least it's piece of mind and one less thing to worry about! Bonus is I already ordered a set of greasable shackles so I know how to put those in real quick now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom