93 FZJ80 Swamp Thing Resurrection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What started out as a donor vehicle purchase for my 97 LX has now turned into a resurrection project. I originally picked Swamp Thing out of the woods where it sat for 4 years as it was one of the infamous "ran when parked" vehicles. At the time, I was looking for some donor parts, rocker, panels, and a frame portion (thanks New England roads) so I really didn't care what the driveline was like.

I went and looked and it was very solid, straight, only had minimal surface rust underneath and originally hailed from Georgia, but it had a few issues. The window was left down for a few years letting the funk of 4 seasons wreak havok on the gray leather interior and essentially turning it into a moldy mouse brothel. The owner originally parked it due to an electrical issue that kept draining the battery and the transmission would only shift manually. All that didn't matter, I needed the skeleton.

Fast forward a week and I get it home where my wife immediately questions my sanity. I tell her, it's just parts, I'll strip it and it'll be gone. So I power washed the dark emerald exterior and it seemed to have a little life left to it. I hogged out the interior in a hazmat suit then roll it into the garage to put it on jacks. Underneath was surprisingly clean for a vehicle that even sniffed New England and I started to feel a little guilt creep in about cutting it up. I figured, maybe I should see if it will run.
IMG_1169.jpg

IMG_1170.jpg

IMG_1174.jpg

IMG_1193.jpg

IMG_4057.jpg

I put a battery in and tried to fire it up. Turned over good, had great compression, but no spark, no fuel. I did remove the mouse condo from the air filter prior to trying. Bad fusible link. Replaced that and a shot of starting fluid and it started right up coughing out years of nests, skeletons, and acorns that were stuffed way up in the tail pipe. A little fresh gas and it sounded beautiful with only 200k on the clock. Smoother than my 97 with 257k. Now I REALLY felt bad if I was going to cut this up.

Now I needed a plan. The driveway was getting full and I was getting the hairy eyeball from the wife about the collection of vehicles. So I came up with my plan and this is where I'm going to track it. I sold my triple locked 97 LX450 to fund this adventure!

What it is:
1993 Land Cruiser, Dark Emerald Green with Gray interior. Rear drum semi-float rear end. Stock everything.

The goal!
Originally I was going to work on the interior and a few gremlins then run it. Working with my friend, who is also a Land Cruiser guy, the plan that had started to come together was now a little bigger than I planned. What's on deck now? Full rust remediation and paint underneath and inside. The floors have surface rust in a few areas from the years of weather inside so everything is getting stripped, sanded, treated, and painted. We also picked up a donor 3x locked 94 with a blown motor that will supply me new front and rear axles along with everything needed to add the lockers. 2" Ironman lift, new 285/75/16 sneakers (TBD), new front seats...something comfy enough for road trips and trails. Fingers are crossed to this on the road for spring! Join me in my nightmare!!! :)

Interior is mostly hogged out now with some samples of mouse damage 🙄. Still need to pull the headliner which I’m dreading. I can feel nests up there. Debating on fixing the wiring harness or throwing a new one in. Also some of the extra wires I found that were laying live in miscellaneous areas.

IMG_1223.jpeg

IMG_1278.jpeg

IMG_1407.jpeg

IMG_1408.jpeg

In the plan.

I’ve got the new tranny solenoids in and same issue with it not shifting.
IMG_1567.jpeg

So I’m thinking it’s gotta be electrical. Connections seem good, then I pulled the TCM 😬
IMG_1582.jpeg

I’m thinking this could be part of the problem. Getting all the stuff from my donor vehicle this weekend so 🤞

so why go all through this to get basically what you already had? Not dogging at you at all, just curious if you like the older 80s better, itching for a project, or...? Also way to get after it. seeing that progress has got to be very satisfying.

so why go all through this to get basically what you already had? Not dogging at you at all, just curious if you like the older 80s better, itching for a project, or...? Also way to get after it. seeing that progress has got to be very satisfying.
No, it’s a good question. My Lexus I had ran great, but needed the rockers replaced due to rot, the rear cross member was also rotted through as was the hitch, and there were maybe two straight panels on it. When I bought it, it was just for fun and something to wheel with rather than beating my Rubicon all the time. I did plan on working through the issues, and while I can do all the other mechanical and body work, welding isn’t in my wheelhouse right now. So I originally picked this up as a donor since it was solid compared to mine. I was going to cut it up and part it out and replace what I needed.

When I got it home and went through it, it was in better shape than I thought and looking at what I needed to replace in the Lexus I felt there was less work to bring this one back from the dead so I sold the Lexus. Now I’ll use that money to restore this one. Ultimately the bones are better for restoration and this better fits my skill sets and what I enjoy doing.

I always like to have something to work on, I enjoy my garage. That’s one reason I have several vehicles so I can always have one to tinker with.

Ok, also my wife hated the Lexus from the time I bought it. Like visceral hate and she could never pinpoint why. So that helped in the decision process 🤣. She likes this one and can already see driving it. So that’s it in a nutshell.
This is ultimately where I want to be with it when I’m done:

IMG_1512.jpeg

It’s the best year and best color
And no plastic cladding 😉
What’s more to say !!

It’s the best year and best color
And no plastic cladding 😉
What’s more to say !!
I do like the color and year and the right amount of cladding lol. I’ve always loved the fender flares on these.

Got the new donor cruiser stripped and if anyone was, an 80 will nearly entirely fit into the back of a 100
IMG_1608.jpeg
IMG_1595.jpeg
IMG_1605.jpeg
IMG_1606.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom