94 Land Cruiser gas capacity? Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, so ive read most if not all land cruisers 80 series have a 25gal tank? Well my new to me 94 old records show a gas tank and pump replacement. My question is, were there any year land cruisers with a smaller gas tank? Underneath mine appears to look OEM.

At the pump it accepts about 15gal from empty. I get about 185 miles a tank.. The gas gauge shows full and empty as normal. Half way on the gauge is about 60miles. I guess I havent ran it till the gas light comes on, seems like it doesnt? I replaced the bulb but when the gauge is on or just below empty theres no low gas indicator lamp on.. Am I just out out of luck with the range of a 25gal or am I missing something? I feel my fuel economy is normal. But dang I have a road trip coming up and I dont want to stop for gas twice as often.

My gas gauge seems to be kind of inaccurate. Above half it drops slow then below that to empty is super fast then it seems to sit at empty until the gas light is on. I usually monitor mileage.

I think the gas light comes on with 5 gallons left so if you get to that point testing it you should be good to make it somewhere

When my needle is on E I still have 20 litres /5 gals of fuel in the tank!

Mine is a 93 and it holds 90 litres/25 gallons.

Mine does the same thing as @bhsdriller... gas light on with 5 gallons remaining. I usually fill it up around 230miles, which is before the gas light comes on. It could probably go 300 miles on a tank but I haven't tried that yet.

I have run my truck out of gas a number of times and have coasted into the pump.

I can verify that the tank holds exactly 25 gallons, if you top it up full.

Before I had replaced my cracked tank, my light came on at exactly 5 gallons left. Now it comes on about 3 gallons left (I used the same pump assembly from the old tank) so I either bumped the arm and sensor or the bottom of the tank is a little higher than the old one.

All USA 80 series came with a 25 gallon factory tank and the ones with more (imported or otherwise) had an additional tank for more capacity.

Run it to empty and fill it for reference.

I average 11.8 MPG over the last 2 years, so I get about 295 miles per tank (25 gallons) and since my tires are 33" instead of 31", I actually run about 5% less miles than that before I run out, so about 280 on a full 25 gallons when adjusted for tire size and known average mileage.

Mine does the same thing as @bhsdriller... gas light on with 5 gallons remaining. I usually fill it up around 230miles, which is before the gas light comes on. It could probably go 300 miles on a tank but I haven't tried that yet.

I go 300 miles then I fill. I have yet to see the gas light come on. When I changed my fuel sock it was on E. I was shocked how much fuel was in the tank when I removed the lid!
When I get to E all she takes is 70-75 litres. About 5 gallons.

Some day I am going to take a fuel can and run it till I see the fuel light. Although I hate running takes dry!

So theoretically I should get about 365-375 miles from full to empty :rofl:

I never seen the gas light come on. I usually fill up when it gets to 1/4 tank which about 15 gallons.

I never seen the gas light come on. I usually fill up when it gets to 1/4 tank which about 15 gallons.

Recently I ran mine down enough to make sure the light still works (it does - last check was 4 years ago).

I am sorry to say that what you have is not normal. The tank should hold 25.1 gallons. My ‘94 can cover 150 miles at the halfway mark and the light comes on around 250 miles. The light comes on with approx 5 gallons left in the tank.

There is something seriously wrong if you can only fill up with 15 gallons and you are getting only 60 miles to the half way mark.

Also I am assuming that you're not towing anything?

I am sorry to say that what you have is not normal. The tank should hold 25.1 gallons. My ‘94 can cover 150 miles at the halfway mark and the light comes on around 250 miles. The light comes on with approx 5 gallons left in the tank.

There is something seriously wrong if you can only fill up with 15 gallons and you are getting only 60 miles to the half way mark.

Also I am assuming that you're not towing anything?
Nope not towing. And miles per gallon I'm sitting close to 12. I'm thinking either the gauge is far off, like when it's on E I still have 10 gallons.. or when they replaced the gas tank they went with a smaller one..

I was reading about someones issue with the fuel vent, but correct if I'm wrong but that just limits from being able to fill the gas tank completely. My gas gauge does read full after filling

My money is that they installed a smaller tank :(

Not much to say other than to check the tank capacity manually. I'm in the 25gal total fill with the low level light religiously coming on around 5gal left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom